[SHIP] Battlestar Galactica

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Geekea

[SHIP] Battlestar Galactica

Postby Geekea » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:04 am

I've removed the original post after the "welcome" I had here.
I'm not against criticism, I'm just against crying fanboys.

From now on, you can find my mod here : http://www.geekea.fr/86-un-mod-galactica-pour-ftl
Last edited by Geekea on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
lemafish

Re: [SHIP] Battlestar Galactica

Postby lemafish » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:05 pm

THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH! ive been making one, but this one is amazing really well done.
Geekea

Postby Geekea » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:12 pm

lemafish wrote:THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH! ive been making one, but this one is amazing really well done.

Thank you :)
You're the first one to give a feedback, I'm really glad you like it !
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:31 pm

As a BSG fan, I have to say, I am very disappointed by this.

First and foremost, the Galactica is essentially a carrier more than a gunship. You haven't even included a drone system. This thing should be launching little Vipers all over the place!

As for the mod itself. I hope this is version 0.1 as this is a really incomplete and sloppy piece of work.
- You've linked it to the filenames for the engi cruiser. If someone wanted to play it in a different slot they'd have to rename a ton of things. Use unique names for your ships next time.
- Incorrectly sized rooms (will have incorrect no-oxygen striping).
- No description for the ship selection menu.
- Ship image for menus is still the Engi-B.
- No gibs (and not even a transparent gibs image to remove the ugly blackness either).
- No cloak graphic (you're using the same hull image).
- Missing interior room graphics.
- Hull graphic sticking out through shield.

I'm not even going to comment on the fact that it comes with stock starting weapons and no interesting game mechanics.
This is basically a case of "Oh look I got a ship image and stuck some rooms to roughly match the shape." when it could have been so, so much more.

You're just starting out, and this is your first attempt. That's fine. I get that.
But.
This is BSG.
One of the greatest [non-literary] sci-fi icons.
Half-arsed attempts will not be tolerated.
You should have tried harder.
Or at the least, gone for <<random spaceship>> instead of the Galactica.
I know full well I'm being very harsh here. This travesty, however, deserves it.
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:33 am

encouraging :|
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:25 am

agreed, thats kinda mean, Though I admit I would prefer some custom weapons as I'm sure the ship itself had some cool gear (never seen the show or movies)
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
Xerrol Nanoha

Postby Xerrol Nanoha » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:04 am

Great ship :) I have tons of fun with it!
The version I downloaded was missing the glow graphics for the engines/weapons room/ or flight control :( so they appear dark to me.
Otherwise, much fun to be had!
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:29 am

Well, even if i agree the ship is really in , we could say alpha state, DryEagle really threw a bad aproaching with his commentary, i hope i dont receive something similar with my very first mod or i will really need a lot of palms in my back to keep going lol.

But i must admit, i am not posting my firt mod yet since i am taking care of all details, and like DryEagle said, i didnt include very good gibs, but i almost included the same hull image broken in some pieces (it is not even a alpha gib work, but for now i just wanted to look not too bad lol).

About the mod, it is a good start, Geekea, but u need to improve and add a lot of things. Things that comes with time, patience and more experience in modding, so, like everybody else, u just need to keep the hard work.

I also agree that if u are making a mod focused on a tv show like Galactica, u should make the ship close enough acording with the capabilites of the ship in the show. There is no sense on making a carrier without vipers.. like the guy who did the mod of starcraft, he included the protoss carrier, and he included drones with it, as it should be, for example.

Or if u are making a supossed fast ship, u should give it more engine power, maby a ftl booster augment and so on. I mean, these are examples.

Wat DryEagle wanted to say is that it is not enough to pick a image of the ship and just make random rooms and so on, a lot more effort is needed for achieve a mod that wil fill the expectatives of a Galactica fan, or almost, when u play it, u feel something....

Anyways, keep it going, we are humans, and we learn by experience.
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:08 am

How do I download this?
mega.co.nz is asking for a decryption key.

Can someone mirror it?
Geekea

Postby Geekea » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:13 am

Sorry I removed the access to the file.
But I will share it again somewhere where people are less rude.

Please, is there a mod to erase or lock this topic ?