[MOD] A Strange New Galaxy 04.01.15 (AE)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Metzelmax

Re: [MOD] A Strange New Galaxy 15.08.13 [WIP]

Postby Metzelmax » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:57 pm

ver0.4b
-> added 2 new events
-> added the Anterian Home sector (at the moment only another anterian sector + the homeworld event)
Here is the Stuff I made:
ImageImageImageImage
And stuff is always better than no stuff, right?
SaniK

Postby SaniK » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:45 pm

looks great, too bad I dont know how to install it.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:30 am

Download the Strange New Galaxy mod.
Copy it into /FTL/mods
Run GMM (download here)
Select the mod you wish to use and click Patch.
Start FTL

You may have some trouble with Windows not recognising .ftl files, or GMM not finding Python (solved here), so if you have more questions ask.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Metzelmax

Re: [MOD] A Strange New Galaxy 16.08.13 [WIP]

Postby Metzelmax » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:17 pm

ver0.5a

-> added the Caligula. This freighter starts with a custom event and multiple following events.
ImageImageImageImage
Discordwolf

Postby Discordwolf » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:42 pm

I would like to invite you to watch your mod being played and lived streamed from monday the 19th of august for a week at http://www.twitch.tv/pandatron76 from about 7pm est to 11pm est the streamer Pandatron would love it if you where to show up... We hope to see you there DenDaWolf ((mod for Pandatron76 on http://www.twitch.tv/pandatron76 ))
...snip...
- pls, don't quote the entire OP. ;)
Last edited by UltraMantis on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote too long
Metzelmax

Postby Metzelmax » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:17 am

7pm est is 1 am here in Germany. So i probably wont watch it live^^
ImageImageImageImage
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:40 am

This is a criminally underrated mod.

Very rich and well thought out. There are a few times it's apparent it's still under construction but overall it's one of the highest quality and most fun to play mods ever made for FTL. Don't miss out on it.
Esp don't dismiss it for cartoony looking ships. Visuals are detailed and carefully made. Ships, weapons, interiors and effects all show the author spent much time perfecting and polishing. The sound is also excellent, and it's something you can't appreciate by just glancing over screenshots.

Now some belated feedback (mostly about the Alpha Scout):
I love the R-7 droid, it's beautifull. :D

Should Shock Lasers start fires? It's pretty rare i admit, but i started a shocking inferno once, so i just have to ask. :lol:
The description implies that it cannot affect shields. It is not possible to make a weapon that can do normal or ion damage, yet be unable to penetrate shields. The Alpha Attack Drone has the same issue. It can (slowly) beat a 1-2 shield ship by itself.
You can do system or personnel damage without being able to affect shields. If both ion and system damage are used, the shield system takes damage per each shield bubble hit. Limitations of the game engine, i'm affraid. Kinda like the Ion beam issue.
You could work around it by replacing the third Laser with a system damaging burst laser. A simpler solution would be to alter the weapon description, because the Alpha Scout is quite good with it's three lasers. And i don't see how it could function without a weapon that can take down shields.

It starts with a nice bunch of drones. Perhaps too many? I sold off most of them (because i got a free Organic defense drone, Alpha Attack Drone and the crewkiller drone). Amazingly, the Antipersonell Drone was usefull in defending systems from being destroyed. Even though the ship was airless (never found crew) attackers still needed to be engaged. Likewise, the R-7 got pretty busy because even though the ship self-repairs systems, it's fairly slow.
Still, i think 1 of each drone is enough. Even if i had the power, i would not want to spend drone supplies powering more than one. It does fit the lore of the ship though.

There is a way to rework the UI to make room for any combination of weapon and drone slots, but i think it only works for single ship mods. Worth investigating maybe.

Should unique drones appear on enemy ships? I saw one R-7 on a Rebel Rigger. I guess some custom items are
available in all the universe but maybe it would be better to limit certain items to their own species? At least Rebels seem like they should not use alien tech. Pirates might though.

There is some wonky behavior involving the Alpha Scout and it's non-connected rooms. It's allways going to a little weird when there's a gap, but i think you made it worse by having double doors. You don't need 2 doors linking 2 rooms. It may look better, but it can also cause more pathing problems. One link between 2 rooms is enough to go back and forth.

The room behind the engines is redundant. The door leading to it goes through the engine, and you could put an airlock into the engine room itself.

