[SHIP] StarBug - Red dwarf mining ship.

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Heathen

[SHIP] StarBug - Red dwarf mining ship.

Postby Heathen » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:17 pm

Name: StarBug
Mothership/craft: Red Dwarf
Size: Varies between crashes and realities
Speed: (depends), increased by 300% in Epideme.
Lasers: Yes, after being upgraded by simulants
Mines: Limpet mines, effective against all large squid type creatures
Defence shield: Nope
Type: Class 2, ship to surface transport
Cloaking Device: Yep, as used in Backwards
Crashed in: Backwards, Bodyswap, Marooned, Dimension Jump, Back to reality (kind of), Terrorform and Psirens.
Noteable facts:
StarBug is is one of the old class-2 ship-to-surface vessels - the very model, in fact, that was withdrawn due to major flight design flaws.
Has several stasis chambers.
Can work underwater.
Has tracks which can be used on unstable landscapes ie. Swamps.
Armed with Flares and Laser Cannons by the Simulants in Gunmen of the Apocylpse.

Statistics:

Hull Points: 30

Starting Power: 8

Crew:
1 Human (Barely) - Dave Lister
1 Ghost - Arnold J Rimmer
1 Engi - Kryten
1 Mantis - Cat

Systems:
Engines, Level 2
Medbay, Level 1
Cloaking, Level 2
Oxygen, Level 1
Weapons, Level 4

Sub-Systems:
Sensors, Level 1
Pilot, Level 1
Doors, Level 1

Augments:
Scrap Recovery Arm

Comes equipped with a Class 1 Burst Laser for mining purposes, along with 10 Flares which have been modified using the limpet mine technology so they can be teleported aboard enemy (or your own) ships. The included Scrap Recovery Arm enables you to collect as many mining minerals as is possible.

DOWNLOAD: http://www.filefactory.com/file/g51syl1 ... arbug1_ftl
MIRROR: http://www.mediafire.com/?1b0n0bzs1d2zy0c

Installation: Use GMM to install, It will replace the Stealth B variant.

Finally, I'd like to add that I've playtested this ship a few times and beaten the game with it on normal. I got lucky in sector 7 and faced the final boss with 2 Burst Laser MK1 and a Glaive.

Bugs 'n' stuff:
*Restarting the game will change the Ghost crewmwmber to a human.
*Crewmembers have random names, you'll have to change them yourself. The only way I know to have preset names is to upload a save, but then you'll always have the same starting system. Besides, it only takes 1min to change the names.
Last edited by Heathen on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alvarin

Re: [SHIP] StarBug - Red dwarf mining ship.

Postby Alvarin » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:11 pm

Awesome idea! Will try it out tomorrow.
EDIT:
Scratch tomorrow, tried it now :)
The names are not saved, need to rename manually :(
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:48 pm

Care to upload some mirrors? I will not unblock filefactory.

Speedy share and mediafire are decent hosts. For now at least.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Heathen

Postby Heathen » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:54 am

Mediafire link added, just for you:)

As I'm awful in photoshop, if anyone fancies editing the hull image, here it is.
Alvarin

Postby Alvarin » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:31 pm

Another thing - Cat is probably not so much "Mantis" as "Zoltan" - energetic and fragile. Plus neon-green fits him so much better. I don't think it'll affect balancing much, you can just drop one energy bar or not bother - scrap recovery arm will get these 20 really quick anyhow.
Heathen

Postby Heathen » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:42 pm

Yeah I was struggling on what race to use for Cat, as Mantis is the only animalistic I went for that :P

Scrap Recovery Arm may be a little OP, if you can survive the first few sectors. Just completed the game again on normal, this time I took screenshots!

After our first jump ended horribly after warping to a nearby sun, we regrouped at base and fixed the old rustbucket up. We also had a game of pool.

Setting off for a second time our first few jumps went well, and we picked up Cats long lost brother Maxwell from a smeggy slave trader. In the second sector Kryten managed to bodge together another android and we found a strange glowing fellow hiding in the area we cleared out for our shiny new shield system.

Things went along smoothly, and a trader bought our flare bomb launcher. With the scrap we bought 2 Beam Weapons, which, along with the Ion weapon we found tore through many federation guards. We continued onwards until we reached the Rebel base, where we were sent to destroy the Federation super ship. By this time we had upgraded the old Bug something rotten, so we thought we were well prepared...

We were, after our final beam weapon blast tore explodinated their flagship, we went home. And had kippers for breakfast.
Evilnicko

Postby Evilnicko » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:52 am

Great!, this ship looks awesome, just a bit bright, use a darker shade of green? anyway, next can you add red dwarf itself?, pretty please :D ?!
Springy

Postby Springy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:30 pm

Evilnicko wrote:Great!, this ship looks awesome, just a bit bright, use a darker shade of green? anyway, next can you add red dwarf itself?, pretty please :D ?!

I agree with the above. Great to see someone's actually taken the time to create Star Bug. I absolutely LOVE Red Dwarf.
That doom player. My Doom speed demos: http://doomedsda.us/player435lmps.html
Youtube: D4V35PR1NG Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198050485606/
Metzelmax

Postby Metzelmax » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:00 am

I am not sure about the weaponry and equipment. I dont see why starbug should have a fire bomb. I would remove that one and give them a teleport at the start. I know Starbug doesnt have one normally, they gain access to one in like every second episode, so it would be ok.

That way you had a no shiled, basically no weapon, boarding ship. Would be fun I feel.

(but Ok, here speaks the guy that always plays the Crystalship B and calls it Red Dwarf)

Also they need the long range sensors back. I mean Kryten always spots things on the sensors that are lightyears away.
Here is the Stuff I made:
ImageImageImageImage
And stuff is always better than no stuff, right?
Vilci

Postby Vilci » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:02 pm

Wouldn't Rimmer be a Zoltan? I always figured they were basically the hardlight holograms of the FTL universe, only made of "energy" instead of light. Especially since their death animation looks like they're an oldschool TV being turned off.

Seriously though, this mod is fantastic, thank you.