[SHIP] The Hooker

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
TaxiService

[SHIP] The Hooker

Postby TaxiService » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:09 pm

Hello. I've been working on this thing for a while, and I better release it now instead of starting to make a B layout and postpone this thing for six months like i usually do.

I present you...

Click here for a short video showing cloaking, weapons and gibs.

Download it here. (replaces Kestrel type C)

Thanks to everyone that helped me get inspired in the Mod dev thread. Especially NarnKar for coming up with the idea of rerouting engine energy to the artillery! : )

Known issues:
- The artillery weapon disappears when the ship explodes. I don't mind though.
- The artillery weapon annihilates shields on contact. I want to believe that you, the player, have a shadow of morality and fairness in you, and will use this overpowered weapon only if strictly necessary. ;P (i am aware this is a poor excuse for not thinking about balancing)

I hope you like it. Feel free to use my content as you see fit, as long as you give credit when due. ◡‿◡

Last edited by TaxiService on Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gencool

Re: [SHIP] The Hooker

Postby Gencool » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:32 pm

Perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrdy.

Gonna have to give this a go at some point.
LOVE the extra details in the gibs.

Also, if it's an artillery, it can't be changed, right? So you could just put it straight into the gibs manually.
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:23 am

I know, but I didn't really want to do that because if the ship gets destroyed while the artillery is unpowered, the cannon in the gib would always be sticking out. >_> "I'd rather have it disappear", i thought. :P
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:25 am

What if the weapon breaks off the ship as a seperate gib? Or snaps in half even...
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:13 am

A sexy hull as always, TaxiService.

Question: that ion beam of yours...it seems like it'd take down four layers of shielding whenever it hit; combined with a 20 second firing rate, and an enemy ship is basically defenseless. Is this level of power intentional?
Noobjuice

Postby Noobjuice » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:24 am

This ship looks brilliant! I like the way the winch disengages when the ship explodes, that's a nice touch. :)
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:12 am

how do you make good looking mini ship images :shock:
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:34 am

>Question: that ion beam of yours...it seems like it'd take down four layers of shielding whenever it hit; combined with a 20 second firing rate, and an enemy ship is basically defenseless. Is this level of power intentional?

i-it really depends by the meaning of intentional. :P

Code: Select all

<desc>Powers a slow, high-powered beam that destroys all shields and disables systems. More power means faster cooldown.</desc> <!-- >implying shield destruction was meant to be a feature -->

I didn't want it to work like this, but there was no other chance. : \ I liked the idea of an ion beam, but it killed shields whenever it hit anything... Changing charging times was a no-no because of compatibility with other artillery-using ships. (I would've caused a mess in the hud) After a while I kind of just went along with it, to be honest. :S

So I guess that if "intentional" means "what you wanted", then no.
But i released the mod with an OP beam intentionally. I just didn't... really mind. : | I wanted to release this thing asap because if i didn't i would've gone insane, probably.

The player can still choose not to use it, though! XD If you deactivate it, it tucks into your ship too!

>how do you make good looking mini ship images
I resize the finished hull image to fit within 191x121 pixels, then I trace its lines on a new layer with black pixels.
Afterwards i recolour it... but i've been trying to find tricks to avoid doing it from scratch. :| I'll show you later today if i have enough time to record myself doing it. If not, i'll try to do it asap.
ImageImageImageImageImage
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:03 am

I do a similar thing but I suck at it. :oops:

Edit: however another amazing ship you got there. can't wait to see what you do next =)
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:02 am

Changing charging times was a no-no because of compatibility with other artillery-using ships. (I would've caused a mess in the hud) After a while I kind of just went along with it, to be honest. :S

Captain's Edition got around it by saying "1x base cooldown", etc so it wouldn't mess with artillery systems in the HUD (as long as you gave the base cooldown numbers in the description for that particular gun.)