Mouse hover over nodes shows info

General discussion about the game.
ben120

Mouse hover over nodes shows info

Postby ben120 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:27 pm

Watching Day[9] play this game I noticed that when he put his mouse over a node it would show what other nodes that node connected to, I haven't seen any augment device that gives what is it called? My Long Range Scanner will show what is at a node but not the paths beyond that.
SilverGekko

Re: Mouse hover over nodes shows info

Postby SilverGekko » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:55 pm

It's a setting in the options menu. ^^
ben120

Postby ben120 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:39 pm

Ah, thanks. Odd it is not on by default? Auto hard mode?
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:02 am

It was not present in the first releases, and was added later per popular demand. The devs themselves are not too fond of the option, and prefer the challenge and mystery of playing without it.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
ben120

Postby ben120 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:11 am

I would love to see people playing this with a certain set win percentage, where they would win x times out of ten consistently because I am baffled. I'm not suggesting that because I am baffled I am right that it seems too random I'm coming from a place of ignorance, is there videos of anyone doing this consistently?
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:39 am

ben120 wrote:Ah, thanks. Odd it is not on by default? Auto hard mode?

As boa13 mentioned, it was added in a later patch after being requested. It is an optional feature, so it's off by default.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Mr_Crac

Postby Mr_Crac » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:27 am

boa13 wrote:It was not present in the first releases, and was added later per popular demand. The devs themselves are not too fond of the option, and prefer the challenge and mystery of playing without it.

Wait a second. Was this not added as a fix to the problem that you could be flying into a "dead end", without any way of knowing?
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:54 am

Were it considered a fix, it would have been on by default. Flying into a dead-end is part of the initial game's ways of dying.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:06 pm

There are two dead ends. One occurs when you cannot reach the exit no matter what route you pick. This is a bug and should not happen. It almost never happens. 99.9999% of time, you can reach the exit.

The other dead end is when you cant jump to a nearby beacon directly but instead must trek back and find a different way to reach it. This usually means the Rebels will catch up with you so it can be deadly. The beacon path highlighting option removes this possibility and that's why it's optional and off by default.

There are absolute dead end beacons that you cannot reach at all, and they are also very rare. These are never Exit or Quest beacons though. If they are, it's a bug.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Mr_Crac

Postby Mr_Crac » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:22 am

UltraMantis wrote:There are absolute dead end beacons that you cannot reach at all, and they are also very rare. These are never Exit or Quest beacons though. If they are, it's a bug.

I would say that is always a bug. Since what purpose does a beacon serve that you cannot reach by any means? It's completely pointless. Also, it should not really be that hard to check for a beacon having no connection. That is a solved problem - graph theory in computer science lectures has to be good for something! ;-)