[SHIP] The Verdant Dawn

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
NarnKar

[SHIP] The Verdant Dawn

Postby NarnKar » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:54 pm

...and the people watched, rapturous, as their final warship fired its massive cannon. A flash of green filled their vision, and then the enemy ship was no more. All of its communications ceased, its heat signature rapidly dissipating, its radios silent.

The people watching fell silent too--witnesses to an unfathomable horror.

After a time, the warship's commander spoke. "Now you see our might. Enemy of ours, cease your incursion--or you may bear witness to it again."

The Verdant Dawn

A few days ago, I found a cool picture of a big gun, and I thought to myself: "wow, that looks cool". And then I made it into an FTL mod. It was created for personal use, but then I decided to upload and share it because...why not, really.

It's pretty overpowered, to be honest--the aim was to be around Crystal A in terms of starting power. You'll still need to invest scrap into your systems to win, though; flying this ship does not make an automatic victory. (I tested this--no, you can't beat an Elite Assault with its starting loadout. Before I nerfed it though, you actually could--and that's the mark of an overpowered ship.)

Its main weapon, the Starsmasher Cannon, is a four-power weapon that bypasses enemy defense drones and shields, dealing 2 damage every 12 seconds. I mean, come on; with a gun this huge, it seems kind of lame for anything to stand in its way.

The Starsmasher Cannon

Download v1.0 here.
Replaces the Kestrel A. May require newer versions of Slipstream to run properly, as it uses the rawappend format.

Videos:
stylesrj Youtube run

Attributions:
-Gun image stolen from Maplestory...again. What can I say, that game has surprisingly cool gun graphics despite touting itself as a medieval fantasy MMO. Anyway it's a modified version of Xenon's "Mecha Purge: Snipe" skill.
-Inspiration for the ship's shape taken from some guy I don't remember oops. I told you this was a personal use ship mod and I wasn't joking.
-Mod assembled in Superluminal 2.1.0d.
Last edited by NarnKar on Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
stylesrj

Re: [SHIP] The Verdant Dawn

Postby stylesrj » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:17 am

That's an awesome-looking gun for an awesome-looking ship. :shock:

I should try it out and make a video of the run.
el Rago

Postby el Rago » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:12 am

the gun is awesome

I was thinking, maybe put the gun on the crystal fighter you made a short while ago? big stick, small ship.

maybe even put the engines at max from the start. would make an interesting concept.

your work is excellent as always
Superblox

Postby Superblox » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:48 pm

Hey, I've recently started to make personal ships for my FTL, but I've been wondering, how do you make custom weapons that do what you want it to? I'm new to modding...
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:45 pm

@Superblox

I personally used this guide by Metzelmax to learn my way around the animation strip. The code itself isn't terribly hard, just (very very) finnicky.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:44 am

NarnKar wrote:@Superblox

I personally used this guide by Metzelmax to learn my way around the animation strip. The code itself isn't terribly hard, just (very very) finnicky.

it's the finnickyness that makes it hard!
(I know what to do but I get the very odd occasion where it doesn't want to behave and my weapon isn't working well :( that or I can't make animations for projectile explosion work or sometimes the weapon shot)
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Superblox

Postby Superblox » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:55 am

...Well.... Just took a look at it.... Looks like I won't be making weapons anytime soon... I know absolutely nothing about coding
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:38 am

Hey Superblox, it's not that bad! I know next to nothing about coding either, but the weapon coding isn't hard to understand.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:29 am

Ok, I've tested the ship out and I have to say, the gun is awesome.

Here's my run through. I keep saying the gun isn't OP but it might be a little bit considering it uses no missiles and goes through all shields like a highly destructive bomb. Then again, I was playing on Easy.
http://youtu.be/aoSAy-2_-60
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:01 am

@stylesrj added your video to the original post.