Wannabe modder in need of guidance

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Technophage

Wannabe modder in need of guidance

Postby Technophage » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:39 pm

Hello there everyone !

I'm deeply sorry to disturb you, and if my request has been heard one thousand times before, but I would like to try some modding on FTL. Problem is, I do not know where to look. Tutorials are many and numerous, and the last one I tried to follow, I couldn't find the ressources folder of my FTL game...

Point is, if anyone would be so kind as to show me one and only tutorial to get things started with a few modifications, then another to add stuff of my own (Events, or more interestingly weapons) and to finish with one proposing to make your own ships, I would be deeply grateful !

Also, if anyone knows where I can find the graphical ressources of the game to get my eyes on some of it, it would be amazing.

Thanks for your time and Attention !
SaveFerris

Re: Wannabe modder in need of guidance

Postby SaveFerris » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:47 pm

I'm also a wannabe modder, but I think I can answer your questions. I have found this tutorial by KingdomKrafters helpful: https://subsetgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=32568

FTL's resources can be found in Slipstream Mod Manager by using File>Extract Dats.

I hope that helps, and feel free to ask any other questions, though I am not very knowledgeable on modding.
Technophage

Postby Technophage » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:24 pm

Thanks ! Hope I'll manage to get to it, I have a shit-ton of ideas i'd love to see becoming a reality.
Technophage

Postby Technophage » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Welp, seems like I'm too dumb to manage to get this tutorial right.
KingdomKrafters

Postby KingdomKrafters » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:16 pm

Hello there! This post is a little old but I was scrolling through the forums and saw a link to my tutorial so I decided to respond anyways. I recently wrote up a new tutorial on how to mod FTL which I never posted on the forums, but I suppose it may or may not be of help to you. It covers everything from making weapons/drones to ships to events.

hope this helps!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MZ-LbQdQ9qG2eNDbAVk6rfabbKJi4_fAV-ARA6IHw2M/edit?usp=sharing
Technophage

Postby Technophage » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:46 pm

Hey KingdomKrafter !

Thansk a lot for your support, the simple fact that you came in person to help me gave me a bit of motivation back ! I have 9 ships in mind (3x3 types), Two new species, and a Handful of weapons, augments and systems in mind. I'll probably never get them all to fruition, but I'm hoping for the best !

(Incidentally, if any other more experienced modders want to know about my ideas to help or make them themselves, I'm happy to share !)
Dloopory5

Postby Dloopory5 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:14 am

The only race you can "add" is the unused ghost race. as for the "adding a race" part you can only edit The Cost, The Appearance, The rarity, And the Description
(I think there might be more you can edit)
Technophage

Postby Technophage » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:28 pm

Alright, Thanks again KingdomKrafters for your turorial, I modded my first weapon quickly, but as I messed around I noticed a few things, notably the id="[path]" for titles and descriptions and I don't know where to find those, but more importantly, I did not found any informations about Chain and charge weapons, including Vulcans and Swarm missiles, do you know where I could find them ?

EDIT : Nevermind, found them by looking around in the DLC folder. Strange though, if Shotgun2 is Flak II, how comes it deals 7 damages when the data imply that only 6 projectiles are "true"... Anyway, I'm going to have fun. Thanks again !