26 Flagships - Variable Flagship Challenge

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Gidoza

26 Flagships - Variable Flagship Challenge

Postby Gidoza » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:24 am

NEW VERSION AS OF DECEMBER 30, 2017

Hello, everyone!

I previously had a post about this mod, but this is a more complete version of the matter, so I'll just start over. :)

Based on the "Flagship Randomizer" (located here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26241&start=180), I offer the following mod for the FTL Community: the Custom Flagship Set. Rather than having purely randomly generated Flagships, what this set contains is 26 human-made Flagship designs that are thoroughly tested and intended to be balanced, but with a wide array of different styles and challenges. That doesn't mean everything is perfectly done, but it DOES mean that you can have an interesting fight each time and know for sure that the battle will be worthwhile - and also different, every time.

Included is a tiny program that will pick a random Flagship for you and shroud its name so you don't know which one you're fighting until you get there. You can choose to keep playing against the same Flagship each time, or randomize it every game if you like. Just make sure that the list of Flagships is in the same folder as the randomizing program, and you're good to go!

All you have to do: make sure that the mod "Custom Flagships" is the second-to-last mod in Slipstream, and make your Flagship choice the very last mod in Slipstream - engage the mod, and you're ready to play!

Additionally, I've added a customized version of FTL Captain's Edition that makes all the ships in the game have different starting layouts, just for a different feel if you like (every ship costs between 996 to 999 scrap when all systems, ammo, and crew are added together...call me picky).

Enjoy, everyone! And please do send feedback - VerdenLeafglow@gmail.com

Cheers!
-Gidoza

http://www.filedropper.com/26flagships11

EDIT Dec. 21, 2017: Just a note that the mod SHOULD work with basically any other mod as well as Vanilla. The Flagship mod itself only affects the Flagship and is totally independent of anything else, so you won't get any conflicts, but it's for AE only. :)

EDIT Dec. 30, 2017: New version out, version 1.1 - Fixed a bug whereby Drones on the 3rd round against the Flagship wouldn't launch (for the Flagship). It should work fine now!
Last edited by Gidoza on Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keneteu

A

Postby Keneteu » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:39 pm

Created my account for this because you deserve MUCH more attention:

To everyone that spent too much time that they're willing to admit on this game : THIS IS THE ULTIMATE MOD FOR ALL OF YOU

I've been playing with random flagship for a while now, but every random flagship is almost always way too easy to handle.
THIS on the other hand, feels like playing for the first time every time : Every flagship created is unique and had a proper gimmick to hit, which WILL require specific equipment/counter for each, what worked in the past won't ever on any new flagship.

this increases the longevity by at least a 10 times fold, with this I feel like I will (almost) never run out of things to fight
the balance and the new starting ship equipment is also REAAAALLY good, it allows new strategy/approches for each ship, and most of the weapons has been rebalanced as well, allowing for (almost) every weapon to be viable

don't think you'll have a easy time though, even if you have thousand of hours put into this game, each of these flagship is really hard to handle, way more than the original obviously, this is something for those who will enjoy trying to find a lot of strategies to fight one and each of these ships.

and to Gidoza, THANK YOU REALLY MUCH FOR THIS MOD!

PS: Oh, in case you were wondering, a lot of effort has also been put into the flagship's power surges, each adequatly adapted to the new flagships, expect to be really surprised when each of these things pops up
the layout of the flagship is also remade, which deepens even further the originality of each flagship.
Gidoza

Re: 26 Flagships - Variable Flagship Challenge

Postby Gidoza » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:44 pm

Keneteu - Thank you!!! My, that's a pretty resounding bout of support, and I appreciate it! It's my pleasure to produce something like this; you're welcome and I'm very glad you enjoy it.

By the way, if you notice any obvious flaws in a ship, do let me know - I THINK I've gone through all the kinks, but let's be honest - silly things happen! :)
Gidoza

Postby Gidoza » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:48 pm

I don't know if anyone's played the mod enough to have a "favourite" Flagship - but if you do, what is it and what about it?

My favourite is definitely X, followed by Y - but I won't say the reason just yet...they need to be experienced. Let's just say that these are proof that unconventional designs work really well. :)
Keneteu

Postby Keneteu » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:26 pm

I'm trying actually to go through them in order at the moment, but as fow now, Flagship C is the one that gave me the hardest time since you have to carefully plan EVERYTHING in advance to make it through, so i'd say it's my favorite (for now) considering how much on an hard time it gave me!
Keneteu

Postby Keneteu » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:40 am

Maybe flagship E SHOULDN'T have a clonebay, and instead trade the 4 man teleporter on phase 3 with a drone system full of boarding drones, this ship felt like a cakewalk because of the clonebay, i also sensed that it was waaay too weak against hacking
Gidoza

Postby Gidoza » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Keneteu wrote:I'm trying actually to go through them in order at the moment, but as fow now, Flagship C is the one that gave me the hardest time since you have to carefully plan EVERYTHING in advance to make it through, so i'd say it's my favorite (for now) considering how much on an hard time it gave me!

I actually really appreciate this comment as C is one of the non-standard types that has no damage-dealing weapons - I'm glad it can be effective! Actually, C is the only one I've lost against in the last couple days, it was a disaster...

Keneteu wrote:Maybe flagship E SHOULDN'T have a clonebay, and instead trade the 4 man teleporter on phase 3 with a drone system full of boarding drones, this ship felt like a cakewalk because of the clonebay, i also sensed that it was waaay too weak against hacking

I'll need more details here to see what you're seeing. Why is it a cakewalk because of the clonebay first of all (Flag C has Cloning, so why the one and not the other?)? Secondly, Hacking is awesome against basically any Flagship, so that's why I need more detail. :P
Gidoza

Postby Gidoza » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:09 pm

NEW VERSION AS OF DECEMBER 30, 2017

http://www.filedropper.com/26flagships11

Fixed a problem with Drone-launching on the 3rd round against the Flagship - should work fine now! Let me know if there are any problems - and yes, you'll have to replace all of the files. :)
ejhockey

Postby ejhockey » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:04 am

Thanks for making this mod! I'm excited to try it out!

I am a Mac user so the CustomFlagshipRandomizer.jar file doesn't seem to run correctly. There is a popup that asks me to identify a directory where the flagship files are, but I don't see how to select the directory.

If CustomFlagshipRandomizer.jar is just to randomize which one is chosen, then no problem, because I don't know what any of them are anyways. :P

That said, what is "CustomFlaghships 1.1.ftl" for? Is that needed or should I just mod with the "Flagship #.ftl" file?

Some kind of readme file would be great!

Thanks again.
Gidoza

Postby Gidoza » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:19 pm

ejhockey wrote:Thanks for making this mod! I'm excited to try it out!

I am a Mac user so the CustomFlagshipRandomizer.jar file doesn't seem to run correctly. There is a popup that asks me to identify a directory where the flagship files are, but I don't see how to select the directory.

If CustomFlagshipRandomizer.jar is just to randomize which one is chosen, then no problem, because I don't know what any of them are anyways. :P

That said, what is "CustomFlaghships 1.1.ftl" for? Is that needed or should I just mod with the "Flagship #.ftl" file?

Some kind of readme file would be great!

Thanks again.

Hello - yes the .jar file randomizes the Flagship amongst the selections. I hadn't thought of a Mac version of the randomizer but that could be possible.

As for Custom Flagships 1.1 - that has all the data for the weapons and drones that the variants use. The individual letters are the designs that pull from the data in this file.

Anyways...presently going to do some testing to make sure this all works in the latest version of FTL. Stay tuned!