[Modding]Creating your own weapons

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Nezied

Re: [Modding]Creating your own weapons

Postby Nezied » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:57 pm

The problem seem to be the packing/unpacking tool I was useing, tried out this tool instead viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1920 and it worked like a charm..
Frankenstein

Postby Frankenstein » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:01 pm

Wow, this was a very useful guide. Thank you so much! I'll be able to mod just about anything in the game now! :D

Now if only I can get my custom sector to work...
deathlyangel47

Postby deathlyangel47 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:10 am

Hello all! I've just created this account just to post this, but I'll get to the point. When I try to pack the files using a .bat file (as I have Windows Vista) it fails to do anything, and it closes before I can do anything. I was wondering if anyone knows an easy-to-install (because I'm new to modding) tool that will allow me to pack and unpack the FTL files. Thanks in advance.
DCChuckles

Postby DCChuckles » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:41 am

So to add a weapon to a mod, do you just place all edited files into a .zip folder, or what? Someone please respond.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:10 am

DCChuckles wrote:So to add a weapon to a mod, do you just place all edited files into a .zip folder, or what? Someone please respond.

The tutorial's a little dated - this is before GMM was implemented as the standard.
In the case of distributable mods, you save all your changes to a separate file and label it with an "append" suffix.
For example, instead of copying the weapon blueprint in blueprints.xml, you create a new file and save it as blueprints.xml.append, with the new weapon code. The ".ftl" files are simply renamed .zip folders, so you've got that much right.
The structure should look something like this:
    MyWeaponMod.FTL
  • data\
  • >\animations.xml.append
  • >\blueprints.xml.append
  • img\
  • >\weapons\
  • >\>\my_weapon.png

Hopefully that's a little clearer?
deathlyangel47

Postby deathlyangel47 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:23 am

Kieve wrote:
DCChuckles wrote:So to add a weapon to a mod, do you just place all edited files into a .zip folder, or what? Someone please respond.

The tutorial's a little dated - this is before GMM was implemented as the standard.
In the case of distributable mods, you save all your changes to a separate file and label it with an "append" suffix.
For example, instead of copying the weapon blueprint in blueprints.xml, you create a new file and save it as blueprints.xml.append, with the new weapon code. The ".ftl" files are simply renamed .zip folders, so you've got that much right.
    MyWeaponMod.FTL
  • data\
  • img\
  • >\weapons\
  • >\>\my_weapon.png

Oh, I didn't realize this was outdated. Thanks for that!
DCChuckles

Postby DCChuckles » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:32 am

Kieve wrote:

MyWeaponMod.FTL
  • data\
  • img\
  • >\weapons\
  • >\>\my_weapon.png

That's great, thanks :)
Snappey654

Postby Snappey654 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:13 am

I tried 10 times to add my weapon but It never worked. I followed everything you wrote and It doesnt work. :cry:
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:22 pm

Bringing back this thread for a quick question - is anyone aware what the <locked> tag means?

Example:

Code: Select all

<weaponBlueprint name="BOMB_FIRE">
   <type>BOMB</type>
   <title>Fire Bomb</title>
   <short>Fire B.</short>
   <locked>1</locked>

My assumption right now is that it prevents the weapon from appearing in stores, but I'd like to know if anyone out there has proof that this is true.
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:41 am

The Fire Bomb is available in stores. Have you tried reversing all the flags to see what happens?

Could it mean it's locked out of the first few sectors on easy mode?
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.