Shiny! UI Overhaul and Graphics Mod v1.0

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
slowriderxcorps

Re: Shiny! Complete UI Overhaul v0.91 (Now with Screenshots

Postby slowriderxcorps » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:53 pm

Oh man, that neon green screenshot looks strangely delicious. Doesn't look too bad in red either.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:32 am

slowriderxcorps wrote:Oh man, that neon green screenshot looks strangely delicious. Doesn't look too bad in red either.

Yeah, I was hoping that could be for Zoltans or that Mantis and pirates could use red/purple. ;)

If you want to ever try out some new colors you could try messing with the hue and stuff with the hangar image. It might not actually be too hard to make different UI colors, but I just haven't found anything that looks quite right besides the blue.
Bolanis

Postby Bolanis » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:37 pm

Hey, this mod looks really neat!

I may be totally missing something, but is there an .ftl file in the folder?
If not, what is the best way of installing/running this pack?

Thanks
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:45 pm

Bolanis wrote:Hey, this mod looks really neat!

Thanks

No just rename the 16 meg *.zip file you download to *.ftl and load it via modman like any other ftl file.

@Russian Rockman, you should either put that in the first post (or made it bold and right near the download text if it's already there, I didn't see it) or rename the download to be a *.ftl file.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Bolanis

Postby Bolanis » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:08 am

5thHorseman wrote:
Bolanis wrote:Hey, this mod looks really neat!

Thanks

No just rename the 16 meg *.zip file you download to *.ftl and load it via modman like any other ftl file.

@Russian Rockman, you should either put that in the first post (or made it bold and right near the download text if it's already there, I didn't see it) or rename the download to be a *.ftl file.

Thank you very much!
zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:07 pm

> data/dlcBlueprintsOverwrite.xml.append

~ Strict XML Parser Issues:
! <!-- No other dashes should touch. -->

> Shiny! Font.png
~ Extraneous top-level file.

> JustinFont12Bold.png

> JustinFont12Bold.ttf

> Shiny! Font Main.png

> Shiny! Font Off Gray.png

> Shiny! Font Off.png

> Shiny! Font On.png

> Shiny! Font Select.png

A validate search led me to this
FortunaDraken

Postby FortunaDraken » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:41 am

Ngl, if that orange was tinted slightly more towards the orange and away from the green (though that might just be the floor making it seem green), I'd download it so fast. Need purple too.

I like the look of this, I might download and use it. Only thing that bothers me is that the system icons are a little harder to tell what they are, I think they're a little too light against the green background. But definitely shiny.
splette

Postby splette » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:49 am

Hey RR,
so happy to see an AE-compatible version of the UI modding that phlakes started. Also thanks for including my shields (btw, seeing that Mantis with my name in one of the screenshots made me smile)

Anyway, I've been using the mod for almost a week now and here's some feedback for you to consider or ignore:

-transparent text boxes: sure look fancy but I do find the transparency distracting for reading. Even after a while I didn't get used to it. Please please reconsider...
-enemy background hexagons: I didn't even notice the enemy window is expanded now but I do miss the hexagons in the background a lot. Perhaps I can help. I could send you an separate png or illustrator file of the hexagons I used for the shields. Those have the same size. Edit: Here is an Illustrator file with hexagons. Can you work with that? Maybe something similar to this?
-I like the new doors, except the highest level blast door (the thicker one). Unlike the other doors, this one looks a little bit blurry for some reason. Also, I think it's too similar to the blast door that's one level weaker. I know it's thicker, but it would be nice if the difference was bigger (maybe make it a bit darker or something?)
-I noticed a few minor graphical glitches: Every fourth green block of the enemy hull indicator has a cut-off corner. This was not intended, right? Sometimes when evade is 0, the evade graphic seems to be a few pixels off. I think it only happens when the helm is hacked. Do you know what I am talking about?

I think that's it.

Now for things I love:
-the new loading screen with the small Kestrel is amazing!
-I like the new fonts, even though the one for weapons etc. is a bit smaller. But it fits well
-The original phlakes' color of the UI is great. I wouldn't consider changing it...

Great mod. Thanks a lot for taking all the time to make it (I did my own UI long time ago and only then I realized just how many graphics files you need to edit... urgh).

I hope the Ship Greeble Graphics Mod will be finished at some point. It would make a great addition.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:49 pm

WOW! I'm so glad people are actually using this!!! Thank you so much! :mrgreen:

I'm sorry I haven't been able to keep up with the updates. I do plan to update this in the future, but the process may be slow due to personal obligations and troubles. Again, thank you so much for your support though!

