Engis and Oxygen

General discussion about the game.
breadsmith

Re: Engis and Oxygen

Postby breadsmith » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:36 pm

What about Zoltans? They look to be made of pure energy, yet they breathe too.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:19 pm

Mr. Mister wrote:I love the cooling fans explanation, even if it doesn't make that much sense because they could use CO2 too to refrigerate themselves.

How would they expel the heat efficiently in both atmospheres and in vacuum? (wasn't the premise that they couldn't expel the heat from any refriggeration/heat exchange system?)

why did I mention watercooling systems in the first post if I already made a premise that rejected them? :roll:
Aerowind

Postby Aerowind » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:26 pm

Gorlom wrote:
Mr. Mister wrote:I love the cooling fans explanation, even if it doesn't make that much sense because they could use CO2 too to refrigerate themselves.

How would they expel the heat efficiently in both atmospheres and in vacuum? (wasn't the premise that they couldn't expel the heat from any refriggeration/heat exchange system?)

why did I mention watercooling systems in the first post if I already made a premise that rejected them? :roll:

I think he's excluding the idea for vacuum now. I believe what he was pushing at is that if it was simply a matter of cooling, it wouldn't matter whether it was oxygen or some other type of air, hence if just your O2 system got knocked offline, it wouldn't really matter. That's why he says the cooling explanation doesn't make sense.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:37 pm

ah you mean when there's no breach or open airlock? I assumed that without air circulation the rooms that still has atmosphere would be turned into saunas and heat up to dangerous levels. I mean if you heat exchange into a closed system that system is going to become hotter and hotter over time. ;)

I thought he was talking about dry ice since he mentioned refrigeration.
GDK

Postby GDK » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:42 pm

A race with immunity to asphyxion would be OP.
ApSciMorgs

Postby ApSciMorgs » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:41 am

GDK wrote:A race with immunity to asphyxiation would be OP.

I was kind of meaning in-universe reasons, not gameplay-wise. I think we were all thinking that, too.
May the great and holy Random Number God shower upon you gifts of Weapon Pre-Igniters and Burst Laser MkIIs.
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:41 am

hmm, because rooms go red without O2 system in the very same way as with opened airlocks - we can assume that the ship isn't really fully airtight and is constantly venting atmosphere at a small rate. Generator just keeps refilling the atmosphere at higher rate than hull can lose.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
Law

Postby Law » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:54 am

Expanding on the original post, I'm wondering why the Engi (and all the other types of crew) aren't vulnerable to hyperoxia, considering that they're exposed to nearly 100% oxygen for the duration they're on a ship...

Not to mention that an oxygen rich environment is bound to be begging for fires to happen.
Forum mods, for your convenience!
ApSciMorgs

Postby ApSciMorgs » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:03 am

Law wrote:Expanding on the original post, I'm wondering why the Engi (and all the other types of crew) aren't vulnerable to hyperoxia, considering that they're exposed to nearly 100% oxygen for the duration they're on a ship...

Not to mention that an oxygen rich environment is bound to be begging for fires to happen.

Maybe the percentage is the oxygen levels required to live?
May the great and holy Random Number God shower upon you gifts of Weapon Pre-Igniters and Burst Laser MkIIs.
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:44 pm

Law wrote:Expanding on the original post, I'm wondering why the Engi (and all the other types of crew) aren't vulnerable to hyperoxia, considering that they're exposed to nearly 100% oxygen for the duration they're on a ship...

Noone said the oxygen counter shows total amount of oxygen in the air - it's more reasonable for it to show the percentage of nominal level of oxygen.
So to have pure oxygen atmosphere on board, indicator would have to dial about 500% of nominal level.

(as a side note - pure oxygen atmosphere is easily tolerable by humans - as long as the atmosphere pressure is reduced. For short periods of time, even normal-pressure pure oxygen is well tolerated, as was in case of Mercury, Gemini and Apollo 1.
OFC, that WAS an accident waiting to happen and it did happened: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_1#P ... atmosphere

http://web.archive.org/web/200712131221 ... asuits.htm
"US spacesuits have been pressurized at (...) 30% earth sea level pressure, but (...) the gas in the suit is 100 percent oxygen instead of 20 percent")
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!