iPad Air 2 to iPad 5th Generation

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
taiji2078

iPad Air 2 to iPad 5th Generation

Postby taiji2078 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:02 pm

Hello,

I only bought FTL for iOS. I was playing on an iPad Air 2 first. I gave it to my daughter and uninstalled all my games from it, without resetting the device. Just regular uninstall.

Last month I bought for myself an iPad 2017 5th Generation. I reinstalled the game but there's no profile, no save ... it says connected to my Game Center account, but nothing elso ... I can only start a new game ... and I had all the ships unlocked with many achievs ...

So I reinstalled the game on my old iPad Air 2 ... and there were NO saved games also, no ships, nothing.

Nothing on my iCloud Drive ... I have there the saves from my other games, but not from FTL.

Can you please tell me where should I look for my saved game with all the ships I unlocked ? Is there a chance to recover it ?

If I cannot save my progress between iOS devices, at least give us the possibility to use a ship unlock code or something to unlock our progress on iOS. Starting all over again with every new iOS device makes me unwilling to play this game anymore.

Thank you !

Best regards,
Emil
taiji2078

Re: iPad Air 2 to iPad 5th Generation

Postby taiji2078 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:35 pm

I'm really pissed since I cannot even open the documents of the game on regular iPad to add a custom save file with everything unlocked. Why did you lock your game like this ? Maniacs perhaps ???

I know I shouldn't be that mad about a game, but I've invested hours and hours to unlock everything and now it's just lost. My work is very time consuming and I must wait another few months for my holidays to have the time to unlock everything again. I really like your game but this thing ruined it for me. How hard would of been to offer us some cloud save method ... ?!?!?

I have only bad words for who programmed this save system on iOS. Don't you care about your customers ? ... and I know I'm not the only one. Since you see that so many are having difficulties why don't you help us ?! ... wtf ... waste of time to write here. Looks abandoned anyway.

Don't even bother to answer anymore. I won't buy anything else from you.

Bye.
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:03 am

I'm really sorry about the troubles. I appreciate that a response at this point might not mean much to you, but I wanted to answer anyhow.

There is a way to transfer data between iPads, but as you uninstalled the game from the iPad Air (understandably, given what your plans were) then you are correct that the data is gone.

Why don't we support cloud functionality on iPad? There's a couple reasons. The primary one is just that we're a small team (mostly just myself as the programmer) and supporting all features on all platforms becomes prohibitively complex. Which leads to reason #2...

Apple changed policies in regard to data access and file sharing. You used to be able to transfer files to and from FTL during the years following release... and then Apple locked things down to block that as being a standard feature. To make matters worse, their data sharing policies with what you're allowed to open up to the customer is also quite restrictive. We made decisions about how the file system for the game worked, and then they changed the rules on us, and changing it to match the newer system is not trivial.

We're in the process of doing additional work on all the versions of FTL to help update them to the many changes that have been made on all platforms since release, but it's a slow process (again, because we're a small team) and I don't have an ETA for when things will change.

At the end of the day I know none of that really matters because you lost your progress and that would be painfully frustrating. I'll PM you a key for the PC version of the game as it's the best I can do in terms of a tangible apology. Sadly Apple also doesn't even give us control of refunds so I can't offer your money back either.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
4n4

Postby 4n4 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:54 pm

>makes a thread in tech support forum
>waits for 1 day only
>posts again with bash and leaves in a huff
Apple users sure are entitled little princesses.
Jumbocarrot0

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:14 pm

4n4 wrote:>waits for 1 day only

The time between posts was actually two hours but that’s not the point.
Shark812

Postby Shark812 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:35 pm

Matthew wrote:There is a way to transfer data between iPads

How?