What is the "Soundtrack" ship?

General discussion about the game.
Pax

What is the "Soundtrack" ship?

Postby Pax » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:18 pm

I'm assuming we've all seen the soundtrack cover, yes? Well, what is that ship? Just cover art? A concept that was scrapped?

Keep in mind that this is just the top left corner of the ship, and that it clearly extends further out. The ship has Federation colors. Is this concept art of the Federation flagship? After all, it makes much more sense for them to have their own design. (Also note, the Federation and rebel cruisers differ, as well.)

This part of the ship alone has enough rooms to have all of the systems and subsystems in-game (Important = Pre-AE, this ship is long before that update.) Not to mention, it has hallways, which most ships don't, as you usually just walk through other rooms. Even the Rebel Flagship doesn't have corridors.

The ship itself also appears to be under construction, as can be told by the exposed engine (?) At the top of the cover.

I'd like to get it out of the way that this is, in fact, NOT a scrapped background. The ship has exposed rooms, and that wouldn't work well as a background.

This also seems to be something useful (or disappointing, seeing as it is unfinished) for someone who mods.

To finish this thought up, here's the picture of it.

Thoughts?
Kieve

Re: What is the "Soundtrack" ship?

Postby Kieve » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:21 am

A very early concept of the Kestrel, that's all.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:27 am

That is what I call the "Kestrel v2", this was the second concept art for the Kestrel- the player ship. It had a few issues and was cut- one of this was being way to big.

Here is the "mk 1", very first picture of FTL: (keep in mind- still "kestrel")
mk 2: (note, the very cool 'floor' image (normally the grey stuff around ships rooms on player ships) was meant to be MUCH more detailed and you can see how power is distributed across the ship like this through the movement of parts and glowing and so on and on and on. however it was considered to hard there is a mod that does a simulator thing in the aspect of cooler floor plans)
here is the "mk 3" and "mk4" side by side:

And note: the "mk 4" as I call it isn't the current game- the game is the 5th version. the 4th had warning stripes around the room and other details.

What you see there is just the Kestrel but in an earlier form. in full image you can still see it vaguely with the location of the helm and the large side engines and the general shape.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Pax

Postby Pax » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:48 am

R4V3-0N wrote:That is what I call the "Kestrel v2", this was the second concept art for the Kestrel- the player ship. It had a few issues and was cut- one of this was being way to big.

Here is the "mk 1", very first picture of FTL: (keep in mind- still "kestrel")
mk 2: (note, the very cool 'floor' image (normally the grey stuff around ships rooms on player ships) was meant to be MUCH more detailed and you can see how power is distributed across the ship like this through the movement of parts and glowing and so on and on and on. however it was considered to hard there is a mod that does a simulator thing in the aspect of cooler floor plans)
here is the "mk 3" and "mk4" side by side:

And note: the "mk 4" as I call it isn't the current game- the game is the 5th version. the 4th had warning stripes around the room and other details.

What you see there is just the Kestrel but in an earlier form. in full image you can still see it vaguely with the location of the helm and the large side engines and the general shape.

Wow, the Kestrel was originally massive. You could have easily confused it for some ground-breaking ship rather than some "old, re-purposed craft."

There goes me acting like this was all a mystery, and then suddenly having all of this information before me.

Thanks!
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:33 am

no worries. I know a lot about the ye-olde days of FTL. such as ship / factions that never got in as well as some other oddities.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:34 pm

In that regard I just recently found this article: http://videogamewriters.com/sunday-side ... ames-58048
Good reading on Justins design decisions.
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:51 pm

Maybe perhaps scaled down a bit, I'd love to see a ship based on the Mk II kestrel as a mod!
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:07 am

Actually, are there mods for the old kestrel model? And you are right, The Mk II is a big frelling ship!
I whipped up the floor plan in superliminal, and I'd say, i'd be an interesting layout to play with, though the layout could use a little better ventilation considering how large it is if you ask me.