FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
rannl

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.208c/Inf 1.209/EL 0.98f

Postby rannl » Sat May 03, 2014 7:12 am

Estel wrote:Side note: I just love how various creative people are starting to contribute CE, which was a one-man effort, once (although based on work from many other people before, it was still a huge task to mix it up properly, then start adding new, awesome content) - like, rannl had basically joined "team" in full scale re EL part, or those awesome hulls constantly contributed, or... :) Now the offer of making sprites.

I think that the project already surpassed what sleepy initially suspected it will become in his wildest dreams (unless he have *REALLY* wild dreams ;) ), but looking at the momentum and vector, I see great potential for future. If only the maingame would be even more modding-friendly... :( Seriously, I would pay for FTL *again* (and I bought it twice already) triple or more, just to get all those hardcoded things exported as LUA scripts (aka "Don't Starve") or even something more accessible. Maybe we should start a kickstarter campaign to buy source code (and FOSS'ify it) from our favorite developing duo? ;)

/Estel

Thanks for the credit Estel, never got mentioned like that by someone other then Sleepy ;)
There is that game rewrite project Vhati is working on, but I think he'll need a lot of help. Maybe I'll take a look at it in the future.

Nicb1, good job on those sprites. You can help with other mods too. The one I'm betting on as a good concept is Lighter Then Air.
The wise Sten

Postby The wise Sten » Sat May 03, 2014 7:42 am

For scientific facts on railguns:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun

Nicb1 wrote:
Frazer wrote:-

Thanks, glad you like the idea.

In my opinion there would only be two variations of the weapon. A high speed projectile type similar to a laser shot and a one shot beam type(So the weapon will not be able to sweep across multiple rooms as I personally think this would make it too op).

Edit: Also here's a different coloured version of my concept. (This is the projectile type, Also there are two versions here as I was just screwing around with the sprite so it doesnt look like a ripoff of the industrial beam)
Any criticisms are welcome, whether it be about the idea or the sprite. Just take into consideration that i'm definitely not a pro when it comes to spriting.
The lower sprites were my first attempts at creating a weapon.(And i know that the projectile looks awful)
This is what happens when i'm supposed to be working but keep procrastinating.

Railguns actually have no recoil, I would imagine. The idea is awesome and magnificient, railguns are one of the coolest weapons concieved. However if there was atmosphere in space the visuals would far cooler. Why is there no air in space!? :x
Nicb1

Postby Nicb1 » Sat May 03, 2014 8:29 am

I didn't actually know about railguns not having any recoil. It's easy enough to remove the recoil from the sprites if need be though. But then again this is a video game universe and the laws of irl physics don't have to always apply. In the future I will remove the recoil if requested.

Edit:
Well I've done a version with no recoil and refined a bit.
I won't post any more images unless sleeper wants me to do a few sprites for the mod.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat May 03, 2014 11:46 am

Ah, the idea of having some kind of railgun/raildriver/magrail/kinetic weapon/projectile cannon/accellerator weapon. That has been around for ever, I think I read that the defs considered putting something in during development as well. I considered something like this several times, but I never really found a place for it in FTL. I try not to delude existing weapon categories and I currently see no real mechanic that would allow making railguns distinct in a lore friendly, coherent way. Damage reduction through shields is only possible with beams, but it would have been interesting for a railgun projectile weapon. If it would be possible to make projectile weapons that always hit, then this would be a great starting point for railguns IMO. Right now I see little weapon mechanics that are left unexplored, and I see none that would give railguns a distinct place in the game.

Thanks for the offer for help with spriting. But IMO that is where a lot of fun is at, so I probably continue doing that myself. ;)

rannl wrote:There is that game rewrite project Vhati is working on, but I think he'll need a lot of help. Maybe I'll take a look at it in the future.

Yeah overdrive has been arround pretty much since modding FTL became a thing. I hope this will be finished at some point, but it does not look like there is a lot of activity concerning the project.

Estel wrote:Side note: I just love how various creative people are starting to contribute CE, which was a one-man effort, once (although based on work from many other people before, it was still a huge task to mix it up properly, then start adding new, awesome content) - like, rannl had basically joined "team" in full scale re EL part, or those awesome hulls constantly contributed, or...

Yeah, Rannl definitely should get some more recognition for his part in CE.

Estel wrote:I think that the project already surpassed what sleepy initially suspected it will become in his wildest dreams (unless he have *REALLY* wild dreams ;) ), but looking at the momentum and vector, I see great potential for future. If only the maingame would be even more modding-friendly... :( Seriously, I would pay for FTL *again* (and I bought it twice already) triple or more, just to get all those hardcoded things exported as LUA scripts (aka "Don't Starve") or even something more accessible. Maybe we should start a kickstarter campaign to buy source code (and FOSS'ify it) from our favorite developing duo? ;)

:D I definitely did not expect this when I started working on Balanced Arsenal, back then, more than a year ago. :o Time passes... I totally forgot then: Happy birthday CE!

Estel wrote:Not sure if it's a bug or a feature (Laniuses being ignorant to Zoltan Authority), but I guess that even the sole talent for negotiating could give greenies an edge here. Same apply for negotiating a PLAYER surrender, BTW - blue option is lacking.

