5thHorseman's Playthroughs of Each Ship

Share and discuss FTL-related videos here.
5thHorseman

Re: 5thHorseman's Playthroughs of Each Ship

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:39 am

We continue our relentless slaughtering of the innocents... I mean rebels in the modded ship, The Duality.

Download the ship here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2729
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:45 pm

:lol: All that effort to hire a squishy meatsack you didn't need.

Drink to the two Mantises who paid the price so you could kill off the main crew.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:49 pm

Next up is The None-Man Army, a nice tweak on the Vortex to make it an automated ship.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:55 am

Qapla'! Today I take a Klingon Bird of Prey out for a spin, and with all the beatings I get it does quite a bit of spinning.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

The Captain

Postby The Captain » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:34 am

You bastard! You ended on an actual cliffhanger (low-health-warning-Mantis-boarders-still-on-ship-that's-cloaking)!
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:38 am

The Captain wrote:You bastard! You ended on an actual cliffhanger (low-health-warning-Mantis-boarders-still-on-ship-that's-cloaking)!

And I won't be uploading the next episode for about 7 hours :D

Though considering I'll be doing that instead of playing Saints Row IV, you should be happy that I upload it at all! :mrgreen:
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:50 pm

Join Han, Chewie, and I as we take The Millennium Falcon by Lanvi all the way to the end, either of the game or of the ship. Can we make it to the final boss in less than 12 parsecs?

Find out here!
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

Madhax

Postby Madhax » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:11 am

Let me start by saying that I'm thoroughly enjoying watching these videos, and I've downloaded several mods after watching you play them. I've also picked up several tricks and slightly altered my purchase priorities, which seems to have been for the better. Nice work!

I have to say, though, that your Noether run is really bugging me. The Zoltan shield is very resilient in early sectors, especially with high dodge. Actual shields are almost never needed. This is even true in asteroid fields, where you should easily have enough power and engine strength to win the fight and FTL jump before the asteroids wear down the z-shield.

Keeping the one guy in your shield room even before getting functional shields, then prioritizing the useless blue shield over the highly relevant engines, all seem like mistakes with that ship. Autofire with both ion cannons on weapons easily locks out any early enemy, there's no need to fire at their shields.

Your style seems to work out (I just skimmed that ship's videos), but I think you missed the opportunity to play a more efficient and unique build.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:20 am

I did not watch the video but i have to agree with Madhax' suggestion that the Z shield is a major ace with engines maxxed out asap. My crew never levels the shield skill and 2 lvl shields are enough for most enemies until the final battle.
Zoltan supershield also keeps repair costs down a LOT. To get the most out of it, you need every bit of good luck dodging incoming fire and that ofc means engines and piloting/engine skills. Beams will whittle it down in seconds though, so you can quite bet the house on it, but FTL is like that. No build is foolproof.

Helluva ship. Both Zoltan cruisers are high power stuff imo.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:15 am

I'm curious if you're talking about my Zoltan A run or Zoltan B run. When I did the A ships, I was still learning the game myself and made many, many mistakes that cause my jaw to drop when I see them today. Even some of the starting B ships have major faults in strategy, and preferring shields on the Zoltan ships is one of them.

I've already done a Redemption Run for the Nesasio, because the original was actually painful to watch, right deep down in my soul. I've considered doing the same with every A ship, and who knows maybe the B ships too. It's guaranteeing 70 or so more episodes... :)

That said, I've found that asteroids can shred Zoltan shields to the point where the first round of gunfire takes them down. These days, I consdier the Zoltan shield "1 shield" for my personal goals list, and (like all ships, actually) man the shields last. The order I man systems is almost always pilot, engine, weapons, shields.

Except in the current run, because I wanted Chewie on Weapons :D
My Videos - MY MOD HUB