[Ship] The Red October

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
ClockALock

[Ship] The Red October

Postby ClockALock » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:21 am

In honor of the late Tom Clancy, I give you...

The Soviet missile submarine Red October.

Screenshots above.

The Red October comes equipped with a pair of basic torpedo launchers and two tubes to launch its twenty-six SS-N-20 Seahawk missiles. There are three boring humans to run the sub, because this boat starts with one power bar in the shields! Don't worry, however, as its new caterpillar drive system will protect you from damage. External placement of the ship's batteries allows for extra system strength, and an advanced inertial navigation system will help you avoid hazards. This is a sub, after all, so that calls for extra bulkheads in case of flooding, and some extra oxygen facilities. Russian sonar isn't as good as the capitalist Americans', however, so you'll have to use basic sensors.

EDIT: Yes, this ship doesn't have a teleporter. If you buy one, the game will "eat" the scrap. Don't buy it!

Хорошие парусного спорта, товарищ!

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?1p4s5taqcydloe4

Image from: http://bagera3005.deviantart.com/art/Re ... -154012085
http://bagera3005.deviantart.com/ , I take no credit for it.

Replaces the Kestrel A.

As I said at the top, I was inspired to make this mod by Tom Clancy's fantastic book, The Hunt For RED OCTOBER, and this mod is fully dedicated to him. May he rest in peace.
Last edited by ClockALock on Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5thHorseman

Re: [Ship] The Red October

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:44 am

Sweet looking ship. I was going to say thematically it needed a cloak but I see you put it on there. :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
ClockALock

Postby ClockALock » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:21 am

5thHorseman wrote:Sweet looking ship. I was going to say thematically it needed a cloak but I see you put it on there. :)

I was trying to stick thematically to the book as best I could. I thought a cloak would make a good caterpillar :D . Have you read the book?

Hardest part was when I finished the entire ship, tested it, and realized it was so long you couldn't even see the pilot's room. The current size? It was more than twice that length before. Also, I fiddled with the cloak for like half an hour trying to get it to not stretch funkiliy.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:36 am

ClockALock wrote:I was trying to stick thematically to the book as best I could. I thought a cloak would make a good caterpillar :D . Have you read the book?

I must admit I have not. However it's one of my favorite movies and easily my favorite Tom Clancy movie.

Hardest part was when I finished the entire ship, tested it, and realized it was so long you couldn't even see the pilot's room. The current size? It was more than twice that length before.

:shock: I was wondering how that thing would look in-game as is, I can't imagine it any longer! I'm surprised at that length that it works in a battle.

Also, I fiddled with the cloak for like half an hour trying to get it to not stretch funkiliy.

You didn't read my signature, did you? :D
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
ClockALock

Postby ClockALock » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:48 am

5thHorseman wrote:
ClockALock wrote:I was trying to stick thematically to the book as best I could. I thought a cloak would make a good caterpillar :D . Have you read the book?

I must admit I have not. However it's one of my favorite movies and easily my favorite Tom Clancy movie.

Hardest part was when I finished the entire ship, tested it, and realized it was so long you couldn't even see the pilot's room. The current size? It was more than twice that length before.

:shock: I was wondering how that thing would look in-game as is, I can't imagine it any longer! I'm surprised at that length that it works in a battle.

Also, I fiddled with the cloak for like half an hour trying to get it to not stretch funkiliy.

You didn't read my signature, did you? :D

I like the movie too, and the book was useful in getting all the details right. It actually didn't work, it was so long; you couln't see the pilot's room to move the humans. I literally went into gimp, scaled it down half, and used that as this hull image. Actually I did read your signature, and it helped me fix it. Thanks.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:51 pm

Nice idea. Seems it might get quite powerful when you get your shields up. You could make the player buy shields instead of handing them out low. Maybe it could also lose on of the lasers and get more missile ammo, this things just have little AA capabilities as far as know.

I read Red Storm Rising once... was interesting and scary to see how an global military confrontation could play out today.
ClockALock

Postby ClockALock » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:53 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:Nice idea. Seems it might get quite powerful when you get your shields up. You could make the player buy shields instead of handing them out low. Maybe it could also lose on of the lasers and get more missile ammo, this things just have little AA capabilities as far as know.

I read Red Storm Rising once... was interesting and scary to see how an global military confrontation could play out today.

I might lose the shields later, because technically a sub shouldn't have them. I was considering not having a shield at all (ever) at the start, but I thought that would be too hard. I don't really want to change the ammo, because canonically the Red October carries 26 missiles.
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:08 pm

Interesting. Rocks will take forever to walk the length of the ship! :lol:

Crew should be named Ramius, Ryan, and Mancuso - or Borodin - methinks.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:43 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:Nice idea. Seems it might get quite powerful when you get your shields up. You could make the player buy shields instead of handing them out low. Maybe it could also lose on of the lasers and get more missile ammo, this things just have little AA capabilities as far as know.

Red Storm Rising is probably my favorite Clancy novel, solely for the fact that it doesn't require reading an anthology of previous novels to see how everything chains together (Seriously, Jack Ryan is Clancy's version of John McClain I think).
That being said, I enjoyed both the book and the movie for Red October... heh, and probably spent way too much time trying to master the NES game as well. One detail I wish had made it into the movie was when in the book, one of the pursuing Russian subs suffers a nuclear meltdown in its reactor.

As to the mod itself? :D What can I say, it's a great ship and very interesting to see it translated to FTL. Though personally I'd have gone for an all-missile loadout, in keeping with the ICBM/Torpedo compliment.
ClockALock

Postby ClockALock » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:02 am

Kieve wrote:
As to the mod itself? :D What can I say, it's a great ship and very interesting to see it translated to FTL. Though personally I'd have gone for an all-missile loadout, in keeping with the ICBM/Torpedo compliment.

I was considering that, but I really didn't want to give more than 26 missiles as I stated before. And I HATE all-missile ships with a passion. The only ship in vanilla I never unlocked was the rock B, because I couldn't bear to play the A. So I thought, "hey, the October has torpedo tubes, right? Basic lasers are like torpedo tubes, right?" Yeah. I do still need to fix the medbay, though.