Maybe not a bug, but shouldn't really happen

General discussion about the game.
bturnip

Maybe not a bug, but shouldn't really happen

Postby bturnip » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:36 pm

I am not calling this a bug, just bad luck, but it left me stuck without any way to end the game without committing suicide, which should not happen from a game play perspective.

I was playing the Rock ship (layout A). Running out of fuel, I jump to a beacon with a possible ship detected, hoping to board and beat the other guy senseless and take their fuel. Ruh-roh. It is an automated ship. As it also turns out, I don't have any means of defeating the ship, because I haven't been able to secure a non-missle weapon.

The round ends up stuck in a loop- the automated ship can't get past my shields, and I can't destroy the enemy. I can beam over and destroy some of their systems. My Rock warriors have just enough time to destroy a system before their air runs critically low and I need to beam them back. I don't have any missles to damage the automated ship's hull, but I don't have any fuel to jump out. The game can not progress.
Khrowe

Re: Maybe not a bug, but shouldn't really happen

Postby Khrowe » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:53 pm

You had the win scenario. Keep bashing sytems with your rock dudes until there are none left to destroy. Let the ship auto repair, and repeat until there is only one hull point left. At which point you beam everyone home and only beam one crew member over to bash one final system to destroy the ship. Ship blows up, you lose a crew member, and you then "wait" for fuel (or doom).

Sucks to lose a crew member, but that is not a no win situation. Just a long and boring one with a casualty. Ive done it, and subsequently died soon after. It isnt easy with missile weapons only.
bturnip

Postby bturnip » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:56 pm

That wasn't actually my experience. I would beam over and break their systems, but it wasn't causing any hull damage. The AI would slowly repair the systems, while I cycled my boarders into the med bay and back to the teleporters.
Bottlerocket

Postby Bottlerocket » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:14 pm

I got stuck in the same situation - only without the teleporter, so I couldn't even attack their systems.

Jus out of interest - Did you encounter the drone after getting the 'You have no fuel but your impulse engines let you explore the system' message? That's what happened to me.

I get that this game its balanced on a knife edge between success and failure, but being given the chance to maybe find something, only to get stuck in stalemate with suicide the only way out did seems like it could do with a rethink.
xdiesp

Postby xdiesp » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:15 pm

Why aren't you inflicting hull damage when you kill systems red?
icepick

Postby icepick » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:32 pm

It's just bad luck. I am not sure if there's even a way to fix this...
StarWarsOZ

Postby StarWarsOZ » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:46 am

First rule in FTL, make sure you have weapons, even if u r going all out boarding. Because if u come across an AI ship or a zolten shielded ship, then u basicly can't do much. :(

Especially with the rock crusier, make sure you get a beam or laser weapon soon so you dont have to keep using missiles.
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
Bill Watterson
thereaverofdarkness

Postby thereaverofdarkness » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:29 am

I agree that it might have been a no-win scenario. While you can damage the automated ship's hull (you have to break a system completely, making it turn red), it usually takes two crewmembers to knock out one unit of health on a system before they suffocate. If you damage the bar partially and teleport out, it'll return to full health as soon as they stop hitting it. And you can's just teleport one out because all of the rooms are isolated. (Don't try to teleport four mantises into a 2x1 room on an automated ship, you WILL lose two of them!) This means you must lose two crewmembers to destroy the drone, and if you only have two then you can't win. Also, some drone ships don't repair. I actually went through several games not realizing they do repair, and both times I've tried to kill one through boarding parties I had all systems red and nothing was repairing, so I've yet to destroy one from the inside.

I take it you can't use the wait option when in battle?
Néocray

Postby Néocray » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:20 pm

Hey there.
Sorry about this piece of archeology, but I'm facing the same no-win scenario.
Rock ship, sector 2, not been able to buy the teleport bay, neither to buy or find another no-missile weapon than the anti-bio beam. I'm running out of missiles AND fuel AND fighting an AI opponent that can't beat me.
I can't believe I have to kill all my crew because there is no way to go through that...
magicwalker

Postby magicwalker » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:53 pm

Stop running out of fuel.