Mantis Warship?

General discussion about the game.
robochibi

Mantis Warship?

Postby robochibi » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:12 pm

Im almost ready to quit this game, I had a perfect setup once again and just when im about to enter the final sector I encounter a ship that I never faced before. Some kind of Mantis Warship that happen to beam aboard 4 mantis. only two of my crewmembers are combat ready and theres no possible way they could have taken on 4 fully loaded mantis. Not to mention I kept getting bombarded by the ship itself. I had to make an emergency jump just to try and deal with the mantis boarding party. I tried to choke them out just to lower their health down but after all this I didnt manage to take out a single one... WTF, was this just me or was this truly a no-win scenario? has anyone managed to destroy this thng? Is this what I have to kill to unlock the mantis ship?
Tyrisbel

Re: Mantis Warship?

Postby Tyrisbel » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:18 pm

I don't think is the mantis unlock, sounds like a heavy boarding scenario. My advice? always upgrade your doors early on, It prevents fires as well as delay intruders. Then huddle all your non combat crew in the medbay while you vent the ship and they suffocate, you can always repair what they break...
robochibi

Postby robochibi » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:46 pm

Tyrisbel wrote:I don't think is the mantis unlock, sounds like a heavy boarding scenario. My advice? always upgrade your doors early on, It prevents fires as well as delay intruders. Then huddle all your non combat crew in the medbay while you vent the ship and they suffocate, you can always repair what they break...

I wish it was that easy, this thing was epic.. much harder than the final boss imo
StarWarsOZ

Postby StarWarsOZ » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:55 pm

There are many ships out there that are way harder than the boss, especially in sector 7 and 8.
You just got unlucky, like many of us playing this great game.
Sometimes you can have a great playthrough, and other times it just screws u over.

For example, I once ran into a ship with level 4 shields, 2 Mk2 burst lasers and a glave beam.
I got owned within the space of 2 volleys. :|

But that is part of the fun, and it would be very boring without those challanges every once in a while.
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
Bill Watterson
Derakon

Postby Derakon » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:29 pm

That encounter is survivable, but it's very nasty. Upgraded doors help, as does an upgraded medbay. What I did last time I had that was to send my crew against them, even the non-combat-ready ones, but to cycle them out to the medbay whenever they got low on health, and to send fresh crew in to replace them. You'll slowly wear down the enemy, and by keeping them fighting, you reduce the damage your systems take. It requires a ton of micro, especially since you're fighting the enemy ship at the same time, but the last time I did that encounter my crew was (I kid you not) 5 Zoltan, an Engi, a human, and a Mantis, and I managed.

Now, the boarding-based encounters that really piss me off are when you have to deal with boarders while in a solar flare system. The fires caused by flares are a major problem that needs immediate attention, but you can't spare that attention so long as the boarders are around. And you can't pull your pilot to the medbay unless you want to stop charging your FTL jump -- and good luck if the fires hit your cockpit, since they'll instantly send it to red!
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:31 pm

Derakon wrote:and good luck if the fires hit your cockpit, since they'll instantly send it to red!
Have you tried upgrading the cockpit?
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
hborrgg

Postby hborrgg » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:10 pm

That one is pretty tricky. In theory, because you can heal and they can't, almost any boarding event can be won via medibay cycling. But in practice while you are also under attack from an enemy ship, generally all you can do is try to slow them down until you've won the battle or at least downed their weapons.
Kenshkrix

Postby Kenshkrix » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:47 pm

I'm fortunate in that I usually have some bombs, so I fire them at myself to weaken the boarders, makes it possible for zoltans to kill mantis, if you time it right.
UberFubarius

Postby UberFubarius » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:41 pm

May I suggest one alternative?
Move your combat to the medbay (and if you have more than three crew, which should be normal, situate them near medbay).
Vent the rest of the ship, all of them.
This forces the mantis to fight either in or near your medbay.
Of course, this tactic is more difficult when your bridge is far from medbay.
StarWarsOZ

Postby StarWarsOZ » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:41 am

UberFubarius wrote:May I suggest one alternative?
Move your combat to the medbay (and if you have more than three crew, which should be normal, situate them near medbay).
Vent the rest of the ship, all of them.
This forces the mantis to fight either in or near your medbay.
Of course, this tactic is more difficult when your bridge is far from medbay.

I wouldn't recomend this tatic if u r under attack, because if u vent your whole ship, and then the other ship takes out your doors or O2, then u r basicly screwed.
But it is a great tatic when u have the boarders without any ship, because u basicly can't lose. 8-)
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
Bill Watterson