Some questons regarding the game mechanics

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Kasad

Some questons regarding the game mechanics

Postby Kasad » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:22 am

Hello everyone,new forumer here nice to meet you all :)

I'd like to ask some questions regarding the mechanics of the game which I did not find answers in the wiki page or anywhere else.
First,I've noticed that multiple scrap recovery arms do stack,however this doesn't seem to be the case if you add a teleporter.When using the teleporter and successfully boarding a full hull ship,the income seems to get bonus from only 1 scrap recovery arm .It doesn't seems to get the extra amount of scrap from the other 2 scrap recovery arms.For instance I board a 7th sector ship and with teleporter + 3 scrap arms I'd expect a major income boost,more than 100 scraps.Instead I get around 80+ which is the same if I had 1 teleporter and 1 scrap recovery arm.What's going on in this case?

Secondly,I'd like to ask,are FTL augmentations even worth it?Basically all of FTL Augmentations..

Also,what does Reverse Ion Field do?Does it stop laser from dealing hull damage?Does it allow the ship to evade lasers 50% of the time?I really can't understand how it works.

Finally I'd like to ask,how do the automated reloaders work?Do they remove 10% of the total time each or do they just speed up the loading by 10%?Is the formula like this (1- 0.10*numOfReloaders) or like this? (1/(1+numOfReloaders*0.1)
Same question with shield recharge booster.

Thanks a lot for your time.

P.S. Did you know that revisiting stores restocks fuels,missiles and drones?Does it restock anything else?
stylesrj

Re: Some questons regarding the game mechanics

Postby stylesrj » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:43 am

Kasad wrote:Hello everyone,new forumer here nice to meet you all :)

Hello, nice to meet you and welcome to the forum... now then, let's tackle the questions.

Scrap Recovery Arms

Loot is highly randomised. Let's say you get 60 Scrap from destroying a ship via boarding in the late-game. Three Arms would net you a 30% bonus... so 60 + 18 = 78. It's still worth it though as it pays for itself in a few jumps.

Secondly,I'd like to ask,are FTL augmentations even worth it?Basically all of FTL Augmentations..

Navigation, Distraction Buoys and FTL recharge booster? Sell them. Worthless.

Also,what does Reverse Ion Field do?Does it stop laser from dealing hull damage?Does it allow the ship to evade lasers 50% of the time?I really can't understand how it works.

It tells you quite clearly that it has a 50% chance to prevent ion damage. The clue is in the name and the fact the description tells you as much. That means if you have two of them, ion guns and bombs do nothing to your ship.

Finally I'd like to ask,how do the automated reloaders work?Do they remove 10% of the total time each or do they just speed up the loading by 10%?Is the formula like this (1- 0.10*numOfReloaders) or like this? (1/(1+numOfReloaders*0.1)
Same question with shield recharge booster.

I think the effects stack rather than being cumulative (30% rather than 10% + 10% + 10%) although the wiki might tell better information. Or someone who's studied it.

P.S. Did you know that revisiting stores restocks fuels,missiles and drones?Does it restock anything else?

Stores do not restock. I've done this many times during runs where the Rebel Fleet is delayed by a million jumps. I revisit stores a lot for hull repairs. They don't replenish their supplies of anything.
Kasad

Postby Kasad » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:15 am

Are you positively sure stocks do not restock fuel,missiles and drones?I've been doing it in easy mode some times ,but you have to deplete them first.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:22 am

Kasad wrote:Are you positively sure stocks do not restock fuel,missiles and drones?I've been doing it in easy mode some times ,but you have to deplete them first.

Pretty sure. I've done this many times (especially in Captain's Edition. Run out of fuel, wait for ship to turn up, loot it, steal cargo, sell it at the store). There isn't anything in the game mechanics that would allow restocking.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:53 am

I rarely go back to any store, but those few times I have they've never restocked fuel. I almost never buy drones or missiles so can't speak on those.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:26 am

athorist wrote:Distraction buoys give you up to 7 extra beacons (as it works on the last sector).

I think the Last Stand runs on its own timer and is unaffected by events involving fleet delays/acceleration.

And advanced ftl navigation is useful in the last sector, because you can visit the home base and then immediately return to it, giving you more time to explore while the flagship's there.

Just for those one or two beacons in a line from the base with the risk of the next jump being overrun. Or returning to the Store you found.

It's also semi-useful in sectors that 'fork', but not much else. I wouldn't recommend buying them or keeping them over more immediately useful augs, but I don't think they're not useless.

Even if they have one or two legitimate uses and you'll wish you had it at the time, as soon as I acquire those useless augments (I'll even throw the shield recharge booster in here... scandalous I know! Send me to the Tomb-Colonies!) I sell them because it's more useful to have 20 extra Scrap and an empty slot in case something useful comes along. You don't want to have to throw it away now.
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:53 am

stylesrj wrote:
athorist wrote:Distraction buoys give you up to 7 extra beacons (as it works on the last sector).

I think the Last Stand runs on its own timer and is unaffected by events involving fleet delays/acceleration.

And advanced ftl navigation is useful in the last sector, because you can visit the home base and then immediately return to it, giving you more time to explore while the flagship's there.

Just for those one or two beacons in a line from the base with the risk of the next jump being overrun. Or returning to the Store you found.

It's also semi-useful in sectors that 'fork', but not much else. I wouldn't recommend buying them or keeping them over more immediately useful augs, but I don't think they're not useless.

Even if they have one or two legitimate uses and you'll wish you had it at the time, as soon as I acquire those useless augments (I'll even throw the shield recharge booster in here... scandalous I know! Send me to the Tomb-Colonies!) I sell them because it's more useful to have 20 extra Scrap and an empty slot in case something useful comes along. You don't want to have to throw it away now.

I'd add my own ten cents to this, but it seems everything is done here.

The 'rebel fleet' for the final sector may as well not be on a timer, because the beacons don't pull from the rebel fleet list there. There is a defined list of events and triggers.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:11 am

athorist wrote:When I was in the last stand, I got the "you deploy your distraction beacons" message, which suggests that it still works.

Which it doesn't, because the Rebel Fleet doesn't actually move. It randomly takes over a beacon and the buoys won't help in that.