Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

General discussion about the game.
stylesrj

Re: Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

Postby stylesrj » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:25 am

Earth Scum wrote:Get to sector 8 - repair beacons are way on the other side of the map.

Get to sector 8 - Federation Base is 5 linear jumps away. Beacon #3 is overrun with a Rebel Cruiser armed with a Kitchen Sink Module (everything! Mind Control, Hacking, Battery, Teleport, Clone Bay, 4 shield layers, 50% evasion, Missile Drones, Missile launchers)

Sure Captain's Edition makes FTL harder but you might as well have the game say "Fuck you meatsack for thinking you can win this game!"
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:36 am

WTF Haxx! Engines got hacked down to L1. And the pirate has a Vulcan (and a Medbay). Fuck you, FTL. :(

BTW, I have all that scrap because it's only a few jumps into the sector, and I was looking for a store, starting this battle with <50% HP and also wanting a weapon.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:21 am

The Captain wrote:WTF Haxx! Engines got hacked down to L1. And the pirate has a Vulcan (and a Medbay). Fuck you, FTL. :(

Happened to me once. Sector 7, looking for a store so I can finally buy myself a bloody cloaking device and I end up with my engines hacked and a Hull Missile with "Osprey" written on the side.

I escaped that battle, but the repair costs meant I couldn't get the cloak or any decent guns and my ship was destroyed in Phase 1.
spacecadet13

Postby spacecadet13 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:46 pm

This totally cheesed me;

Playing the Red Tail, got through the best sector one ever; got a Halberd "just floating in space" and got a D Drone I from a surrender, bought an Auto Loader from a store and had nearly enough scrap to get shields upgraded. Pretty sweet, right?

Second jump of sector 2, a nebula, an Ion storm. Meh, no biggie. Power down what I don't need, like the O2, get an extra laser up. The auto ship has an artemis (of course) that does not miss. Weapons room - boom! Fix that. Shields - boom! Fix that. Rooms just have that tiny shade of pink showing - meh, no biggie. Guess which room the next missile hits? And breaches? Yep, the O2 room. Major crew juggling, manage to destroy the auto ship, get the O2 repaired, crew healed up, jump away. Small detail - the rooms are still pretty pinkish.

Next jump, Auto Hacker. And I knew, I KNEW, as soon as I saw it; that hacking drone is going straight for my O2 room. And yep - hits that O2 room and in a few seconds there is no O2 anywhere on my ship. And just as I think this can't get any worse! a missile from the auto hacker hits where?- the freaking O2! Which I can't get in and fix, 'cause the hacking module has the doors "locked". One crew member expires, the others huddle in the medbay, clinging to life...until, a missile thuds into that room as well.

So, deeply, sincerely, from the bottom of my heart..." Fuck you, FTL!!"
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:12 am

spacecadet13 wrote:So, deeply, sincerely, from the bottom of my heart..." Fuck you, FTL!!"

That's why you should wait for the oxygen to cycle back into the ship before leaving the ion storm. You don't need fully-powered engines after all until you're out of the storm.
Earth Scum

Postby Earth Scum » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:37 am

I managed to get a Glaive Beam, a Chain Vulcan, AND an Automated Reloader...but I immediately ran into the absolute worst possible enemy (all missiles) and never got the chance to unleash the beast. I quit playing for a while after that. :/
dark33hawk

Postby dark33hawk » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:52 pm

I was playing the slug B (for the slug C ship, I never liked slugs) and my boarding party was down to like ten health, while the heal bomb fired a Leto missile OUTSPED the teleporting bomb and killed my boarding party...and I was forced to deal with a anti ship 1, a sun and that dammed Leto :evil:
I've grown Scales since I left. But now I'm soaring again. Off to save the Federation and have fun!
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:43 am

dark33hawk wrote:I was playing the slug B (for the slug C ship, I never liked slugs) and my boarding party was down to like ten health, while the heal bomb fired a Leto missile OUTSPED the teleporting bomb and killed my boarding party...and I was forced to deal with a anti ship 1, a sun and that dammed Leto :evil:

Sounds like it was your fault there for not accounting for the speed of that... what was it? A missile launcher? :lol:

Or was it that you had your crew onboard, you threw the bomb down and a missile landed right before it detonated, thus taking out the bomb and killing your crew? Because bombs tend to be fragile.

-----------------

Did I mention this one time I was flying the Shrike (Lanius B) and I fought a Rebel supply ship helping out a colony?
Standard procedure, Mind Control, Board, let one of the Lanius die so he could heal up (he was low on health when he got there).

So he was about a second away from being revived in the Clone Bay (I even made it level 2 to avoid Leto missile BS) when the last enemy crew died and the game paused and displayed the event so I could steal the supplies. Being as cruel as I was (plus I assumed it was just hull damage I would take if things went wrong), I took them and to no surprise, it was booby-trapped!

BAM! Ship got damaged but the worst part was the Clone Bay was destroyed! :cry:
A Lanius cruiser with only 1 Lanius and an Engi in Sector 1 isn't a viable ship, so I did like no one else would have done and started a new run. Still, why the hell did you guys put the booby-trapped supplies in the Clone Bay?
slattikarma

Postby slattikarma » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:30 pm

stylesrj wrote:
Did I mention this one time I was flying the Shrike (Lanius B) and I fought a Rebel supply ship helping out a colony?
Standard procedure, Mind Control, Board, let one of the Lanius die so he could heal up (he was low on health when he got there).

So he was about a second away from being revived in the Clone Bay (I even made it level 2 to avoid Leto missile BS) when the last enemy crew died and the game paused and displayed the event so I could steal the supplies. Being as cruel as I was (plus I assumed it was just hull damage I would take if things went wrong), I took them and to no surprise, it was booby-trapped!

BAM! Ship got damaged but the worst part was the Clone Bay was destroyed! :cry:
A Lanius cruiser with only 1 Lanius and an Engi in Sector 1 isn't a viable ship, so I did like no one else would have done and started a new run. Still, why the hell did you guys put the booby-trapped supplies in the Clone Bay?

Noo wayyy. That is awesome. And horrible. Pretty much why I love FTL. Just when you think you've experienced all the ways the game can screw you....
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:22 am

Playing the Crystal A, relatively early in the game, maybe a couple sectors in. I got boarded by four Rocks, who go into Shields which were manned by a Zoltan, the only new crew I had picked up so far. I ran him out of the room while my Engineer Human came over, then back in with the Security Crystal, too. I didn't wait for the Weapons Crystal, because he took awhile to get there, and I didn't want to lose a Shield layer, having only two, and battling a ship.

So of course this is a losing CQB, starting out 3-on-4, and two being squishy meatsacks. Eventually, Weapons Crystal gets to the room to join the fight, just in time for the Shield room to take a hit. Zoltan runs to the Medbay, Engineer Human to the helm, and Pilot Human comes in to take his place.

Aided by their laser hit, I've done enough damage to the Rocks and their ship, so they teleport off. But my Medbay takes a hit, getting set on fire, and killing my Zoltan. My wounded Crystals aren't healed enough to fight the now multiple fires, so go up to fix Weapons while I vent. Then Doors get taken out, so the Medbay is stuck open to space. Both Crystals are now fixing Doors, when a missile hit takes them out. Fuck you, FTL.

I decide I have to run away. Get lucky, and have an empty beacon to finish repairs. But I am down on crew and hull. I survive a few more jumps, even picking up a Rock. But eventually, I run into a ship with a Shield and Defense drone, which negates my Heavy Crystal, and the four laser shots I have left aren't enough to reliably do more than an occasional one damage. And I end up getting blown up.