[Suggestion] Option to leave out ship systems

General discussion about the game.
chanman

[Suggestion] Option to leave out ship systems

Postby chanman » Wed May 16, 2012 5:01 am

While reading the Marines thread and watching the more recent gameplay videos, I was struck by a thought - Could the option be provided when starting a new game to disable certain systems entirely from a game instance?

The Kestrel really only has three vital systems: Helm, Engines, and Oxygen.

Disabling Weapons might be a bit extreme unless every ship is built to replace the weapons system with an attack drone or teleporter.

Disabling the teleporter (and extra races) would bring us in line with the demo.

Disabling shields or the medbay would make combat an especially vicious affair for everyone.
Last edited by chanman on Sat May 19, 2012 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
soratidus999

Re: [Suggestion] Option to leave out ship systems

Postby soratidus999 » Fri May 18, 2012 12:24 pm

almost like a hardcore mode

no medbays..... god.... scary!
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Wed May 23, 2012 3:23 am

The different player ships will have different starting system configurations. For awhile we experimented with some of the more extreme options (no medbay for example), and it's just not particularly fun :(. No ship will start with every system, so the Kestrel will be very similar to the Kestrel you remember from the demo. But you might unlock a ship that will allow you to start with the teleporter. Any ship is still able to purchase a missing system if they find a store that offers it. I won't spoil any of the ships, but we do want to create variety and varying levels of challenge via the different starting set-ups.

I have attempted a game with only Engines, Piloting, and Oxygen. It does not go well. :-) You're lucky if you make it past just one enemy.

-Matt
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
chanman

Postby chanman » Wed May 23, 2012 8:05 am

True enough. I suppose I ask because I wondered if there would be a no-transporter option for those who don't want to deal with boarders :lol:
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Wed May 23, 2012 8:21 am

Oh! I'm sorry I did not understand your suggestion. You wanted the option to completely remove systems (or races) from the game. Interesting idea, but I think it's a little too ingrained *everywhere* with the enemy balance, event design, etc. that it wouldn't work very well. Something to think about though.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here