Bird of Prey Achievement Broken?

General discussion about the game.
Fredchuckdave

Bird of Prey Achievement Broken?

Postby Fredchuckdave » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:52 am

I've been using the God awful stealth cruiser for a while and would like to unlock the second layout prior to putting it in the ship graveyard for all eternity; however having killed a handful of ships within the span of a single cloak I've yet to get the achievement to pop, anyone else have this issue?
Fredchuckdave

Re: Bird of Prey Achievement Broken?

Postby Fredchuckdave » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:35 am

Figured this out, it only works if you stay in stealth until after the ship is destroyed (pretty much requires 3 bars of stealth). Additionally you can bug it out by reducing the HP of an enemy, jumping away, and then killing it in one volley on the next encounter. The second form has one of the best weapons in the game so I might give it a try, despite the crippling lack of shields.
broodwolf

Postby broodwolf » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:14 pm

I can confirm that the trick of damaging a ship, jumping out, jumping in, and finishing it off with a single cloak works.

Also, hitting Zoltan Shields doesn't count against you, so you can wreck their Zoltan Shield, wait, then kill them in a single cloak for the achievement.
Aerowind

Postby Aerowind » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Honestly, the lack of shields isn't really that big of a problem considering you start with stealth. You can put away most ships in the early sectors without ever getting hit. Targeting the weapons system should always be your first priority, unless they have an offensive drone. After that, you should be fine.
xdiesp

Postby xdiesp » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:23 am

While not as good as jumpin in and out of the fight, here's another trick: fire some missiles at their shield generator, then use cloak right before they connect. Those few seconds of missile flight compute as a hit made during stealth.
StarWarsOZ

Postby StarWarsOZ » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:15 am

Thank u people, have been trying to get this achevement for some time, and now I know what I am doing wrong.
Glad I wasn't being completely retarded and doing it wrong. :D
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
Bill Watterson
n_slash_a

Postby n_slash_a » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:16 pm

Okay, I just figured out something about this achievement. If you read the description of Stealth Weapons, it says
This augmentation negates the cloak duration shortening effect caused by firing non-beam weapons while cloaked.
The important part being non-beam. Therefore, if you unlock the Stealth B ship with the other two achievements (which you can do in 1 run), then just start a game with Stealth B, go to the first engagement, wait until your Glaive Beam is charged (which took me a few attempts as they kept damaging my weapon system), then cloak and fire. Achievement unlocked!
BirdofPrey

Postby BirdofPrey » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:17 am

Achievement worked fine for me naturally.
csiebester

Postby csiebester » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:38 am

I killed 3 ships in a single cloak before I finally dedicated a run to the achievement.

I think the problem people may be having is that the game doesn't register the kill and therefore the achievement until after the breaking up animation completes and the text box comes up.

I got the achievement with the Stealth A by going through the first sector until I could buy stealth 2. Then I found an unshielded drone, damaged it, flew away came back and killed it with only the mini beam.