FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Russian Rockman

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.206/Inf 1.206/EL 0.96

Postby Russian Rockman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:00 am

Sleeper Service wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:And reading the first post also makes me think about old ideas that were abandoned. Like the Anti-Bio beam drone, why didn't that work exactly?

Due to the way automated beam targeting works (always starting at the middle of a random room, moving towards another random room) the anti-bio drone was unable to ever hit crew in certain position on the ship. Which made it appear kind of glitches and would sometimes force you to destroy the ship even though you have effective crew killing gear.

Makes sense. Too bad though. Does Anti-Bio work on a per room basis or per tile basis? I can't remember. Even an Anti-Bio focus beam wouldn't work then... :( Then again we now have "plenty" of other means of taking out the enemy crew with other kinds of drones now. :D It's just my dream to have every weapon type have a drone equivalent.

Sleeper Service wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:And could an effector drone maybe be more practical now if you made a drone that had burst targeting?

I don't think that effects (ha!) that ion damage and shield piercing do not go well together. At last there is an Effector Anti-Drone now...

Oh right. Derp. Drones+Bombs doesn't work. :evil: Was wondering what that effector drone was. Effector Anti-Drone is good enough for me then. :) Anti-Drone with a baldy radius sounds like a good idea still I think though.

Sleeper Service wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:And on that note their should be a plasma throwing drone.

There definitely should! :)

:D Hope you didn't already have that one too.

Other question? Was the reason making different shield drones didn't work because they are handled like Boarding, AP, repair and ion drones?
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:15 am

Crew damage on beams work on a per tile basis. If the drone beam starts in the middle of a room and move away from the tile the crew is on, it will not touch that tile and deal no damage. The cockpit of the Rebel Fighter is a typical example where this does prevent the drone from ever damaging the last crewmen of the ship.

Russian Rockman wrote:Other question? Was the reason making different shield drones didn't work because they are handled like Boarding, AP, repair and ion drones?

Exactly, the game always uses the same vanilla image for these drones, for whatever reason. It might be because the animations for these drones are handled differently? Discovering this was a little disappointing, I really liked the ones I made. :(
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:29 am

Sleeper Service wrote:Crew damage on beams work on a per tile basis. If the drone beam starts in the middle of a room and move away from the tile the crew is on, it will not touch that tile and deal no damage. The cockpit of the Rebel Fighter is a typical example where this does prevent the drone from ever damaging the last crewmen of the ship.

Ah ok, now I completely understand. Thank you. That was "educational".

I noticed that the "Anaerobizer" :D beam dmi3 made for the Lanius in the Open Artillery mod often causes a series of breaches in a straight line which I'm not used too. Luckily that and the "Sunfire" beam for the Rock do not suffer from this issue because at least they'll always affect one tile of a room.

Sleeper Service wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:Other question? Was the reason making different shield drones didn't work because they are handled like Boarding, AP, repair and ion drones?

Exactly, the game always uses the same vanilla image for these drones, for whatever reason. It might be because the animations for these drones are handled differently? Discovering this was a little disappointing, I really liked the ones I made. :(

I did too!!! It's a shame you can't even change the speed at which it creates a super shield... If you can think of ANY other possible drone that could use those ones you made I would love it. Too bad that focused Zoltan shield thing (using bombs) to protect individual systems didn't work. Maybe you can find some uses for them and just recolor their cute little "eyes". Could they be some kind of drones that generate shields for themselves? I don't know just brainstorming here.

Other question? :roll: Can bombs actually be destroyed by lasers and other bombs? I've read this multiple places, but have never been able to do it myself.

And one last question. What were some of the other ideas that you abandoned for whatever reason? I've always been curious about that

Are those two two cloaking drones both beam drones? Are they meant to not be able to be targeted by Anti-Drones? Could you make just couple more variants of those. A combat one, a missile one, an ion one, a light laser one, not one for every type but at least two other types?

Aslo, since beam colors can now have different colors now. YEAH!!! :D you could really make each of your types of beams feel even more different just by "slightly" tweaking the beam color for each one.
Last edited by Russian Rockman on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:30 am

R4V3-0N wrote:Am I the only one who just loves at looking at the images and re-reading the first post here? or is it just me .-.

Believe me, I've been doing that for a loooooong time. There's just something hypnotizing in the beauty of the BA and DE showcase images. In fact, I've felt tempted multiple times to group them all in families (including vanila weapons) and write a description for each family, also pointing out their differences in sMPK.

Sorry I haven't been active lately Sleepy and co. It's just that I find it rather annoying to play a relaxing game such as FTL with my broken hand, so I haven't even played AE properly, and I'd rather avoid getting spoiled of everything and have maybe just three blind vanilla AE victories before coming back to CE.

Guess your clientele increased since Totalbiscuit (who forgot to farm sectors) did a video on CE though, so maybe you haven't missed me as much.

But you know I wouldn't post without actually trying to aport something, so here it goes:

Since it's such a rare evet, and considering how much better anomaly_2 looks than anomaly_1, consider discarding anomaly_1 and using anomaly_2 as the only anomaly hazard background.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:40 am

Russian Rockman wrote:Glad to see Estel back! I remember when people like Mr. Mister and The Captain used to come around here all the time. :( Also, I think slowy died "Last visited: April 13, 2014." :?

Welcome back Mr. Mister!!! :D Sorry to hear about your hand. Personally I want to beat AE vanilla with every ship in the game before I touch CE again. That's why I don't really know much about CE as I should. I'm only watching playthroughs by other people.

Mr. Mister wrote:Believe me, I've been doing that for a loooooong time. There's just something hypnotizing in the beauty of the BA and DE showcase images. In fact, I've felt tempted multiple times to group them all in families (including vanila weapons) and write a description for each family, also pointing out their differences in sMPK.

If you did that for all the different weapons I would be very very happy. It would actually help out a lot with modding I think. :D
Hadza

Postby Hadza » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:00 am

Guys, I got a MAD save for you :P I very strongly recommend you play it, it got a nifty weapon in it, not gonna spoil :P My lanius proudly crafted it for me for 40 scrap. Totally worth it XD It's on crystal B, so might not work if you don't have it, dunno. Also, captain's edition is 1.205. Just put it in your "fasterthanlight" folder in documents folder and then press continue ingame.
http://yadi.sk/d/EFNV-kj9N8Yfj
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:38 am

Welp, Just because I love you guys and this mod.
(and also how I am replacing "Advance Edition" button for "Captains Edition" on my mod overhaul which mainly features engi's, also making this a player ship)

I made a type B engi station just for you guys. Already PM'ed Sleeper Service for the enemy Engi Station B and gibs recolored and fixed up some errors.

I love helping out Captains Edition. So far got the Federation Light Artillery (militia artillery in CE I think it is), Mantis Minelayer / Defender, and now this. yay. :D
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Kaerius

Postby Kaerius » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:51 am

I have a question, is it possible to unlock the crystal cruiser in infinite space? IE: Can infinite space produce rock homeworlds? (I'm fairly certain it can produce engi/zoltan space for the zoltan research facility event, but I could be wrong).
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:39 pm

CEi features a new crystal sector type, "Ancient" or something. Upon entry, if you don't have a Crystallite on-board, you're forced to jumped to deep space.

I don't know if Sleepy placed the crystal ship unlocking quests there though.
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:48 pm

Mr. Mister wrote:CEi features a new crystal sector type, "Ancient" or something. Upon entry, if you don't have a Crystallite on-board, you're forced to jumped to deep space.

I don't know if Sleepy placed the crystal ship unlocking quests there though.

He probably did.