Slipstream Mod Manager v1.9.1 (2018-01-07)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
mr_easy_money

Re: Slipstream Mod Manager v1.9.1 (2018-01-07)

Postby mr_easy_money » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:45 am

Tentacular wrote:Hey, thanks a ton!

hey, no problem. if you have questions about literally anything related to modding, don't be afraid to ask :)
Tentacular wrote:Your mod definitely works, of course. And I think I found some clue as to why mine doesn't (though I can't quite make sense of it since both yours and my mod's structure looks exactly the same). Here's the error:

This mod doesn't append. It clobbers.

hmm, I'm not entirely sure. this warning comes up when you have files that don't append (note that not appending is fine sometimes, also sometimes unavoidable). but what doesn't make any sense to me is that, based on your pictures, the mod looks exactly the same, like no difference in file name (for example, blueprints.xml instead of blueprints.xml.append causes this, but that would cause some bigger errors so that's not the case), same mod structure (like I said, no innerPath problems)... yeah I'm not really sure to be honest.

can you upload your mod (to mediafire, dropbox, etc.), so I can take a look at it further? pictures are good and all, but the best way for me to diagnose problems is to look at the mod itself you created.
Tentacular

Postby Tentacular » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:57 am

mr_easy_money wrote:can you upload your mod (to mediafire, dropbox, etc.), so I can take a look at it further? pictures are good and all, but the best way for me to diagnose problems is to look at the mod itself you created.

Sure: https://www.mediafire.com/file/giagqa8lyws9o64/ships.rebalance.testing2.ftl/file

The file can be working to begin with (such as your original mod), but the problem seems to occur once I unzip it and rezip it, and rename to .ftl again.

I found a workaround by editing the files straight out of the zip (without unzipping it). This will cause no conflicts!
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:03 am

Tentacular wrote:the problem seems to occur once I unzip it and rezip it, and rename to .ftl again.

it's a file structure issue

the file structure that's needed is: mod.ftl -> data -> blueprints.xml.append

your file structure instead looks like: mod.ftl -> mod -> data -> blueprints.xml.append

when rezipping, you should select the data folder and send it to a compressed zipped folder (if using 7zip or winrar, add to .zip archive), then rename to .ftl (alternatively you can enable the allow_zip setting in slipstream preferences to see .zip files as mod files, but keep in mind that you should release your mods as .ftl so people can use your mod easily).

patching the mod file you uploaded results in the unexpected innerpath warning, because there is an extra folder level before the core folders (data, img, etc.)

you may not be able to see this difference because the windows default view may be skipping single folders in the path when extracting/unzipping and rezipping.

in any case, again, to fix the error you should zip up the data folder, not the ships.rebalance.testing2 folder.

--------------

as a sidenote, slipstream can create mod boilerplate for you (File -> New Mod...) which I've found useful when zipping only because when zipping a selection of multiple folders the name of the parent directory will take the name of the new .zip file. you can thereafter remember that you need to select folders when creating a .zip. though, the real point of the mod boilerplate is that it will give you the template required for setting up the slipstream description.

as another sidenote, slipstream can zip up folders for you through running the exe/jar on command line with arguments, enabling much faster testing. read the Commandline section in readme_modders.txt for the possible arguments. if you don't know what that means, we're using slipstream to patch folders, mods, and/or run ftl, but without directly opening modman.exe with its user interface. instead we'll specify it through text, i.e. command line arguments.

this is what I typically do: go to file explorer and go into the folder with slipstream's exe. go File -> Open Windows Powershell. here's an example usage:

Code: Select all

./modman.exe --patch "my mod" hello.ftl --runftl

the different parts of this are:
./modman.exe ~~> runs the executable
--patch "my mod" hello.ftl ~~> patches the mod folder named "my mod", then the mod file named hello.ftl. you need quotation marks if the file/folder has spaces in its name
--runftl ~~> runs ftl

also if you've never used command prompt or any kind of shell before, up-arrow will cycle through previously entered commands, and more importantly don't use commands you don't know the usage of; some safeties like recycle bin are off.
Tentacular

Postby Tentacular » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:29 am

mr_easy_money wrote:you may not be able to see this difference because the windows default view may be skipping single folders in the path when extracting/unzipping and rezipping.

in any case, again, to fix the error you should zip up the data folder, not the ships.rebalance.testing2 folder.

That's exactly it. Can't believe I completely missed that!

Thanks for such a thorough and detailed explanation, plus the tips and advice about the rest ;)
Ser_Dirtnap

Postby Ser_Dirtnap » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:58 pm

I'm having an issue running Slipstream on a Mac, and haven't been able to find anyone else with the same problem in this topic. When I run it, it asks to locate the FTL app, but when I select it, I get an error. What am I doing wrong here?

BTW - I have the Advanced Edition installed, and I tried renaming it from FTL Advanced Edition to just FTL in case that helped, but it did not.

Thanks for any help!
Ser_Dirtnap

Postby Ser_Dirtnap » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:31 pm

Uh...duh, never mind, I downloaded an earlier version by mistake!
Mysterioso

Postby Mysterioso » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:30 am

Hello

Made an account to ask a question. My bad but I don't really get how this works :oops:

How do i install slipsteam on Mac on GOG?

Thanks
TenderGnat

Postby TenderGnat » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:34 am

So, uhh... the download of the latest version in the SourceForge website dont work, if you can send me a new link to the download it would be great
Sufiyann6325

Postby Sufiyann6325 » Sat May 30, 2020 10:47 am

Great work! Now I can managed to append most of the files through copy-pasting it into the relevant XMLs and packing a new file. :)
PointMeAtTheDawn

Postby PointMeAtTheDawn » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:51 pm

I'm attempting to change the default names of generated characters in the game.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lyxv-V ... sp=sharing is my modfile.

I'm not seeing any change - the default names are still being generated. What am I doing wrong? Thank you!