Help! Game cannot be played.

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
robochibi

Help! Game cannot be played.

Postby robochibi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:25 pm

So I use my LCD TV as my PC monitor and when FTL was running in default windowed mode than I could not see the full screen so I messed with the resolution settings until I switched to one that will not show up on y screen ( a big "mode not supported" screen comes up) and I am now unable to switch the resolution back. I tried reinstalling the game but the default settings will not come back even after an uninstall so now Im completely unable to switch resolutions and the game is now unplayable. How do I switch the resolution back to default settings without actually doing it in-game?
ApSciMorgs

Re: Help! Game cannot be played.

Postby ApSciMorgs » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:31 pm

If you go into the folder where your FTLGame.exe file is located (for example, X:\Program Files\steam\steamapps\common\FTL Faster Than Light\ if you bought it from Steam on a Windows computer), you'll find a settings.ini file. If you open that, you'll find a few options for manually setting the resolution. Mess with those until you can play the game again.
May the great and holy Random Number God shower upon you gifts of Weapon Pre-Igniters and Burst Laser MkIIs.
robochibi

Postby robochibi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:38 pm

Could I alternatively just delete the ini file and reinstall the game to bring it back to default?
robochibi

Postby robochibi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:42 pm

I looked at the ini file and I have no idea how to alter it... there are too many numbers and the last time i booted the game I had to do a hard reset on my pc just to get out of it, could someone send me a pic of their default ini settings or better yet a copy of their ini file??
ApSciMorgs

Postby ApSciMorgs » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:45 pm

Code: Select all

fullscreen=0
music=100
sound=100
altpause=1
dialog_keys=0
showpaths=1
lowend=1
logging=1
ach_pop=1
vsync=0
framelimit=1

#Manual resolution choices - overrides anything in the options
#Set manual to 1 and then change the resolution
#Does not check if values are valid. Use with caution.
#If you do support GL_ARB_framebuffer_object, "stretched" will not function
manual=0
screen_x=0
screen_y=0
windowed=0
stretched=0

Here's mine.
May the great and holy Random Number God shower upon you gifts of Weapon Pre-Igniters and Burst Laser MkIIs.
robochibi

Postby robochibi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:46 pm

nm deleting the ini file worked, thanks for your help
ApSciMorgs

Postby ApSciMorgs » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:48 pm

No problem! Any time you need it...
robochibi

Postby robochibi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:55 pm

Ok So now the game window is so huge that I can barely see 1/4 of the screen, I cant even access the options. This is getting real frustrating Ive never had this problem with any other game before. What is the resolution that people are playing on over here?
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:16 am

Sorry about the problems. What is the native resolution for the LCD TV? If it's less than 1280x720, there's a chance it can't support FTL since (as according to our minimum system specs) it requires at least that as a minimum resolution. "Fullscreen - Stretch" might work for you, but I assume you're trying that and it's not working. Can you find "stdout.txt" in your FTL installation folder and print its contents here?

Quick tip: Deleting the settings.ini should always revert you back to windowed and does not require a game reinstall (FTL will automatically create a new one if one isn't found).
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
robochibi

Postby robochibi » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:06 am

This is a 40 inch TV btw so yes it can go much higher than 1280x760. I switched the resolution to 1280x1024 ( the LCD does not support 1280x760) and now the window is too small width-wise. it only takes up half the screen and i cant read the text. If i go to a fullscreen mode than the screen will go black and say the mode is not supported. I will print out the results momentarily...