Honestly, why is getting new ships so arbitrarily long

General discussion about the game.
AzuredreamsXT

Honestly, why is getting new ships so arbitrarily long

Postby AzuredreamsXT » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:03 am

Was it really necessary to pad out the gameplay content by making us jump through hoops to get new ships? Anyone else feel its far too random and just annoying?
canman

Re: Honestly, why is getting new ships so arbitrarily long

Postby canman » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:06 am

Yep - I personally would have preferred the unlocks being tied to beating the game with certain ships. Right now, beating the game with any of the ships is an exercise left to the reader. I'd love some incentive to actually beat the game on normal with some of the tough ship layouts (stealth B, for example).
StarWarsOZ

Postby StarWarsOZ » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:53 am

I don't think unlocking the ships is that hard, apart from the crystal crusier, which is IMPOSSIBLE :evil:

I prefer the way it is set out now, because if all it took was beating the game with different ships it would be much eaiser, and it would take some of the challange out of it.

But it would be good to have some incentive to beat the boss with different ships, although some of them just can't be done. (engi B? :x )
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
Bill Watterson
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:06 pm

StarWarsOZ wrote:But it would be good to have some incentive to beat the boss with different ships, although some of them just can't be done. (engi B? :x )

It can be done, just not as easily as with other ships. (I did twice after seeing people on the forums say that it was too hard, lol)
Zaffre

Postby Zaffre » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:39 pm

I wouldn't say it's irritating; I only have thirteen hours on the game as of now. About half of those have been spent modding and testing mods, and the only ship I haven't unlocked is the Crystal Cruiser. I don't have all of the Type B layouts, however.
hborrgg

Postby hborrgg » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:55 pm

I like the achievements you can actually work towards, such as beating the boss or getting to sector 5 in the zoltan ship reactor upgrades. What I can't stand is wandering around until the right random event shows up.
Mikel_S

Postby Mikel_S » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:16 pm

I like the fact that new ships aren't forced on you, and that there's actually a lot of work/effort required for some. My first second ship was the Engi cruiser, which I got before I even knew the exact bits of how to get it. Same with the Zoltan ship, I just ran into an event, answered it differently, and got a ship. Happy surprises. I am a little frustrated at the Crystal Cruiser, but it's just a matter of time before I find a universe with the right setup.
Aerowind

Postby Aerowind » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:39 pm

That's because the only requirement for the Engi cruiser is getting to the 5th sector :P

Anyways, I never really had any problems with it. I unlocked the stealth cruiser early on (though I restarted on my better computer and didn't pull my save over) and just enjoyed myself. I didn't really look up how to unlock anything, I just went "Okay, Zoltan ship. Let's go to the Zoltan homeworld a few times" and that pretty much got me everything. The only ship I'm missing now is the Rock one, but I never felt that one was arbitrarily hard to find.
icepick

Postby icepick » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:37 pm

AzuredreamsXT wrote:Was it really necessary to pad out the gameplay content by making us jump through hoops to get new ships? Anyone else feel its far too random and just annoying?

No. When I had a problem getting the mantis I dropped down to easy, but I've never not been able to unlock the ship I wanted in what I felt was a reasonable amount of time.

Granted I had some spoilers here and there to make it a BIT easier. I do think the events are common enough and heavy-handed hint-wise enough.
SushaBrancaleone

Postby SushaBrancaleone » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:39 pm

lets put it this way.

i've unlkocked all ships a week ago or more.
I now have all B modes. I hadn't attempted a couple for a while. Once you have unlocked all content, your goals will be focused on beating the game, easy & normal, and then on highscore.

Most ships are quite easy to come across, while the only 2 ships that need some farming are the crystal and the one you achieve by beating the boss...

In hindsight, it would be more entertaining to farm for highscore from start and use whatever ships you unlock on the way gradually.

i suppose its a bit like wishing that you were.. a grown up? when ure a grown up you wish u were a kid again?

discovering is surely more fun than "having discovered".