[SUGGESTION] How to fix the Vortex.

General discussion about the game.
Hustle Butt

[SUGGESTION] How to fix the Vortex.

Postby Hustle Butt » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:17 pm

I've done a lot of thinking about the Vortex, and all the problems with it seem to boil down to one thing.

This ship is a bit of a gimmick. It plays with the idea of having a robotic crew, however, with the way drones work as of yet, this is a pretty useless gimmick.

I've done a LOT of thinking about the Vortex, and I believe its problems could be resolved by adding a new drone to the game and using two or three of them for starting drones.

This drone would be the robotic counterpart to a crew member. (Think Data.)

Requires 2 power to function. Must be given instructions by the player.
+ Can man systems.
+ Can work/repair in oxygenless rooms.
+ Can be rebuilt if destroyed.
- Slower move speed.
- Lower health.
- Can NOT gain experience.

These drones would perform all the basic tasks that regular crew members would do. I believe this would be balenced because of their not being able to level up, but they can be replaced just like any other drone. This would merit a much different style of play when it comes to managing crew actions.
Agent_L

Re: [SUGGESTION] How to fix the Vortex.

Postby Agent_L » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:27 pm

Hustle Butt wrote:+ Can work/repair in oxygenless rooms.
- Slower move speed.
- Lower health.

That's already done with system repair drone.

And you're reposting.

Vortex is fine - if you can handle it.
You start with 30+15 +15+25 = 85 scrap worth of poor drones and augments. Just get shields lvl4 after first battle and 1-2 crewmembers in first shop.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
Strill

Postby Strill » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:15 am

Agent_L wrote:
Hustle Butt wrote:+ Can work/repair in oxygenless rooms.
- Slower move speed.
- Lower health.

That's already done with system repair drone.

And you're reposting.

Vortex is fine - if you can handle it.
You start with 30+15 +15+25 = 85 scrap worth of poor drones and augments. Just get shields lvl4 after first battle and 1-2 crewmembers in first shop.
If the best thing to do with the initial loadout is throw it away and buy something better, then that sounds like a poorly designed loadout to me.
GoldenShadowGS

Postby GoldenShadowGS » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:38 pm

upgrade your doors and vent the entire ship. When you get boarded, turn off the oxygen and close all the doors and leave your pilot in the cockpit. As long as they don't teleport into the cockpit, you should be fine.
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:03 pm

I kinda like the Vortex as is. It forces you to play entirely differently, which is what I hoped each layout would do. I agree it's much harder to use than most ships though.

Regardless, if I have a chance to balance-test soon I was thinking of making repair drones use only 1 power. I kinda like the idea that your drone system could be hit so you have to power up the drone to fix it before you can use your more useful ones.
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
Cactuschef

Postby Cactuschef » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:38 pm

I was thinking of making repair drones use only 1 power.

I support this. also possibly increasing their base movement and repair speed. cause right now there really isn't much of a reason to use them, except simply not having a real crewmember you can use. and combining the cost of the drone, the part, the energy bar, and the system, a crewmember is a fraction of the cost.

it'd also be nice to be able to move them to a particular room and have them use -that- as their home base (and return to drone control to heal when needed), because on alot of ships drone control is in such a bad place that by the time the drone gets to where repairs are needed the real crewmember in that room has already finished fixing it.
Todes_Schnitzel

Postby Todes_Schnitzel » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:39 pm

Vortex can get 4 drone slots and a new augmentation maybe called "Drone-control-processor",it make that you can control drone . a Sensors wouldn´t be worse :D
Last edited by Todes_Schnitzel on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY ENGLISH IS TERRIBLYHELL YEAH!
This text is presented by Google translate , my english skill and german. :D
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:15 pm

Strill wrote:If the best thing to do with the initial loadout is throw it away and buy something better, then that sounds like a poorly designed loadout to me.
It's not the best thing to do, it's just a thing to make it work your way. Because you've already said you can't play it the Vortex way.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
kiowa

Postby kiowa » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:43 pm

Replacing heavy ion with ion blast 1 would help a lot. With the vortex your weapon need 13 seconds to charge, and both projectiles must both hit to do any damage, which is ridiculous for a ship that relies solely on weapons.
EdenNov

Postby EdenNov » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:46 am

Another thing to do about the vortex could be to get rid of the med-bay (if your one crew member is hurt, it won't save you anyway, and if you're later in the game, you could buy one in a shop) and replace it with something better, like weapons, cloaking etc..
It boggles my mind that this ship has a med-bay and slug B doesn't...