[Ship][AE][CE ready] The Nebula Drifter

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Biohazard063

[Ship][AE][CE ready] The Nebula Drifter

Postby Biohazard063 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:23 am

Origin
The second ship in the range of ships starting with custom artillery (,the first one being the Magpie.) and the 4th ship in the collaboration between me and Anistuffs. This one took a lot more work since it also features "custom" art on it's starting weapon and artillery. So you get 2 custom weapons for the price of one on this one. And I learned a lot on custom weapon creation.

The Nebula Drifter
This prototype slug cruiser is equipped with 2 experimental weapons, the Chaos Cluster Bomb and the Arc Beam, to defeat the crew of enemy ships.
Download :
Dropbox :Link
Mediafire : Link

Weapon specs :
Chaos Cluster Bomb
The artillery mounted on this cruiser. A weapon that fires 3 bombs with a chance to cause a fire, create a breach or stun the crew. Only 1 effect can happen, but each separate bomb can have a different effect. Seeing how this is an artillery weapon it doesn't require a missile to fire.

Arc Beam
A modified Anti-Bio Beam, deals half the crew damage but also does 1 damage to systems (no hull damage). This makes it a great weapon to completely cripple ships and could make the Arc Beam a viable weapon late game.

Storyby Anistuffs
Dr. Kaputar was secretly pleased when the slug prototype cruiser was repossessed by the Federation to aid them in the war against the Rebels. The rogueish mercenary sect that had hired her to develop the diabolical Anti-Bio Beam planned to equip the cruiser with the weapon and then they would have free reign in the slug home nebula to do as they please.

In midst of the chaos caused by the lone Federation ship taking control of the prototype cruiser and the incoming Rebel fleet in pursuit of said ship, Dr. Kaputar managed to flee to an abandoned sector hoping the threat of the lanius incursion would prevent the mercenary sect from coming after her. There she met up with one of her old colleagues, an engi scientist who was researching the newly invented explosive replicator technology with help from some lanius scientists.

Together, the multi-racial scientists managed to create an artillery bomb weapon that was capable of generating its own ammunition supply from metal debris. A minor glitch in the weapon's programming caused the bombs to either explode in flames or hull-shredding shrapnels or electrostatic shocks. As a joke, one of the assistants christened the unfinished weapon the Chaos Cluster Bomb.

The scientists also developed a modified less-lethal version of the Anti-Bio Beam. This weapon, termed the Arc Beam, was capable of generating an electrical arc in the target ship and thereby, caused substantial damage to system and minor damage to personnel.

Unfortunately, Dr. Kaputar had severy underestimated the wrath of her former employers. The slug mercenary sect had developed another prototype cruiser and using it, attacked the science base.

The poorly defended scientists would've all been killed in the battle had it not been for a lanius cruiser that happened to jump into the star system at the same time. The lanius cruiser employed a lanius boarding crew to defeat the slugs and capture the cruiser moderately undamaged.

Unfortunately, Dr. Kaputar died in the conflict along with many scientists. As the prototype slug cruiser was towed to the science base, it was found that two of Dr. Kaputar's old slug assistants was locked up in the brig. As it turns out, the mercenaries had tortured the two to find out where Dr. Kaputar had escaped.

While everyone mourned the deaths of the many scientists, the two slug assistants vowed revenge against the mercenaries for their torture. However, they realized that they were simply no match for the mercenaries with their resources.

It was at this time they found out that the Shrike, the lanius cruiser that assisted them, was in fact delivering a vital data to the Federation base which would turn the tide of the war. And so, they were pursued by a huge Rebel fleet.

The slug assistants realized that with the Federation back in power, they would definitely attempt to curb the mercenary sect. Thus, they decided to assist the Shrike in carrying the vital data through a different route to elude the Rebels. They patched up the prototype cruiser they were imprisoned in and equipped it with the Arc Beam and the Chaos Cluster Bomb, seeing as the missile supply of the ship had run dry during the battle. The damaged medbay was replaced with a clonebay and to compensate for the lack of any hull damage weapons, the engi scientists fit a drone system on the ship with a combat drone schematic.

Thus, the two slugs, accompanied by one engi, set off on their arduous odyssey through the universe aboard their former prison, which they now christened The Nebula Drifter.

