Intruders wont surrender bug

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
trfrace

Intruders wont surrender bug

Postby trfrace » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:39 am

I just died in my game. I was against a rock spaceship who had sent 3 rocks over. I knew that they did teleport back if the ships health got low. When I got it low, I was prompted with the surrender or finish them option. I chose the surrender option but the intruders kept being hostile.
Gambler

Re: Intruders wont surrender bug

Postby Gambler » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:20 pm

I want to bump this. I've been in a similar situation. The enemy ship surrendered, but the teleported crew onboard of my ship kept attacking systems. I had to kill them. Please add some logic that teleports attackers back when their ship surrenders.
McSqueeb

Postby McSqueeb » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:00 pm

I wanted to comment and say that I just died because of this as well.

Fighting a ship and had 4 baddies teleport on board. Their defeat was imminent, but I had also taken much damage and they begged for surrender. Me being the kind Captain I am accepted, however their intruding crew continued to attack my systems and crew preventing me from repairing my ship and... well... we mourne their loss.
cosmin76

Postby cosmin76 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:33 pm

Well not the same behavior but similar. One enemy teleported on my ship and after i destroy the enemy ship the teleported enemy just stayed there forever. I carry him several minutes..:) that was fun ... probably he can stay there till the end of the game..:)) I kill him eventually but just it is not logic to behave like this ...
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:24 pm

This has come up before - I don't recall seeing any specific responses from the developers one way or another, but I think this is intended behavior, in that "enemy boarders" are being treated similar to, say, hull breaches or fires - jumping away, killing the enemy, surrendering, etc don't stop those environmental hazards, and nor do any of those events stop boarders.

(Whether that "makes sense" or not isn't quite the same as asking whether it's "intended" or not - it might have been left in for intentional difficulty reasons, or because it was minor and they didn't care enough to make the (not necessarily insignificant) change. Or if could be a mere oversight and an actual bug. Not sure which, really.)
boa13

Postby boa13 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:51 pm

It's just that the boarders don't have radiocoms, and have not been informed that their ship is lost. Why would they stop fighting? :mrgreen:

It's a bit like those Japanese soldiers stranded on isolated islands, who kept fighting for World War II sometimes decades after it had ended.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
jones

Postby jones » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:44 pm

It would feel let down if I surrendered a ship and didn't get to kill the enemy boarding party, the fighting EXP is nice.

When you surrender a ship, there is no longer any interactivity between you and the enemy ship. If they could teleport back, then why couldn't you board them post battle... it just isn't a part of the game.

In the case that you only have one crew, you can always try to suffocate them out or hunker down in your medbay.
McSqueeb

Postby McSqueeb » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:41 pm

My feeling is split, in the one hand you have intruders from a ship that has been defeated, and the other is intruders from a ship that surrendered. I feel that if the ship surrenders to your overwhelming awesome then they should teleport back to the original ship, or have one of them captured and made part of my crew as reparation for not killing them all. When their ship is destroyed then they can either all surrender and have one join crew (because having extra 3 or 4 crew straight away wouldn't be balanced), or continue to fight to avenge their fallen comrades/ship.

That's just how I thought/expected it to work in relation to the other random and choice dependant encounters.
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:03 pm

jones wrote:It would feel let down if I surrendered a ship and didn't get to kill the enemy boarding party, the fighting EXP is nice.

When you surrender a ship, there is no longer any interactivity between you and the enemy ship. If they could teleport back, then why couldn't you board them post battle... it just isn't a part of the game.

In the case that you only have one crew, you can always try to suffocate them out or hunker down in your medbay.

To be fair, if you have boarders already on board when they surrender and you accept it, you're still able to move them around the enemy ship and eventually teleport them back. They simply can't fight the enemy crew.
DD19

Postby DD19 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:17 am

There should be a mechanic in the game that operates as such:

if borders on your ship don't teleport before their ship being destroyed they should either continue to fight you or possibly offer to join your crew.

A little disappointing in my opinion that you can only kill them when this happens rather than have them join your crew (even though they don't fight back after being defeated.)