Player AI ships crew loss crash fix (v3)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
meklozz

Player AI ships crew loss crash fix (v3)

Postby meklozz » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:01 am

So I played with an automated ship today, and it crashed on me. I remembered that I read this was a common issue, so I figured I'd change the events that make you lose crew to check whether you actually have any beforehand. It's not perfect, for one the events are still possible and make it look like you're sending crew (removing those events wouldn't be great either since you may get crew later), and two, it means you may get some free rewards - there's no risk to those events in that situation now, but I think it's better than having the game crash on you (in which case you can still get that free stuff).

As I've been playing some CE lately, it has a lot of different types of events that won't fully work with this (might have to choose between continuing an event and actually going through the losing crew and cloning check). At this point, I can't really call it compatible.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18243056/crewcrashV3.ftl

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gcykmjy1xgj5zkf/crewcrashV3.ftl?dl=0

changelog

Code: Select all

V3:
-fixed some badly named crew tags
-fixed a few differently structured vanilla events
V2:
-no more issue with loading it multiple times (if you're a modder, you can just add it to your ship if you want and it's still fine if someone loads my ftl file anyway), but you can also link here
-accounting for races even for modded game (events like engi virus, selling off a lanius) (the file is a bit bigger, but not much and it doesn't seem to slow anything down, so it's staying)
Last edited by meklozz on Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:15 am, edited 13 times in total.
Gencool

Re: Player AI ships crew loss crash fix

Postby Gencool » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:51 am

I like it!

Funny enough, I was actually thinking about making a version of this myself.

I might have a solution for the 'loading twice' thing, but really you just need to ask modders to link to your file but not include it.

Look forward to giving it a whirl at some point =D
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:08 pm

Thanks, I think I got the multiple loadings solved, too, as long as it's fine to leave random 'marker tags' lying around after patching. :)

I'm thinking about making it recognize races lost in the removeCrew thing. I did the two vanilla game ones manually (the Virus and selling a lanius), as for the others, I'm not sure if it can be done without a ridiculous amount of text to account for all the races... Oh well, it's not that big a deal.
Anistuffs

Postby Anistuffs » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:28 pm

I've added it to the Known Issues section of Automaton. As I've mentioned on reddit, adding something like a message along the lines of 'You do not have the required crew members so you leave the beacon.' when you select a crew for an event would be the best solution as that makes sure that a player won't get those free stuff you mentioned. Not sure if that's possible but that would be the best solution. Till then, this is what we got and it's great :)
Anistuffs - The Indian Let's Player.
Here's my Youtube channel with over 1500 LP videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Anistuffs
Why not pop over and say hi :)
Biohazard063

Re: Player AI ships crew loss crash fix (v3)

Postby Biohazard063 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:55 pm

I'll be adding a link to this on my Anomaly, Triumvirate, Scapper S-063B and The AI-Cruisers pack.

Thanks !
One of the biggest problems with AI ships have hereby been resolved. At least what I saw to be the biggest problem. Crashing is just a big no-no... :|
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.