[MOD] New Game Booster

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Bonnie Lass

[MOD] New Game Booster

Postby Bonnie Lass » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:03 pm

There are a lot of ship designs that require a bit of luck during the beginning of the game to really shine. It can really get frustrating. So I decided to try out a couple of mods that help you in the beginning. Beginning Scrap was the first thing I turned to, it's packaged with GMM and just gives you some scrap at the start of the game. But that still relied on making it to a store that had what I needed. So I tried Beginning Scrap Upgrade, but I found what it gives you far too potent, there were options that were worth over 200 scrap!

I went back to Beginning Scrap, but I soon found that the event is triggered every time you visit a civilian sector, not just when you start the game. (I think Beginning Scrap Upgrade has this flaw as well.) So it would seem I'd have to make my own. What I did to fix this problem was edit what event is loaded at the start of the game, so rather than the usual event that is shared, it's unique.

I decided on a budget of 50 scrap. You have the option of getting this scrap as a lump sum, getting a human crew member & 10 scrap, getting long ranged sensors & 20 scrap, or getting a Burst Laser Mark I. Now I no longer feel quite so dependent on getting very lucky early on in the game, and I don't feel pigeon-holed into replaying the same ships over and over again. I hope you find this simple little mod useful.

A word of warning, this will conflict with any mod that alters the start of the game and may conflict with mods that alter Federation Space (i.e. the first sector). So if you have doubts, just put the Booster up high in your load order. If it still works, then there's no conflict.

Download New Game Booster v1.0

If you have any suggestions as to what else you'd like to see done with the 50 scrap, feel free to post it. Although, don't bother suggesting a Scrap Recovery Arm, that would be entirely too powerful.
TheNewbie

Re: [MOD] New Game Booster

Postby TheNewbie » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:09 pm

Interesting.
8Dan8

Postby 8Dan8 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:00 am

You could add drones for the drone based classes. my ideas for two other options at the start are:
system repair drone+20 scrap
defence drone mark 1+0 scrap

These I feel would really help drone based classes and having both or even one would be great.
Thanks for the consideration.
whc2k

Postby whc2k » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:05 pm

One thing: I just started a game with this mod, and apparently the crew option isn't always a human, because I got a Mantis.
Pruntyisawesome

Postby Pruntyisawesome » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:23 pm

Quite interesting mod, and the most important thing: usefull. Will download and try it out! Thank you for your work! :D
Pruntyisawesome

Postby Pruntyisawesome » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:29 pm

"If you're to survive the your journey" - i personally think that it's a small mistake, but i am bad at english, so...
agigabyte

Postby agigabyte » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:45 pm

Pruntyisawesome wrote:"If you're to survive the your journey" - i personally think that it's a small mistake, but i am bad at english, so...

Yeah, it would be "If you're to survive the/journey..."
chuisfree

Postby chuisfree » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:12 pm

I would like to play with this mod but it crashes with the advanced edition. Anyone willing to do a quick fix on it? Or is it unlikely to happen ...
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:56 am

chuisfree wrote:I would like to play with this mod but it crashes with the advanced edition. Anyone willing to do a quick fix on it? Or is it unlikely to happen ...

SMM doesn't work with AE at the moment, as far as I can tell. I may have ways around it, but my computer is a garbled mess of code, so it'll take a while before I can pick the right program out.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:53 am

English Narwhal wrote:SMM doesn't work with AE at the moment, as far as I can tell. I may have ways around it, but my computer is a garbled mess of code, so it'll take a while before I can pick the right program out.

SMM does work with AE, you just need to update its backups.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL