The Last Stand

General discussion about the game.
fesk

The Last Stand

Postby fesk » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Hey guys, I played through FTL on normal mode, managed to be lucky enough to pick up an awesome crew and weapons, got to The Last Stand, kicked the Flagships' ass and then it jumped away. The game said it had to be closer to the home base. OK. So i decided to meander a bit, get repaired ect. and before the Flagship was even at the home system, it was on course for a system that was 2 systems away from it. During this I jumped to the system directly between the home base and the destination of the flagship. As soon as i arrive, i get a message that the flagship is too close to the home base and that the game is over. WTF?! Is this a bug or designed to purposely piss you off? I would've kicked it's ass like 2 times dude. So anyway, if someone could enlighten me as to what's going on with the flagship I'd be pretty appreciative. If it's a bug, no worries, it happens. If that's the game design, then that's fucking bullshit. Thanks!
Dralax

Re: The Last Stand

Postby Dralax » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:07 pm

So i decided to meander a bit, get repaired ect.

It's designed to prevent you from doing that too much.
DauntlessK

Postby DauntlessK » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:20 pm

Dralax wrote:
So i decided to meander a bit, get repaired ect.

It's designed to prevent you from doing that too much.

What he said. The entire game is designed that way. The boss mode is designed to take place across a few battles, and while you may think you can relax a bit, you don't have a lot of time to do so and you found out. Basically only time to repair if there's a repair system very closeby.
magicwalker

Postby magicwalker » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:22 pm

DauntlessK wrote:Basically only time to repair if there's a repair system very closeby.

Or if you have the Adv. Navigation augment (the systems will lose the Repair label, but if you jump back to them you will still get repaired.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:08 pm

It's not designed to prevent anything. Only to give you a time limit. You are notified how many jumps the flagship has to make before it gets to close to the base. You have to defeat the flagship inside that limit.

Unlike other sectors The Last Stand plays differently. It's not a place where you want to explore at all, unless you have extra time. Usually the Rebels will take beacons from you anyway. The only things of interest besides the Flagship are repair beacons and any last minute stores. Stores are rare but you're loaded at this point and dont need some gear anymore (LR Scanners for example).
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
fesk

Postby fesk » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:33 pm

Alright thanks guys, but how close does the boss have to be to the base in order for me to defeat him once and for all? Does he have to have only one jump left, in other words, be in the adjacent system?
fesk

Postby fesk » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:34 pm

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, MEANDERING! Thanks once again.
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:06 pm

fesk wrote:Alright thanks guys, but how close does the boss have to be to the base in order for me to defeat him once and for all? Does he have to have only one jump left, in other words, be in the adjacent system?

You can defeat the flagship anywhere. There's no requirement for it to be close to the base, just follow it once jumps and fight it again and again until it finally goes down for good.
Kenshkrix

Postby Kenshkrix » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:09 am

fesk wrote:Alright thanks guys, but how close does the boss have to be to the base in order for me to defeat him once and for all? Does he have to have only one jump left, in other words, be in the adjacent system?

You can make 9 jumps that are not you chasing the enemy flagship, then you lose, its just a timer, the flagship doesn't have to get to anywhere.
Wariamu

Postby Wariamu » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:55 pm

I know I'm reviving a relatively old post but I think that was a bit too confusing.

I either didn't read well enough or it's not clear enough when you get at the boss.

I think I misunderstood exactly the same way he did. The whole "stopping the flagship from reaching home base is really misleading. I mean why make up that whole home base thing if it doesn't even make sense since the flagship is just going to random beacons?

I remember that's what happened to me the first time I got to the last stand and I was so frustrated that I misunderstood and lost without even fighting the flagship. It's evne worse since unless you're a born FTL god, you have to start over several times to get there because you need to start by understanding the game well and then you have to restart a couple of times because of all the times when you're unlucky.

It would have been nice if there was had been a better explanation that is a bit more straightforward.

I'm not sure why this wasn't pointed out and solved in the beta??