[Squad] Archive Armors v1.3.2 (NOT updated for ITB 1.2)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional.
Lemonymous

[Squad] Archive Armors v1.3.2 (NOT updated for ITB 1.2)

Postby Lemonymous » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:17 am

Warning:
This mod has not been updated for ITB 1.2. For bug free experience, use with ITB 1.1 - otherwise use at your own risk.

See here for an updated version of this mod.

"Archive designed this squad for engagements so dire, collateral damage was deemed unavoidable."

Image Image Image

Archive Armors 1.3.2
Mod Loader - (Originally by CyberBoy2000. Continued by kartoFlane)

Old Versions - may require older mod loader
1.2.1, 1.2.0, 1.1.0, 1.0.0

Changelog

Code: Select all

1.3.2 - updated all my mods with correct modApiExt versioning. If you encounter bugs, update all your mods.
1.3.1 - modApiExt compatibility with other mods not using it's latest commits
Added missing icons.
Power pylon evac change.
Added option to add weapons to the store.

1.2.1 - bugfix for mod loader 2.3.0.
1.2.0 - some changes and nerfs.
1.1.0 - several buffs.
1.0.0 - initial release.
Last edited by Lemonymous on Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:00 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Captain Trek

Re: [Squad] Archive Armors

Postby Captain Trek » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:19 am

This is a very nicely-designed squad. Almost the opposite of Big Guys, they have overwhelming firepower, but almost no ability to properly position themselves. This makes them vulnerable in the early game and occasionally frustrating, but they can snowball quite nicely, as we discussed in the Discord chat. The Bomber's unique attack method and the Devastator's extensive capacity for collateral damage creates a new play style I found rather compelling, and it's further expanded upon by the bomber and smoke mech's upgrades. Overall, compared to the legitimately overpowered Rough Diamonds, I would say this squad is on the higher side of balanced, similar to Rift Walkers or Rusting Hulks. Though I wouldn't say they require broad nerfing, additional playtesting to facilitate more precise tweaks if needed would be a good idea.

The custom sprites are also superb, although the smoke mech could use a touch more detail, particular around the tracks. Custom portraits for their weapons would be the next step in polish beyond this.

Overall, I give this squad an A- (a solid A-!). Among the mod squads thus-far released, definitely something special, and I'd highly recommend anyone who wants to try out original fan-created squads give this one a try first.
Lemonymous

Postby Lemonymous » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:06 pm

Small squad update.

Smoke Launcher model updated.
Devastator has a new weapon image, and bullet sprite.
Bomb Run has a new attack effect.

Changes:
Devastator gains +1 movement.
Bomber gains +1 movement.
Devastator: +1 damage.
Devastator upgrades: -1 damage.
Bomb Run: Changed.
Bomb Run upgrade: loses push.
Smoke Launcher: -1 range.
Smoke Launcher upgrade: +1 range.

Fixes:
Smoke Launcher can't target acid or lava tiles anymore.

@Captain Trek: Thank you for your review and kind words. It is always appreciated and helps me know what to focus on.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:47 pm

It got updated... well damn I've already recorded two videos of a run with the old one... I'll still post them when the time comes though.
Lemonymous

Postby Lemonymous » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:57 pm

stylesrj wrote:It got updated... well damn I've already recorded two videos of a run with the old one... I'll still post them when the time comes though.

I'm sorry. The new version is not so different though. The experience should be similar.

Looking forward to the videos!
Captain Trek

Postby Captain Trek » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:58 am

I'm honestly not convinced about these changes. It feels like this squad was more unique when the mechs were slow and had to rely on the flexibility of the bomber and smoke mech's weapons and their upgrades. On the other hand, this probably doesn't snowball quite so much. I wouldn't really know, though, because I've had the most rotten luck imaginable trying to even get to the late game after the changes and I kinda gave up. Honestly, it might be better if the smoke launcher COULD target liquid tiles. Just now I lost a run because of an alpha hornet over water that I couldn't otherwise get to knocking out my last four power in one blow.
Lemonymous

Postby Lemonymous » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:45 pm

Captain Trek wrote:I'm honestly not convinced about these changes. It feels like this squad was more unique when the mechs were slow and had to rely on the flexibility of the bomber and smoke mech's weapons and their upgrades. On the other hand, this probably doesn't snowball quite so much. I wouldn't really know, though, because I've had the most rotten luck imaginable trying to even get to the late game after the changes and I kinda gave up. Honestly, it might be better if the smoke launcher COULD target liquid tiles. Just now I lost a run because of an alpha hornet over water that I couldn't otherwise get to knocking out my last four power in one blow.

Thanks for the feedback. I can understand your reluctance to the changes. I am also not sure about them. However, it is a bit closer to what I originally had in mind with the squad. The Bomber was never supposed to have push, and I simply added it to make the squad playable so I could release it and get feedback. There is not much feedback though, so I just have to go with my gut and try to get them one step closer to where I want them, one update at a time.

They are still very capable of doing 4 islands on hard by the way. If you feel you need more push, I would recommend starting with Harold Schmidt.
Captain Trek

Postby Captain Trek » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:02 pm

Well if there are more updates to come I'll wait on those before making another attempt at 4-island hard and giving another full review. As it is, they just aren't interesting enough anymore to hold my attention when the game gets as single-mindedly determined to screw me around as it was for the several attempts I made after you put the update out.
Lemonymous

Postby Lemonymous » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:20 pm

Captain Trek wrote:Well if there are more updates to come I'll wait on those before making another attempt at 4-island hard and giving another full review.

I may have given the wrong impression with my last post. Even though I do expect there will be an update eventually, I am not actively working on this squad at the moment. Additionally, I have no planned changes.

Without feedback, I'm looping through my own ideas and coming back with mostly the same things every time. One of them which is "The bomber should not be able to push". Reason being that it becomes either extremely overpowered with high damage, or it diminishes the team I wanted to make by being too weak with low damage. They are about collateral damage. If you can push everything out of the way nice and easy without investing in outside tools, then the squad is not working correctly.

I do want Devastator to have 2 move. Sadly it feels so bad in the beginning, so for now it has 3. Bomber should preferably have 3 move, but with the other changes, it felt better at 4 to give the player more options.

Until I find out how to progress, the squad will be like this for the time being.

If you disagree with anything, or have anything to add, feel free to share.

Edit: Maybe I will get some ideas when stylesrj posts his playthrough of the squad. It is difficult to design without testers.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:36 am

Well, you don't have to wait long for my playthrough now. Part 1 has just been released.

https://youtu.be/PonPqEv0zzY