Its a feature. ;) I don't telegraph this very well, but if you surrender to Lanius yourself, then the event will point out that the Lanius care little about space combat etiquette. IMO that is coherent with the game displaying them as some kind of hard-to-communicate-with pillagers. To me, it would feel slightly off if you could negotiate terms based on some law they don't even know or care about, with no common language ground to begin with. Zoltan authority simply does not apply to them and diplomatic talent has limits.

Estel wrote:Suggestion: When we're at Zoltan surrenders - I'm not entirely sure if the possible outcome where we "drop down our shield and engines and take whole salvo on the hull" is really good idea. Usually, when player choose option saying in blue letters something like "Those people can be still reasoned with, there is no need for violence", lowering one's shield and letting enemy damage you without reaction isn't what comes to mind. While whole way of acting makes sense when facing Zoltan border police etc (we know that they moral codex won't allow them to shot on defenseless opponent), it isn't making much sense when fighting thieves, pirates, or desperate people in quarantine sector (aka - anyone that can still shot at us with high probability). Or at least, it could give further option, like "We lowered our shields and stopped engines, but they're still coming in at attack vector, weapons hot!" that allow to change our mind and fight anyway.

I like that this event shows that your crew really means it. Considering the huge amount of free stuff you can get through Zoltan negotiations (to the point where you might get free stuff for trying to avoid a fight) I'd say some possibility of having it backfire a little is OK.

R&D news:
Ion Flaks are done, complete with unique new projectiles. The cryo concept based on lockdown has also been implemented, in the form of "crystal heavy lockdown", on a couple of new and old weapons. I made an explosion graphic that really looks like the whole room gets completely crystallized, burring crew under crystals while stunning them for the time of lockdown. That opens some interesting possibilities, cause you can still beam your away team into that crystal mess, or set it on fire. Theseus will start with the Lockdown Bomb Mark II that causes this effect.
inxanity

Postby inxanity » Sat May 03, 2014 11:47 am

The wise Sten wrote:Railguns actually have no recoil, I would imagine.

If you believe that rail guns don't have recoil, you are dead wrong.
If you had known even basic physics, you would realize that you cannot propel a projectile without recoil. At all.
Here's a video in which you can clearly see a rail gun recoiling. It doesn't matter if you propel your projectile chemically or electromagnetically, you're still going to experience recoil.
Kaerius

Postby Kaerius » Sat May 03, 2014 11:56 am

inxanity wrote:
The wise Sten wrote:Railguns actually have no recoil, I would imagine.

If you believe that rail guns don't have recoil, you are dead wrong.
If you had known even basic physics, you would realize that you cannot propel a projectile without recoil. At all.
Here's a video in which you can clearly see a rail gun recoiling. It doesn't matter if you propel your projectile chemically or electromagnetically, you're still going to experience recoil.

Newton's third law of motion: Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_l ... 7s_3rd_Law
Nicb1

Postby Nicb1 » Sat May 03, 2014 12:36 pm

Thanks for the offer for help with spriting. But IMO that is where a lot of fun is at, so I probably continue doing that myself. ;)

No problem. If you do ever need a hand just let me know.
If I have the time I may attempt to create a relatively small experimental weapons mod. Would it be fine with you if I built this mod with CE in mind, as in like an addon?( I can't play FTL without CE anymore so I would want to make this as compatible as possible)
This would still have it's own thread though.
Still not sure if i'll actually do this, depending on what its like adding stuff to FTL. I still haven't even looked into any FTL modding tutorials yet.
tripwood

Postby tripwood » Sat May 03, 2014 12:37 pm

Is there a way to peacefully resolve the conflict with the Flagship as a Zoltan? I had max engines, max shields, max weapons but it stopped after the engine blue option (first shields, then engine). Do I need max reactors too?

Love this mod! Thanks.
New Guy

Postby New Guy » Sat May 03, 2014 12:52 pm

Nicb1 wrote:

No problem. If you do ever need a hand just let me know.
If I have the time I may attempt to create a relatively small experimental weapons mod. Would it be fine with you if I built this mod with CE in mind, as in like an addon?( I can't play FTL without CE anymore so I would want to make this as compatible as possible)
This would still have it's own thread though.
Still not sure if i'll actually do this, depending on what its like adding stuff to FTL. I still haven't even looked into any FTL modding tutorials yet.

If you plan to do this, and somehow integrate at least some force-based functionality into FTL, I'll love you forever :>
======================
[WIP] Federation Strike Cruiser | Progress: 100% Art, 0% Coding
(Project pending until Superluminal2)
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat May 03, 2014 12:56 pm

Nicb1 wrote:If I have the time I may attempt to create a relatively small experimental weapons mod. Would it be fine with you if I built this mod with CE in mind, as in like an addon?( I can't play FTL without CE anymore so I would want to make this as compatible as possible)

Sure that is all good. :)

tripwood wrote:Is there a way to peacefully resolve the conflict with the Flagship as a Zoltan? I had max engines, max shields, max weapons but it stopped after the engine blue option (first shields, then engine). Do I need max reactors too?

You need some other non-aggressive systems and a diverse crew. ;) Someone spoiled the exact requirements a few pages ago I think, but maybe you prefer finding out yourself.