Question: What should be the next weapon pack I should make?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
R4V3-0N

Question: What should be the next weapon pack I should make?

Postby R4V3-0N » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:00 am

Hello guys!

As you know I am making an FTL overhaul mod known as FTL: Engi Brigade and I am also working with another forumer to make his overhaul come true.

I am taking my time and it's already been a year since announcement however I am making progress.

I have learned that the best way to get progress, set up a good fondation for later. and have testers and stuff is to release Weapons first. And I kinda want to put them in the form of packages. (ie what I did with GO BALLISTIC)
It also benefits the community as well as there is a lack of AE weapon mods.

With that line of logic of making weapon packs.

What should my next pack be?

-Ion (including new ions and an alternate type of ion. I cant decide what to call the weapon so the testers may come up with a name! credit will be given)

-Beams (mainly beams of different lengths and such. nothing to fancy will happen. maybe a few unique looking beams but CE has flushed out nearly all the possibilities but I can think of a few beam ideas that will be fun....)

-Lasers (generic energy weapon. will have a few weapons and such to stand out and some plasma and chemical based weapons)

-Missile (simular situation with beams, a lot of missiles happened. I will do a few but it'll be minor differences)

-Mines (due to introduced exclusively CE so far, there is a lot of room for me to make my own mines as well!)

there are other stuff coming up but I do not want to really spoil it (or know what to call it) so just stay tuned.

I kinda made this thread as posting this on my FTL: EB thread often yelds no results while also these "packs" idea I made is more then simply an EB thing.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
NarnKar

Re: Question: What should be the next weapon pack I should m

Postby NarnKar » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:40 pm

Lasers!
erumsey

Postby erumsey » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:06 am

Fire.
Burn things with fire.
All the things will die by fire.
Fire weapons.
Cause fire.
*ps the ship is on fire achievement is SO SATISFYING*
Why is it satisfying?
Because you are burning every room of the flagship with fire.
Cause fire.
Fire.
Burn all the ships.
Fire.
el Rago

Postby el Rago » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:43 pm

how about BIG guns?

I now that could make a ship OP, but gotta love the big weapons.

How a bout including in any pack you make a specialty weapon based on the pack? think of it as a specialty/ultimate weapon of the class you are making.

If you go Ballistic, a naval type rail gun or something similar, if you go with ion, also an orbital class ion gun. Same with the other weapon classes. By keeping the availability low (or relatively low) you can prevent going OP unless you use an editor.

as for weapon classes, I am partial to railguns and swarm missiles.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:32 am

el Rago wrote:how about BIG guns?

I now that could make a ship OP, but gotta love the big weapons.

How a bout including in any pack you make a specialty weapon based on the pack? think of it as a specialty/ultimate weapon of the class you are making.

If you go Ballistic, a naval type rail gun or something similar, if you go with ion, also an orbital class ion gun. Same with the other weapon classes. By keeping the availability low (or relatively low) you can prevent going OP unless you use an editor.

as for weapon classes, I am partial to railguns and swarm missiles.

I am actually going to make larger and better guns, lasers, missiles, etc.
(the best idea I have for ballancing is a combination of...

1) price
2) rarity/ event specific
3) Reload time
4) ship specific (you can only get it if you have dis augmnet)

For ballistics I am thinking of a Naval Rail Gun and an Anti Orbital Gauss Rifle. As well as a weapon similar to both however it is not run by slings, rails, or magnets. it is instead firing a high velocity weapon via a gravity generator (Gravity Generators are a thing in FTL, notice how people are walking on ships, not floating and bouncing)

For Beams I have a few ideas such as some rare ion beams however I think this image should give you an idea of some things

Also making the vindicator beam a player controlled weapon is an idea I was thinking with quite a lot. (with draw backs)

For Ions well... Not much ideas with them however I was planning to make a series of weapons based on the Sturmtiger from WWII (which had a massive howitzer) which basicly I make a "Sturm [insert weapon here]" which does high damage but low velocity.

This includes lasers, ballistics, mines, missiles, and ions.

For the PPC I am thinking of making a naval PPC model as well...

I am debating if I should have these "large" big guns and ultra rare weapons with the packs corresponding to there type, or just group them up in a large gun / naval gun group.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Leylite

Postby Leylite » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:13 am

R4V3-0N wrote:(Gravity Generators are a thing in FTL, notice how people are walking on ships, not floating and bouncing)

Ah, now see, I always thought everyone was wearing magnetic boots. FTL has plenty of room for different interpretations. :)

Anyway, as for a weapon idea, how about a Super-Heavy laser that does 3 damage, but is blocked by shields like conventional lasers, and travels at a snail's pace across the screen (so it's super-easy for a Defense II to shoot down, and tricky to volley with other weapons).

Power, charge time and cost are probably going to be a bit tricky to pick out properly, but I think 2 power, 17 seconds, and 65 scrap should be fine?

For something that does this much damage (and is basically a Hermes missile that doesn't cost missiles but is blocked by shields, fulfilling a similar function to the Heavy Laser or Heavy Laser II), it's probably appropriate to give it a decent fire chance but no breach chance at all.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:25 am

R4V3-0N wrote:For Beams I have a few ideas such as some rare ion beams however I think this image should give you an idea of some things

Wow, that one looks super pretty!
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:01 am

Leylite wrote:
R4V3-0N wrote:(Gravity Generators are a thing in FTL, notice how people are walking on ships, not floating and bouncing)

Ah, now see, I always thought everyone was wearing magnetic boots. FTL has plenty of room for different interpretations. :)

Anyway, as for a weapon idea, how about a Super-Heavy laser that does 3 damage, but is blocked by shields like conventional lasers, and travels at a snail's pace across the screen (so it's super-easy for a Defense II to shoot down, and tricky to volley with other weapons).

Power, charge time and cost are probably going to be a bit tricky to pick out properly, but I think 2 power, 17 seconds, and 65 scrap should be fine?

For something that does this much damage (and is basically a Hermes missile that doesn't cost missiles but is blocked by shields, fulfilling a similar function to the Heavy Laser or Heavy Laser II), it's probably appropriate to give it a decent fire chance but no breach chance at all.

yea, FTL: CE has a weapon that fits that description of 3 damage slow velocity quite fine. (kinda).

I am trying to not make to many weapons that is to simular to CE (For 2 reasons, however 1 of them is that CE weapons may be integrated to my mod because we everyone loves CE and I can't make my eventual overhaul a CE compatible)

I was picturing something like 4 damage with the same specs as you mentioned and such, long reload time would be a thing.

But it's good to have ideas around, leaves lots of room to improve, discuss, balance, and create new ideas.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:03 am

NarnKar wrote:
R4V3-0N wrote:For Beams I have a few ideas such as some rare ion beams however I think this image should give you an idea of some things

Wow, that one looks super pretty!

May I introduce you to the Sabre, it'll be themost prettiest death you'll ever see and twill be the last thing you'll see.

(juggling between ideas, but it may or may not have 1-2 damage with a medium length beam that pierces 1-2 shields amongst other things)
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
el Rago

Postby el Rago » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:02 pm

a weapon that not only is rare, but expensive and needs specific augs to be used...works for me.

in a similar vein of fire based weapons, how about gas based. Not so sure how it would work though. only way of clearing it would be by venting.

delivery could be my bomb or supermissile (pass alls shields).