[Ship Randomizer] The Randtrel v1.3.0

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
rannl

Re: [Ship Randomizer] The Randtrel v0.14.0

Postby rannl » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:08 pm

Been a little busy the last few days, so this release has been a little delayed.
Added the Randuos, the randomized lanius ships with A and B builds. I've added my take on a possible C build - starting without the life support system, with a non O2 requiring crew. The LS system can be bought later on for 60 scrap.

Following some comments I've added some more airlocks to some of the Zoltan builds which had clumps of rooms without a nearby airlock.
Also, following Biohazard063's comment on the somewhat phallic shape of the federation cruiser combined with the pinkish hull color, I've replaced the pink hull images with something less thought provoking.
Had a few laughs, though :lol:

An importent note for CE - there is currently no support for the Artillery system, so it cannot be bought in the shop (or rather, buying it crashs the game).

A big thank you to all the FTLers out there using this mod, last release was downloaded more then 200 times ;)

Moving on to the crystal ship, can't believe its the last one!

PS. thanks RR for helping out with questions here, your a Rockman and a Gentleman!
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:05 am

Ahhh... I kind of liked the pink Federation ship. :lol: I thought of it as a 60s version.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:05 am

Right, time to give my honest opinion on this one.

So I've been using it for quite awhile now, ever since it was recommended to me by...?
Anyway, I'm enjoying it, it greatly breaks away from the vanilla layouts getting rid of the boredom that they eventually suffer from. Yes, event those CE gives them, even though they often get tweaked as well.
Really like the fact that each ship still sort of sticks to a type of "fixed layout" eg. drones + suppressive weapons, cloak and quick firing weapons, missiles only stuff like that.
The color change might be subtle but still helps you realize you're flying a different ship, more points for that.
The augments : Don't know if they change to much, I tend to "re-roll" the layouts quite often though I have seen changes to them (most notably on the stealth cruiser). Don't know how big the pools are on those, don't know how big they can become without them either being able of being to OP (like the engi-cruiser starting of with a drone recovery arm or something), or having to re-roll over and over until you start with something useful.
It's great that ships with "specific augments" keep them, which is pretty important with the CE edition. Engi-cruiser lost its nanobots though, but they are available as a reward in game anyway.
Combining this mod with the Random flagship has been a great boon to the series, and really flared up a new reason to keep playing.

Things I'd like seeing changed: Well, this is all on the assumption that what I say here is actually possible. And to even be able to give some actual feedback other then just saying that everything is awesome.
Ship names : You seemed to be pretty able of naming your ship here incorporating the "Rand-" part in. Would be cool if you can get the name being drawn from a pool as well. As example, for the kestrell, keep the "-trell" part fixed. And draw from a pool for something to go in front. Making names like I don't know, Hypertrell, Quadtrell, Diotrell... (I'm not good with names). Or simply switch the names to the "Rand-" name you've given them here.
Default folder : It seems to be unable to remember where I want the .FTL file to go. Not that big of a deal really, but would like it if it remembered that I wanted it in the mods folder of Slipstream. Same goes for the Randomized flagship I believe.

As for the pinkish color on the Fed cruiser... You should totally keep that in if it isn't to late. It's a great (maybe unintentional) joke. :lol:
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:32 am

Good points Bio. It would be nice of this and the Flagship generator could save the location you want the file to go to. Also, I've been suggesting the ship names since like 3 updates ago. ;) I love rannl's naming. Who new Rand... could be stuck onto the beginning of pretty much any ship.
rannl

Re: [Ship Randomizer] The Randtrel v0.14.1

Postby rannl » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:58 pm

Point taken on the .ftl save path. And also about the ship names, took me a little time to get to it RR ;)

Both issues solved in v0.14.1.

Thanks for the detailed review Biohazard.
I like the fact that the weapon combos might be slightly weaker or stronger, and tried to make sure that even the weaker combos still give a fighting chance for the first two sectors at least.

The augment pools are not that big currently. The randtral has a slightly more varied asset pool, it being the 1st ship supported by the tool (used to showcase the tool asset pools).
I'll definetly add more augments to the random pools, so that each ship has a chance of starting with some augment other then it's racial aug. The current pools for some ships give an augment instead of a crew member.

Adding a name prefix pool for all the ships is an interesting idea, I might just do it. Currently the ships will be named with the 'rand' prefix, which as RR noted, has a nice ring to it.

The pink fed ship seemed a little over the top to me..... If you want some more 'outlandish' color schemes, I'll cook something up.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:15 pm

I'm currently fine with having Rand--- names for the vanilla ships. Expanding that across all A, B, and C types gives a lot of unique names to remember our random ships by. But if you want to come up with even more names go ahead. That will just make each unique ship even more unique.
Maccasey66

Postby Maccasey66 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:39 pm

hi russian rock man to day i finally got around to using the rand--- (who doesn’t love school) but when i open the .sh i just get this:
#!/bin/sh

# Get the absolute path to this script's folder.
if echo "$0" | awk '{exit(!/^\//);}'; then
maindir=$(dirname "$0");
else
maindir=$PWD/$(dirname "$0");
fi

cd "${maindir}"
java -jar RandtrelGenerator.jar -src_file assetList.xml "$@“

(I’m on mac BTW)
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:41 pm

Maccasey66 wrote:hi russian rock man to day i finally got around to using the rand--- (who doesn’t love school) but when i open the .sh i just get this:

Now that rannl's back he could probably give you a better answer.
rannl

Postby rannl » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:14 am

Maccasey66 wrote:hi russian rock man to day i finally got around to using the rand--- (who doesn’t love school) but when i open the .sh i just get this:

Change the .sh permissions, to an executable file. Instead of running the script in the file, your system opens the file via some text editer.
This link should help.
Maccasey66

Postby Maccasey66 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:10 pm

thanks but all that i was able to do from that was make it open in terminal, i think that i need to be able to read write AND execute but all that it lets me do is select either just read or read and write :(