2 Noob questions

General discussion about the game.
jfpOne23

2 Noob questions

Postby jfpOne23 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:56 am

Great game, just bought it yesterday on Steam and already killing hours. Looking forward to new DLC lovin' :-)

Q1: Do the Rebels keep creeping up on me even as I sit in a system repairing? Or do they basically creep just every time I jump?

Q2: I freed a "Mantis" slave, and it says he has 2x combat skills. Is that only on board the ship or does it apply to him when I station in the weapons room?

Thanks for any answers and other tips -- Cheers!
AtillaBosma

Re: 2 Noob questions

Postby AtillaBosma » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:04 pm

A1: They advance when you jump.

A2: The mantis only does x2 damage to other crew members, AKA boarding parties, not sure about destroying other ships by boarding them.
jfpOne23

Postby jfpOne23 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:20 pm

Ah thanks...and another question:

Q: Do ALL crew members at a particular station (in the engine room for instance) get experience while in there and a task is performed? Same with Repair...does everyone in the room help with repairs during or after a combat?
Alblaka

Postby Alblaka » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:33 pm

A2: Mantis as well seem to deal double damage to doors and systems. You will notice when a boarding group of Mantis literally chews through your ship.

A3: Experience is only given to those who 'did' the task. Bystanders do not get any sort of traning if somebody else is manning the console. As well, repairing and fighting gives only exp to those who actually 'finished' the task (repaired the last%, killed the enemy).
Greetz,
Alblaka
Starbug

Postby Starbug » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:39 pm

Q1: Yes, its every time you FTL jump (you can hire a mercenary to delay them for a bit, though I've never made use of that)

Q2: As said, Its only in Combat with enemy crew members (hand to hand, or using their teeny little laser pistols). It doesn't affect ship damage if they are manning the weapons.

Q3: The crew member who finishes the repair/combat action is the one who gets the experience.

So for instance, if 3 people are fixing the room, the person who gets the last bit of a power bar fixed gets the experience, regardless of how much of a contribution they all made (obviously if 3 people are fixing it at the same time they will "finish" it at the same time, so I don't know how you would tell who gets the experience, just know that only one of them will. If you wanted to make sure, you could move 2 away leaving just one guy left and he would get the experience for sure, even if he only came in at the last minute)

Note that you get 1 repair experience for EACH power bar of a system that is fixed, so if your weapons had 3 damaged bars, then your crew would get 3 repair xp total (but it would be divided between the repairers)

I think that Breaches and fire don't count (sadly), though a better repair skill can repair a breach faster (not sure about fire, I think so)

And someone said somewhere on the forum that shields are a bit special, and only counts for 1 xp per 2 bars (given you can only power 2 bars at a time) but I'm not certain on that.

For combat, the person who deals the killing blow gets the xp, and no one else. You get 1xp for killing 1 guy, however you ALSO get 1 xp for each power bar of an enemy system you destroy, so boarding parties can level up pretty quick that way. Provided you don't blow up the ship they are on...

And yes, throwing more people at a problem will combine their repair skills :)
jfpOne23

Postby jfpOne23 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:44 pm

Thanks for the quick answers gents! And another (I'm actively playing :-) ):

Q4: I just got a "Boarding Drone" as a gift for rescuing another ship. Do I need a "Transporter" in order to utilize it?
Starbug

Postby Starbug » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:08 pm

Just activate it and find out...
You will be very pleased with the results... ;)

You need a drone control room though, but not a transporter.
Boarding drones use a more... 'direct' method of getting onto the enemy ship :D

Lol they couldn't have given you a better gift XD
Alblaka

Postby Alblaka » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:30 pm

Be advised Boarding Drones can be shot down by Defense Drones. For unknown reasons I STRONGLY recommend you to get a Defense Drone until the latter sectors...
Greetz,
Alblaka
jfpOne23

Re: Several Noob questions

Postby jfpOne23 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:52 am

Q: The "Repair Arm" augumentation: It says it "repairs the hull" but you lose 15% of scrap from every encounter. Is this thing worthwhile? Is it a full repair or only a single block at a time kind-of-thing?
Alblaka

Postby Alblaka » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:11 am

Given I usually aim to take no damage in a fight whatsoever, getting a 15% scrap reduction for no repair isn't a good deal.
Greetz,
Alblaka