Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
R4V3-0N

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread. Updated Oct 20, 2013

Postby R4V3-0N » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:41 pm

Even though the "Look at..." part didn't make sense (if you mean the weapon tutorial with the laser then yea I was reading that thoroughly, says nothing about the number part at the end of the strip)

But the 2nd to last line helped...

to bad I already counted the numbers of every god damn vanilla weapon strip to see what's the biggest number and then make my one the number after that >_> oh well. live and learn.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:54 pm

The numbers in _strip## part indicate the number of frames in the sprite. However, it is not mandatory for sprites to be named that way -- it's merely there to help you code the animations and/or differentiate multiple animations for similar weapons easily.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:18 pm

okay cheers.

I seem to be having issues with the visuals.

My gun fires invisible lasers.
My glow image is not centered right on the weapon even though they both the same size
and
My gun is squished and made shorter. (edit: I am now looking at it closely and I think it's missing the tip of the barrel)

I keep checking my my blueprint and animation but I do not see a problem and all the images are in the weapons folder. I keep looking back at the weapon modding tutorial but can't seem to find my problem...

Edit; just thought it may be better if I upload the images as well.

Image Image
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:44 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:
  1. My gun fires invisible lasers.
  2. My glow image is not centered right on the weapon even though they both the same size
  3. My gun is squished and made shorter.

1. You've mistyped the projectile's name somewhere. Either file name, anim, animSheet or the weaponBlueprint itself. Double check those.
  2. Glow image should be the size of a single frame of the weapon's sprite. Likely connected to #3.
  3. You've declared wrong dimensions in the animSheet. Check the width/height and frameWidth/frameHeight (w, h, fw, fh) attributes.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:42 pm

Thanks again KartoFlane.

I found out I was missing the entire bit for the projectile animation, I thought I had to do it the same way you do it with drones/ drone weapons, my bad :roll:

Also there is just 1 more weapon regarding weapons.

How does ion damage affect beams and how does shield piercing affect beams and ion + piercing affects.? I recall them being odd in some FTL LP's that had things like that in them.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:03 am

I found out I was missing the entire bit for the projectile animation, I thought I had to do it the same way you do it with drones/ drone weapons, my bad :roll:

The two weapons tutorials are the most complete tutorials overall, IIRC.
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:16 am

Yea, well In the end I found out I can't make the projectile work right to save my life, I edited the picture and anim so many times and remeasure again and again each part of the script but nope, it looks exactly the same now.

Image Image Image

these 3 shots were from the same projectile in the same game. I doubt that I would fix this with minor help or advice. I also doubt anyone would bother to do it for me. So I am just going to stop with the weapon modding.

I can try to keep my mods interesting with new drones and

(before anyone mentions me as a cowards or talk smack because I'm giving up, It's not giving up if you tried everything humanly possible for you. I worked to the best of my abilities and I failed. I do not care if you can do this in your sleep or read this and yell in anger how stupid this guy is. I know how to do my stuff, and you know how to do yours. Don't hate on me for being different and not specialized in this field.)

Edit: the glow image is still off center, even though it's as high and wide as it is compaired to the weapon. (not the entire weapon script)

as you see, the glow image on this weapon is to low and to far to the left even though it is the same size as the weapon (check a view posts above to see the weapon and glow image, place the glow ontop of the guns, you see it fits nicely)
Last edited by R4V3-0N on Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:34 am

Um. Your animation frame height/width/frame count is wrong.

Going to go back to sleep, but I'll go over your code tomorrow- post up your projectile graphics and animation code here.
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:13 am

R4V3-0N wrote:Yea, well In the end I found out I can't make the projectile work right to save my life, I edited the picture and anim so many times and remeasure again and again each part of the script but nope, it looks exactly the same now.

Image Image Image

these 3 shots were from the same projectile in the same game. I doubt that I would fix this with minor help or advice. I also doubt anyone would bother to do it for me. So I am just going to stop with the weapon modding.

I can try to keep my mods interesting with new drones and

(before anyone mentions me as a cowards or talk smack because I'm giving up, It's not giving up if you tried everything humanly possible for you. I worked to the best of my abilities and I failed. I do not care if you can do this in your sleep or read this and yell in anger how stupid this guy is. I know how to do my stuff, and you know how to do yours. Don't hate on me for being different and not specialized in this field.)

Edit: the glow image is still off center, even though it's as high and wide as it is compaired to the weapon. (not the entire weapon script)

as you see, the glow image on this weapon is to low and to far to the left even though it is the same size as the weapon (check a view posts above to see the weapon and glow image, place the glow ontop of the guns, you see it fits nicely)

Okay, this is what you need to do. Take the heavy laser animation, copy-paste it, and rename the newly created animation. Then use the only weapon animation my mod has. I'm telling you this because it seems that you've simply repainted the heavy laser projectile just like I did in TFSB.

Can't think of anything for the glow, though. Sorry.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:01 am

Weapon:

Glow:

Projectile:

Sorry I re-writed the code so many times and we already know it's all bonkers at the moment :roll:

Code: Select all

<animSheet name="laser_heavy_1" w="208" h="62" fw="26" fh="62">weapons/heavy_1_strip8.png</animSheet>
this is what I started out with... (I used the weapon base stats from the heavy laser 1 because it's essentially a heavy laser that does 2 sys damage instead of hull and an ion) (quick note, I did change the names and stuff to match the script)

That is what I started out with, then it turned to this latest monstrosity....

Code: Select all

<animSheet name="engi_ion_laser" w="181" h="16" fw="25" fh="16">weapons/engi_ion_laser_strip242.png</animSheet>

I also used a different image for this bit of coding, I cropped the image down a bit and moved the bolts closer to each other because I was continuing to experiment and try and get it right... which I didn't.

this may be it. but honestly I got no idea, my PC is a mess from constant unpacking zip's to see how other people did there ships and stuff (btw I now know how to do it) and also my own ship as I try to correct and fail.
Last edited by R4V3-0N on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.