[SHIP] The Marauders

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
DauntlessK

Re: [SHIP][WIP] Marauders

Postby DauntlessK » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:25 pm

Nice looking ships... do they have engines and the engine glow or is that to come too? Don't think you mentioned that.
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:28 pm

Man I can not wait to lets play these ships
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:23 am

Springy wrote:"Magma Cannon - Melts things." That made me chuckle. I love the look of those new weapons and ships so far. Keep up the good work.

Thanks very much. :) The reason i'm not showing that one is that i want to keep a few things as surprises.
DauntlessK wrote:Nice looking ships... do they have engines and the engine glow or is that to come too? Don't think you mentioned that.

Of the originals, only Kestrel and Federation have those. I didn't plan on including them. I'll experiment and if i like the result i may include it, but the base images are pretty much done.
BrenTenkage wrote:Man I can not wait to lets play these ships

Thanks, i hope you will enjoy it.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:47 am

I'm sure I will enjoy them, let me know when they are ready....seriously am I like the biggest lets player on here, I've done a lets play for about every modded ship here LOL
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
VanguardOfValor

Postby VanguardOfValor » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:20 am

I really like the model for the Impact Cannon. Good luck with getting your sounds working, I'd imagine that will be a challenging side of things, especially if you have to also make the sounds from scratch.

BrenTenkage wrote:I'm sure I will enjoy them, let me know when they are ready....seriously am I like the biggest lets player on here, I've done a lets play for about every modded ship here LOL

And the humblest, too! :P
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...
Damion227

Postby Damion227 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:55 am

BrenTenkage wrote:...seriously am I like the biggest lets player on here, I've done a lets play for about every modded ship here LOL

I read that and was all set to call you out for that, but then I remember seeing the images for these earlier and thinking "I can't wait to see Bren LP these."
You win this round. Great ships though, I can't wait to run one of these through Infinite Space and see how much fun I can have.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:01 am

Today i briefly toy with the idea of using table consoles instead of computer consoles. Might try one in the engine room, but the more recognisable console terminals work better overall.

Quick shoutout to DryEagle who beat me to the punch with using visual power conduits in his Amber Shard. I went for the more "meat and potatoes" look with a dark strip and some access panels. We both came to the idea independently of each other and it's a nice touch on custom ships. Gives rooms a more unified look or connects them visually.

Crystalline protrusions inside rooms are yet another idea that occured to both near simultaneously. He abandoned it because there's really only so much crap you can have in a room. I love tossing crap into rooms (could you tell) so i added a few but i had to tone it down a bit. Very hard to get them looking like crystals as opposed to lumps.

The interiors and glows for Magma have progressed nicely and generally i'm satisfied. It doesn't quite scream but it yells at least. Some of the consoles look like they've been vomited on, but the big computer screens will take your attention away from that. All rooms are stuffed to the gills with anything i could think to throw there. Another victory of quantity over quality, for Justice!

That leaves me with a dwindling to do list currently only demanding interiors for the IceLord which should go quicker, pesky as ever gibs, and last but not least some nice sound effects to accompany the weapons.

prev.png

prev2.png

Progress:
-gibs
-interiors (70%)
-weapons (95%)
-flavor text/descriptions (40%)
-drone
-sound effects (20%)

@VanguardOfValor

Glad you like the Impact Cannon. Personally the Dual Comet looks nicest to me and is more original. Impact is based on the Burst Laser 2 but with some reworking to make it stand out on it's own. Of course, the real test will be in action.
As for SFX, they're something i enjoy creating, but it requires full concentration. Code, sound and graphics are three separate worlds with no connections between them. I can only focus on one at a time, just the way i am.

@Damion227

Ow. Infinite Space may not be the ideal playground for these two. IceLord might stand a chance with it's fast ions, but with Magma you'd have very little chance of survival. It's got no power, only lvl1 cloak and is designed to start against regular Sector 1 opponents. Even then, it can be a struggle to keep it in one piece.
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:31 am

*grins* can't wait to play these ships, gonna be a lot of fun for me and I'm gonna get so many views (seriously my modded ships FTL lets plays get the most views LOL, better the ships, better the views)
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:45 am

This one is nearing the home stretch. Only some more gibs and noises and it will be ready for betatesting and final polish. There's things that still aren't quite right visually, but the bulk of the work is finished.

Here are the gibs done for the Magma so far. Not perfect but they'll do. (Just don't look too closely :mrgreen: )

magibs.png

Oh i've shitcanned the unique drone thing. It was supposed to be a helper for the Magma but it's not needed. It's possible to reach the last stand without it.

Still to do:
-gibs (40%)
-interiors - Done.
-weapons - Done.
-flavor text/descriptions - Done.
-sound effects (20%)
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:54 am

this is gonna be fun ^_^