Sadly the game crashed when i jumped into an Anterian Nebula (Sector 3). Here's what the stoutd.txt had to say:
ERROR: Repeated Event Name! Name: START_GAME
ERROR: Repeated Event Name! Name: START_BEACON
ERROR: Repeated Event Name! Name: FINISH_BEACON
ERROR: Repeated Event Name! Name: NOTHING
ERROR: Repeated Event Name! Name: UZ_DIS
ERROR: Repeated Event Name! Name: UZ_DIS2

I was playing the Alpha Scout (Kestrel B) and version 1.03.1 of FTL (yeah, i'm lazy with updates). I downloaded the mod yesterday, so unless an old version is still uploaded, i guess the Antarian Nebula bug is still there.

GREAT FUCKING JOB! 8-)
excellent mod
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:42 am

UltraMantis wrote:This is a criminally underrated mod.

Welcome to the FTL modding community.. :lol:
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
Metzelmax

Postby Metzelmax » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:47 pm

Thanks for reporting back!

The shock lasers start fires because they are supposed to overload the systems... and we all know form star trek that that causes all consoles on the bridge to explode and spread fires.
I just said "the Ion is Too weak to affect shields." so people dont wonder why it has no ion effect, since it technically doesnt has any ion involved.

It annoys me that the anterian sector still crashes, since when I go there it all works fine. Maybe its related to you having an older version... idk.
The repeated Events shouldnt cause that, since I need to overwrite the original events anyway to make most of the stuff work.

I saw one R-7 on a Rebel Rigger.

How did you know that it was a r-7 and not just a normal repair drone? Enemies dont use custom images and if you mouse over it just says "drone". Because I am very certain that only anterians actually use r-7, s-6 and gx-3.
ImageImageImageImage
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:50 pm

Metzelmax wrote:Thanks for reporting back!

The shock lasers start fires because they are supposed to overload the systems... and we all know form star trek that that causes all consoles on the bridge to explode and spread fires.

I should have been specific. The B type actually states it can start fires, i was only refering to the A type. Maybe the RNG decided there hasnt been a lot of fire in a while so it randomly decided to start armageddon. Fires were very rare with the A type except in that one case.
As for the Start Trek explanation. Well that makes it as official as it needs to be. I'm sold.

Metzelmax wrote:I just said "the Ion is Too weak to affect shields." so people dont wonder why it has no ion effect, since it technically doesnt has any ion involved.

I misunderstood the description. Thought the shot would not be able to dent shields.

Metzelmax wrote:It annoys me that the anterian sector still crashes, since when I go there it all works fine. Maybe its related to you having an older version... idk.
The repeated Events shouldnt cause that, since I need to overwrite the original events anyway to make most of the stuff work.

The errors about repeated events were probably logged before the crash and had nothing to do with it. People playing older versions may experience the crash as a result of database corruption. A lot of stuff from various mods ends up there, and it can cause conflicts or crashes. The game doesnt know what it's loading, it just expects the stuff to work and be compatible. Annoyingly, there is little you can do since your game is probably bug free.

Metzelmax wrote:How did you know that it was a r-7 and not just a normal repair drone? Enemies dont use custom images and if you mouse over it just says "drone". Because I am very certain that only anterians actually use r-7, s-6 and gx-3.

Maybe my eyes were playing tricks with me. I thought i saw a normal repair drone and an R-7, but what you say means that's impossible. I was wrong.

The reward text in event <ship name="UZ_STD_SHIP" is a bit wrong.
I suggest replacing:

Code: Select all

Once you stopped firing the ship turns around and jumps through a small spacerift into another dimension. Disappointed you want to jump away as well until you notice something drifting in space: A organic shell containing many diffrent goods. That is probably a thanks.

with

Code: Select all

As you cease fire the enemy ship turns and jumps through a small spacerift into another dimension. You prepare to jump away but you notice something drifting in space: An organic shell containing many diffrent goods. Probably their way of saying thanks.

Just trying to be helpfull, i hope my suggestion isn't too anal. I don't think you should be dissapointed with them leaving after letting them go in the first place.

One more note. The Ion Beam... just how many shields is it supposed to pierce? I know from personal experience (friggin High Energy Laser) that FTL can not be convinced to let a non-damaging beam skip 2 shields. It will skip 1 and it will skip 3, but 2 is out of the question. If skipping 3 shields is too much, then change the description to match.
Beams... gotta love them :D