ART NEEDED! Another desperate plea by the PC team.

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
KingdomKrafters

ART NEEDED! Another desperate plea by the PC team.

Postby KingdomKrafters » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:56 pm

Hey there, its kix representing the ever-growing PC team. You may have seen the post about needing an artist (jeez 1676 people as of the moment have read it, and only 2 people responded.) Luckily, we did get some good artists. However, our production rate is not as high as hoped because... well. Life comes first. Also splicing zoltans is apparently really hard. However, I know someone out there has done it, so now I have a new request.

We need hulls. So now we're turning to the forums for them.
This isn't like some sort of commitment or anything. You don't have to keep making them. But if you have some old hulls that you never used or did use but you're fine with us using them, or you can easily make some, then great!

Confused? Well if you have any questions perhaps some of the ones bellow will answer them.

Wait. Do I get credit for these or are you just going to steal them?
Well as much as we would like to steal them (just joking, don't sue), we will of course give credit. In fact, you will go in a special place in the credits along with the ship class we used your hull for so everyone can know what you made and how we just used it.

Can I submit unfinished hulls?
Uh I'd rather you didn't, cause then we still have to finish them. We would much prefer they were finished unless you are giving us an unfinished one as a concept, and plan to finish it later and still let us use it. Additionally we would prefer the hulls look like something that belongs in FTL. Just thought I should put that out there.

Wait how do I even get these to you?
Simple. Join the Project Coalition discord server (link bellow), and navigate to the channel #art-submissions, and post them there. Or just ping me like a thousand times. If you don't have a discord acount, then post the images bellow, but I may not see them cause I check the forums randomly, not often.

Will you accept all the art I turn in?
Tbh depending on how many submissions we get a lot of stuff could get turned down (Kindly, possibly with some CONSTRUCTIVE feedback), but please don't be scared cause our best artist doesn't think he's that good even though he is godly.

What ships do you need?
For Specifics, here is a link to a google doc with a list of each type of ship and each faction. It won't help you figure out the color scheme, but it still helps.https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KuRbS4qBeuXFIV1Gi6iUzLL0SB20aloA85gvIednDSs/edit

For a more general response, here is a list of the different factions that we need and a description of what they look like. Also the ships dont have to use the specific color scheme, though it would be appreciated and save us a LOT of work.
Regular old zoltan, mantis, rock, engi, crystal, lanius, and slug ships
Duskbringer: Zoltan ships, use zoltan cruiser type b color scheme.
Suzerain: Mantis ships, use mantis cruiser type b color scheme.
Slug Scientists: Slug ships, use slug cruiser type c color scheme.
Free Roamers: Automated ships, use a sort of white body color with green eye glow.
Sector Defense Militia: Human ships (preferably mainly federation parts) that use the Federation Cruiser B color scheme.
Civilians: Human ships that use the cream color of Federation ships but without any stripes. Typically small and not very menacing.
Radical Coalition: Coalition ships are a mixture of slug, mantis, rock, and crystal parts. Radical coloring means the body of the ship uses rock cruiser b coloring, and the crystal parts use crystal cruiser b coloring.

I suppose if you have an enemy hull that doesn't fit into any of the above factions nor an existing faction in base FTL we could still find a way to use it/

If you are interested and have art you want to share, here are the links to the discord as well as the mod itself!
Forum link: http://www.subsetgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33178
Discord link: https://discord.gg/hkvMQrC

If you actually read through that, I applaud you. If you are also interested in helping, then very very very thank you.

So yeah. that is our plea.
Last edited by KingdomKrafters on Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CurseDC

Re: ART NEEDED! Another desperate plea by the PC team.

Postby CurseDC » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:08 pm

Kix you dope you double posted the Slug Scientist bit
PLIOU

Postby PLIOU » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:51 am

Hello everyone ! It's been 2-3 years since last time I was here ! Many new stuff I see that's great !
I played many games but I allways come back to play some FTL and I was thinking to update my images for some of the ships I had done in the past . Then I saw your mod and I downloaded it and it's very interesting ! Congratulations !
I don't have coding skills and I forgot the few things I had learned here . Its difficult for me now to even change an image ! i dont know if something changed since then or if I just suck at it lol !

So I just started painting which is really clear what should I do , after making about 40 -50 ships !

I tried to make a Zoltan player ship . I'd like to share the image and please tell me if you like it and if you want it you can have it ! I want to make more ship images but it's random , I dont have some plan .

Really glad to be back here I 'll try do something for sure .

KingdomKrafters

Postby KingdomKrafters » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:54 pm

Wow that thing looks really exotic and threatening... great for either a ship pack or a miniboss or something... We'd love to use it (maybe flip the orientation and downsize if it doesn't fix the enemy box)! Thanks for the artwork, so far you're literally the second person to give us art!
PLIOU

Postby PLIOU » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:51 pm

Yeap ! It look better the way you describe it ! You can use it anyway you want , I'll post again here sometime soon with something new . bye !
PLIOU

Postby PLIOU » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:55 pm

Hi ! I made the ship smaller , the image size is 350 x480 . It should fit in enemy window ? What is the max size of the enemy window ?

Image Image Image

I Don't know what technique is used for the cloak image , I never tried to make it like the original ftl images .
Using some filters I can make some similar effect without much work . I don't think it's very important .
The mirror images of the ships look good , but need repaint for FTL shadows .
This ship is finished I guess I dont see something more to do about it !

Image Image
KingdomKrafters

Postby KingdomKrafters » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:01 pm

Oh wow you were busy! As for the size, it turns out the large one only goes out of the box by like 5 pixels, so we'll probably use that one cause it's size is so menacing. Idk, maybe we'll use the smaller one so its a little more reasonable. Heck, I'll just have people vote on it in the discord.
As for making a cloak in GIMP, typically I just remove all of the color but the black outline, then replace it with the white, and then use drop shadow to add the blue glow.

We decided to use it as a zoltan miniboss (zoltan laboratory) for the new zoltan cruiser unlock event.
Thanks for the hard work and amazing art!
AgentTHeKat

Postby AgentTHeKat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:13 am

ImageImageImage
You know I had to do it to em ;)
It's me, one of those Multiverse Devs!
Do you have a ship sprite you aren't sure about? Do you think it could be better, but aren't sure how?
Contact me on discord (AgentTheKat#1953), and I'll see what I can do! It's kind of my thing.
PLIOU

Postby PLIOU » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:07 pm

That's a perfect cloak image ! Great skill :D !!
You can edit the image itself and repaint it even better than me i suppose !
I can't say I'm satisfied with most of the painting I have done so far . But Its very fan process !
PLIOU

Postby PLIOU » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:20 am

Hello ! I have some new image . There's not many people around here so I thought I'd post something for the few people left :)
It's very hard to imitate the FTL artwork .
If you did not like the previous image you can throw it away !!

This looks a little better I think . I can't perfect it . Maybe zoltan is the hardest ship to make .

Image Image

Next ship I'm making is a rock ship . I have some unfinished preview , it will take me few days to finish it .
If you have any suggestions , on anything , you are welcome ! Thank you !