DryEagle

[SHIP] The Amber Shard

Postby DryEagle » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:14 pm

Greetings, fellow FTLers!
I proudly present to you my newest and most detailed mod yet,

The Amber Shard

So, where to begin:
-> Custom graphics for pretty much everything with a graphic:
-> Customised ship hull (this is a recolour of an NPC ship however you never see it outside the secret sector)
-> Customised crew sprites, shield graphic, room interiors (except teleport, cause of the way the game is coded)
-> Gibs with proper layering etc
-> Unique weapons with specially made animations (yes, I'm getting better at this stuff)
-> Heavy, heavy focus on killing ship crews. Lots of boarding drones, weapons that lock down rooms and cause breaches to suffocate the crew without causing direct damage...
-> No oxygen system. Specially adapted version of the nanobot augment which heals crew at exactly the rate that they would take suffocation. Only works on crytals, others will still die unless stuck in the medbay.
There are no low-oxygen stripes (the floor will still turn pink however). Because this ship has no O2 system, I chose to remove them for visual pleasantness. Bear this in mind when attacking enemy ships.
The UI has also been updated to not give blinky low-oxygen warning, as this would be exceedingly annoying.
-> Custom pricing (and in some cases levels) for almost all ship upgrades.
-> Included tutorial pointing out some important details about no-oxygen system.

Important:
-> I designed this ship purely for myself as it was something I wanted to play for a challenge. I do not care whether or not it is balanced, I made it how I wanted it to be. I am only releasing it here because much work went into it and I know you folk are looking for more ships to try out which are different. This is certainly that.
What this means is, I do not care what you think about this ship being easy/hard/balanced/unbalanced. If you wish to leave feedback about bugs, please do this. Don't tell me you died in sector 2 cause a pirate murdered you horribly, I won't care.
-> I am not including any custom events or some other tweaks I've made for myself (and as a result the ship is a little harder than it should be. Deal with it.), so that this remains compatible with as many mods as possible.

Technical stuff:
-> All modified files are renamed to be specific to this ship, except for crystal crew sprites and lockdown effect, and oxygen stuff. Basically, load it last and it will be compatible with anything.
-> Replaces Kestrel-A, if you wish just rename the relevant line in blueprints file to have it replace something else instead.

Shouts:
-> Thanks go to frumple aka UM for being someone to bounce ideas off during the design of this ship. and to VoV for weapons feedback.
-> This ship uses modified versions of art and stuff from the stock FTL game.

If you were getting a black rectangle thing, try the updated download links below.

Download link: http://www.2shared.com/file/ZdZGs7j0/Shard.html
Alternate mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/?rxbj52yr1xfcrll

Playthroughs:
BrenTenkage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGTC57KRpy0
GingerDragon87: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXHc81qiXXE
VanguardOfValor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP1J-r3jMPI
Last edited by DryEagle on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
Agg Shell

Re: [SHIP] The Amber Shard

Postby Agg Shell » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:40 pm

omg i died on sector 2 b-cuz of a pirate!!
lol, jk. looks like a great ship. however i don't think my young mind is ready for downloading mods yet, as this ship seems cool :cry:
Are you a mantis? Do you lack ships to fight and Zoltans to chew? Look no further! Come to your nearest mantis warcamp in the Zoltan Homeworlds or Zoltan controled sector and ask for a free brochure about how to farm the Zoltan! Results may very.
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:30 pm

Man you are gfetting good at this, how are you able to get these out so quickly, with sweet looks, sweet weapons, and still have original ideas and so on. Seriously well done (and yes I am going to play this later)
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
EchoesofOld

Postby EchoesofOld » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:25 pm

This looks pretty sweet, Dry, gonna try it out asap
The Rebel Flagship: The only ship to make the DemonStar look like a pansy.

Be ye wary of the ship with the demon airlock...
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:50 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGTC57KR ... e=youtu.be

Here ya go, another Bren Tenkage Lets play
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:28 pm

Shame the 480p doesn't really show off the weapon animations, I spent ages getting those to work properly. Especially the missile launcher that (20 minutes into the video atm) doesn't even get used once :(
As always though, thanks for showing off my ship ;)
The fact that you rush through everything shows you play the game a lot but on the other hand, the little details are worth noticing since they're about all that's left to tweak... e.g. all the upgrade pricing etc ;)
ImageImageImageImage
EchoesofOld

Postby EchoesofOld » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:30 pm

DryEagle wrote:Shame the 480p doesn't really show off the weapon animations, I spent ages getting those to work properly. Especially the missile launcher that (20 minutes into the video atm) doesn't even get used once :(
As always though, thanks for showing off my ship ;)
The fact that you rush through everything shows you play the game a lot but on the other hand, the little details are worth noticing since they're about all that's left to tweak... e.g. all the upgrade pricing etc ;)

Yeah, I did notice that shields seemed a little pricey to me... :P Also, does this ship have any known compatibility issues?

DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:32 pm

If loaded last, it should be compatible with absolutely everything, unless you are using a mod which is meant to remove the systems it's using or something else equally bizarre. This is essentially just a ship.
Last edited by DryEagle on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
EchoesofOld

Postby EchoesofOld » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:33 pm

DryEagle wrote:If loaded last, it should be compatible with absolutely everything, unless you are using a mod which is meant to remove the systems it's using or something.

Alright. I was having compatibility issues with a few mods, but didnt know who to blame

Agg Shell

Postby Agg Shell » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:40 pm

oh god. i just thought about the slug event that disables medbay. dear sweet mantis.
Are you a mantis? Do you lack ships to fight and Zoltans to chew? Look no further! Come to your nearest mantis warcamp in the Zoltan Homeworlds or Zoltan controled sector and ask for a free brochure about how to farm the Zoltan! Results may very.