Ion bomb and why it shouldn't be

General discussion about the game.
xthform

Ion bomb and why it shouldn't be

Postby xthform » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:56 am

Is it just me or does the Ion bomb kind of signal the end of a run. I bought this game the moment I saw it on steam and have played it a fair bit since then, that being said I have a major issue with one weapon in this game. No matter how my run is going what ship or what weapons I currently have once I get the Ion bomb I just know I'm going to win. I've lost only 1 run that I've had an Ion bomb in and idk about anyone else but I really feel like this one particular weapon is just to good to have.
BKT

Re: Ion bomb and why it shouldn't be

Postby BKT » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:49 am

It doesn't ignite fire...

Fire = Fun :twisted:
No Fire = No Fun :evil:

... Seriously though, it's a good weapon, but I'm not a fan of it; a bomb that can't damage the crew? No thanks... :?
xthform

Postby xthform » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:18 am

Killing off crew is the secondary winning condition to destroying a ship. 4 ion damage to shield that you can't avoid aside from a lucky dodge is just to strong it almost assures your victory given the fact you aren't a total retard.
Mr_Crac

Postby Mr_Crac » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:22 am

Apparently not very many people seem to agree that it is a real issue.
CrashSanders

Postby CrashSanders » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:26 pm

Ion Bomb is the very good weapon. Without it, my Engi Cruiser build would be unfinished.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:12 pm

An ace weapon.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
fylth

Postby fylth » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:43 pm

Especially good in conjunction with the Anti-bio Beam or the Fire Beam
breadsmith

Postby breadsmith » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:49 am

No one is saying the Ion bomb is bad. I believe what the OP is saying is that it is too good. I sort of see his point. With just an Ion Bomb and a Burst Mk. II, you can beat the boss given enough missiles and time.
BKT

Postby BKT » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:12 am

The same could be said with Ion Mk2 ... And it doesn't require missile.

The only thing good about it is its low power use, which IS good, especially when you're still struggling for scraps to upgrade the weapon system and power; indeed, it was one of my 'must buy' weapon in my younger day and my first win at normal was largely because of Ion Bomb, 2 of them, in fact... But as I getting better at the game, power becoming less of an issue and I prefer the Ion MK2 instead because it offered more flexibility, fire faster (my favorite trait of any gun), has more room for errors, and doesn't require missile to fire.

That said, I don't think it's too good; it's a good weapon, but not a game breaker IMO, which is the same as with many other good weapon. The fact that people who do not like it that much exists (me, at least) is a good evidence for this. It's fine as is IMO.
mrguy888

Postby mrguy888 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:35 pm

BKT wrote:The only thing good about it is its low power use, which IS good, especially when you're still struggling for scraps to upgrade the weapon system and power; indeed, it was one of my 'must buy' weapon in my younger day and my first win at normal was largely because of Ion Bomb, 2 of them, in fact... But as I getting better at the game, power becoming less of an issue and I prefer the Ion MK2 instead because it offered more flexibility, fire faster (my favorite trait of any gun), has more room for errors, and doesn't require missile to fire.

I find that low power usage is always very good because you cap at 8 points. Having 7 points worth of other weapons vs 5 points is a big deal even if you have all the scrap in the world. To be honest, I would not choose between the two, I would probably take both so which one is better is a pointless discussion for me.