Showcase's
Mayden Voyage : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdO1W-zCQH8

Anistuffs Showcase :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEZInzYpXIk

Credit
Kartoflane : Creator of the Superluminal Program
Sleeper Service : Major help in understanding custom weapon creations
Anistuffs : Co-designer and Co-let's player.
Last edited by Biohazard063 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
stylesrj

Re: [Ship][AE][CE ready] The Nebula Drifter

Postby stylesrj » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:25 am

Aww man, I want to do a run with this ship as well now :lol:

But which to make a video out of? This one and the Scrap Boat? By the time I do that another cool ship would have been released :lol:
redlerred7

Postby redlerred7 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:16 am

Just did a run on normal. It's a bit more challenging a ship than I'm used to but it's certainly fun. I managed to get another bio beam, and a hacking module early in the game. Hacked their shields then beamed them to death. It's a shame I needed two volleys to do it, though. I can only easily take down Zoltans the way it was.

I ended up dying when I jumped into nebula and had to fight a missile armed rebel while I had 5-10 hull, no more drone parts, and no weapons that could pierce two shields. I was one jump from a store too. If I managed to repair to green and resupply, I would have won

Well, as I said, it's a fun ship. I might try again on easy next time.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:40 am

redlerred7 wrote:I ended up dying when I jumped into nebula and had to fight a missile armed rebel while I had 5-10 hull, no more drone parts, and no weapons that could pierce two shields. I was one jump from a store too. If I managed to repair to green and resupply, I would have won

Irony! :roll:
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:16 pm

redlerred7 wrote:Just did a run on normal. It's a bit more challenging a ship than I'm used to but it's certainly fun. I managed to get another bio beam, and a hacking module early in the game. Hacked their shields then beamed them to death. It's a shame I needed two volleys to do it, though. I can only easily take down Zoltans the way it was.

I ended up dying when I jumped into nebula and had to fight a missile armed rebel while I had 5-10 hull, no more drone parts, and no weapons that could pierce two shields. I was one jump from a store too. If I managed to repair to green and resupply, I would have won

Well, as I said, it's a fun ship. I might try again on easy next time.

Ok, have to ask this now. Did the Bio-Beam have the original colors? I know it should, but Bio beam is rare as heck so...

Thought the fact that you could use the Arc Beam to keep shields and weapons down without causing hull damage would make it easier to kill crew. Sure, half crew damage makes it last longer but being able to keep those 2 systems down should make it easier.

Anyway, glad you all enjoyed it so far. And thanks for trying it out.

Stylesrj, if you do end up creating a video, let me know. Definitely watching that and putting the link up here as well.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
redlerred7

Postby redlerred7 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:41 pm

Biohazard063 wrote:Ok, have to ask this now. Did the Bio-Beam have the original colors? I know it should, but Bio beam is rare as heck so...

Thought the fact that you could use the Arc Beam to keep shields and weapons down without causing hull damage would make it easier to kill crew. Sure, half crew damage makes it last longer but being able to keep those 2 systems down should make it easier.

Anyway, glad you all enjoyed it so far. And thanks for trying it out.

The I don't recall. I think it was the original, but I'm not sure.

Also, I died in an ion storm and I only had a chain laser and the arc beam powered. I'm just really unlucky that their missiles keep hitting my weapons room
Anistuffs

Postby Anistuffs » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:03 pm

I'm just so in love with that hot pink hull :D

P.S. In case anyone's curious about the name Dr. Kaputar, here's what you get when you do a google image search of 'kaputar slug': https://www.google.com/search?q=kaputar+slug&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=y3Q2VfWjGoOQuASX3oCoAQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1287&bih=719
Anistuffs - The Indian Let's Player.
Here's my Youtube channel with over 1500 LP videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Anistuffs
Why not pop over and say hi :)
TheFallenAngel359

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:35 pm

Well, I found the mod I'll be showcasing tonight. This ship looks like it could be challenging... but it sure is interesting.I can't wait to play! :D
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:36 am

Be sure to let me know if you create a video.
Would love to see other people other then me and Anistuffs having a go and I'll put the link up there with our video showcases.
Channel link
TheFallenAngel359

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:30 pm

I ended up not streaming... My OBS settings were messed up. Anyways, I'll try to stream sometime this week. And the video would probably be a good idea as well.