[Ship] Rock Brawler

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
ericrumor

[Ship] Rock Brawler

Postby ericrumor » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:22 pm

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lzfxavj0xn6j3ql/Rock%20Brawler.ftl?dl=0

My first mod and it works pretty well as far as i can tell.
Did one long play through with it and a couple short ones. Seemed overpowered at first but then i switched things around and i got destroyed so i changed stuff around again and i ended with this....

Let me know if i did something wrong or if theres something i should change. Like i said its my first attempt but im happy with it. Playing around with more ideas in my head if i were to make another ship.

Weapons:
Healing Bomb
Dual Lasers

Augments
Zolton Shield
Rock Plating

Drones
Boarding

Any creative criticism is welcome!

EDIT:
Took off zolton shield, removed drone stuff, added fire bomb. Made some graphical changes (nothing fancy), upped the shields i think and took off sensors. Maybe some other things, i dont really remember now. But the picture shows where its at now, file was updated to reflect the new loadout. A little more balanced i think but may still be a tad overpowered.
Last edited by ericrumor on Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImageImage
kartoFlane

Re: [Ship] Rock Brawler

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:02 pm

First of all, allow me to welcome you to the forums :)

Now, that's a pretty damn sweet-looking ship. Really nice visuals, the layout is quite nice, too.

It does look pretty OP though... While I take note of the level one engines and shields, it just has so much stuff - 4-person teleporter, medbay, complimentary weapons and drone loadout, and then zoltan shield + rock plating to top that all off...

I doubt I'd ever lose with that loadout, since you can just dump all of your early-game scrap into shields, and sell the boarding drone to get Defense I to ward off missiles - two rocks with heal bomb backup is a very good combo by itself.

I think it might be beneficial to remove the augments completely, and short the weapons system to 1 power (so that you have to decide between keeping your boarders safe, and pummeling on the enemy ship, at least early on). Editing weapons' system blueprint to make the lvl 2 upgrade price less of a killer would be required in this case, I guess.

Alternatively, removing the medbay and sensors to make the boarding gameplay less of a no-brainer.
Lowering initial reactor power would provide incentive to juggle the zoltans between rooms, which combined with boarding might make for a pretty interesting, intensive gameplay.

But those are just my thoughts, as it stands, this is a pretty solid ship ;)

On the aesthetical side of things, the hull could be nudged downwards by ~2 pixels, since the room layout isn't really centered (the engine room gives it away).
Also, adding around 15 vertical offset in the .txt layout file would make the ship appear centered in the hangar.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:20 pm

Man that hull looks sexy. Great work!

The ship does look OP at first glance. I suppose it has to be tough to be a brawler. Gonna give some more feedabck once i play it though. Probably next week.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
aaaaaa50

Postby aaaaaa50 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:30 pm

The ship hull looks like it's designed for ramming. :twisted:
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:22 pm

Really nice hull design. I like it a lot! The red looks nasty, although I think I personally would also love it in vanilla rock colours. Well done!
ericrumor

Postby ericrumor » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:16 pm

Thank you for the feedback so far, i appreciate it.
i fixed the floor so it lines up correctly with the ship, also adjusted so that the airlock doors actually touch the outside of the ship rather than floating in that gray edge spacing. Also lines up nicely in the hanger now too. Thanks for making me aware of those issues, not something i was really paying that much attention to.

Still trying to get it balanced. I took off the zolton shields and put 1 layer of regular shields. took off 1 system power of weapons and took sensors and doors.

Turned out to be real bad, i tried it real quick and ran into 2 class-m red giant stars within 3 beacons and it ended me.
ImageImageImage
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:22 pm

ericrumor wrote:Turned out to be real bad, i tried it real quick and ran into 2 class-m red giant stars within 3 beacons and it ended me.

That's just luck of the draw sometimes, I'm afraid. Best thing I can suggest in instances like that is to shrug, restart, and give it another go. The RNG is not always kind, and it can take several trial runs to get a feel for good balance.

Seriously nice design by the way. For a first effort, you've really given us something to oggle :D Well done!
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:09 pm

Played it on a livestream. Had a good time, though the RNG was in full "Stomp him!" mode, and the crew was incompetent, and i ... sucked.

Love the mod, loved Thin Mint too, excellent stuff.
Bawlin' in a Rock Brawler | http://www.twitch.tv/frumple1/c/3152870
(the Bruitages Enhanced sound FX mod was also patched it)
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:54 am

A small pirate ship messages you, "That sure is a shiny ship you got there."

FTL Captain's Edition is currently collecting new ship hulls to increase enemy variety. Your ship design fits the concept and is pretty cool. :) I want to ask permission to resize/recolour/modify it and integrate it into CE. It will probably become a black schemed, Rock military ram ship. Are you cool with that?
ericrumor

Postby ericrumor » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:06 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:FTL Captain's Edition is currently collecting new ship hulls to increase enemy variety. Your ship design fits the concept and is pretty cool. :) I want to ask permission to resize/recolour/modify it and integrate it into CE. It will probably become a black schemed, Rock military ram ship. Are you cool with that?

of course you can! do with it whatever you please. im all for it. glad you like it enough to want to include it. :)
ImageImageImage