:arrow: If anyone wants to make a change to any of the assets in this then please feel free to post your change as a .ftl file and I will most likely include it in the OP for others to use or maybe even include it in a later update. ;)

zabing12 wrote:A validate search led me to this

Those are all just files I was using when I was working on the new font. I left them in in case somebody wanted to use them for something. They shouldn't affect anything game wise. ;)

FortunaDraken wrote:I like the look of this, I might download and use it. Only thing that bothers me is that the system icons are a little harder to tell what they are, I think they're a little too light against the green background. But definitely shiny.

I was thinking about changing the contrast on all the system icons too. ;) In the meantime if you want to just use the vanilla ones go ahead and change the .ftl file to a .zip file, go in and delete the "icons" folder and rename it to .ftl again. Hope that works for you until I can get on those icons. :) I was never %100 satisfied with those and Phlakes never finished a lot of those ones for Remastered.

splette wrote:Hey RR,
so happy to see an AE-compatible version of the UI modding that phlakes started. Also thanks for including my shields (btw, seeing that Mantis with my name in one of the screenshots made me smile)

Anyway, I've been using the mod for almost a week now and here's some feedback for you to consider or ignore:

-transparent text boxes: sure look fancy but I do find the transparency distracting for reading. Even after a while I didn't get used to it. Please please reconsider...
-enemy background hexagons: I didn't even notice the enemy window is expanded now but I do miss the hexagons in the background a lot. Perhaps I can help. I could send you an separate png or illustrator file of the hexagons I used for the shields. Those have the same size. Edit: Here is an Illustrator file with hexagons. Can you work with that? Maybe something similar to this?
-I like the new doors, except the highest level blast door (the thicker one). Unlike the other doors, this one looks a little bit blurry for some reason. Also, I think it's too similar to the blast door that's one level weaker. I know it's thicker, but it would be nice if the difference was bigger (maybe make it a bit darker or something?)
-I noticed a few minor graphical glitches: Every fourth green block of the enemy hull indicator has a cut-off corner. This was not intended, right? Sometimes when evade is 0, the evade graphic seems to be a few pixels off. I think it only happens when the helm is hacked. Do you know what I am talking about?

I think that's it.

Now for things I love:
-the new loading screen with the small Kestrel is amazing!
-I like the new fonts, even though the one for weapons etc. is a bit smaller. But it fits well
-The original phlakes' color of the UI is great. I wouldn't consider changing it...

Great mod. Thanks a lot for taking all the time to make it (I did my own UI long time ago and only then I realized just how many graphics files you need to edit... urgh).

I hope the Ship Greeble Graphics Mod will be finished at some point. It would make a great addition.

Thanks for the appreciation splette! I love your work.
Yeah, this took AAAAAAAGGGGGEEEEEEESSSSSSS to "finish"............ :lol: I'm glad you like it.

Transparent text windows:
I have not noticed a problem, but since a lot of people are concerned about them I will probably make them less transparent and also make a version with no transparency at all.

Enemy Hexes:
Thanks for those images! I may just use those. I've been working on adding the hexes back in. That is something I would like to see put back in as well.

Doors:
I will probably darken the color on the level 4 door then so it looks more distinguished from level 3. I will keep it thick though because that's he I think "Super" Blast Doors should look. :P

Graphical glitches:
I'm not sure about the Evade indicator being a few pixels off, I will check that. I actually thought the shields critical warning was a few pixels off, but after directly comparing screenshots I found that it was just an illusion. Maybe that's the same thing? But thanks fir telling me, I'll check.

The enemy hull indicator "ticks" were intentional. I wanted to divide the indicator into sections of 4 so you could more easily calculate exactly how much hull the enemy has left. Instead of counting each box now you can count in increments of 4. :geek: If you have a better, more neat looking, idea for a design of the hull indicator bar then please share it with me. :idea:

Loading screen:
That's the way it should have been in vanilla right?! ;)

Font:
This smaller font is used in Captain's Edition. I like it better too. I'm glad you do too. I find it helps with some things. Text won't spill of the text box as much, and for certain weapons they won't overlap things like the missile icon. But those are mostly issues that only happen with mods.

Thank you everyone for your feedback, please keep it coming. It helps a lot and I consider everything you say. :D
ScubaSteve3465

Postby ScubaSteve3465 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:22 am

Why the heck is a UI mod changing floor layouts? I was just about to download this until I seen it modifies the ships. If you for whatever reason, don't want to remove the floors then perhaps a separate version that just has the UI edits?