Pretty shields

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
MantisManMike

Pretty shields

Postby MantisManMike » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:41 pm

This mod replaces the shield graphics. I suggest loading it AFTER other mods, especially my "graphical fixes" mod.

Download: Pretty shields 1.2

Full-resolution comparison screenshots: Pretty shields 1.1, pretty shields 1.0, and vanilla shields.

Version 1.2 improves mod compatibility. Version 1.1 makes the following improvements on 1.0:

• Replaces the washed-out hard outline with a soft glow
  • Tweaks player and enemy shields positions / size, so the ship doesn't poke out
  • Uses a higher-resolution enemy shield image, which looks great on the Flagship!
  • Adjusts the enemy shield brightness and frame background, to match the player shield better without losing contrast

Some compromise was necessary with the enemy shield image. When you make it high-resolution, it also changes the central point where the first layer expands from. Even without mods, this is already an issue on some enemies -- such as the Flagship, which is way off-centre. The higher I push the resolution, the more noticeable this issue becomes. I compromised on a medium resolution, which improves the Flagship "centring", but does make some enemies worse.

Older versions

Version 1.0

Last edited by MantisManMike on Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chronosplit

Re: Pretty shields

Postby Chronosplit » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:49 am

Big points from me for providing enemies with similar shields. I'm preferring this over High Res Shields.

The only issue that I'm seeing is that the enemy shields will extend past the enemy window at times. I'm using SMPK's enhanced HUD here so I'm not sure if the same is for the default, but here's an example:

EDIT: Just did some testing, looks like the enhanced hud is the culprit and not Pretty Shields. Sorry about that. :oops:
spicybanger

Postby spicybanger » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:15 am

Love it! Must have mod imo
MantisManMike

Postby MantisManMike » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:24 am

Big points from me for providing enemies with similar shields.

Thanks! This was always something from the base game that just slightly bugged me. I was surprised how well it turned out.

Zoltan bombers look a little more "stretched" than I'd like (because they are so thin), but even then I think it's okay.

The only issue that I'm seeing is that the enemy shields will extend past the enemy window at times. I'm using SMPK's enhanced HUD here so I'm not sure if the same is for the default, but here's an example:

I think that's a mod conflict, unfortunately. I will check this out when I get a chance. **EDIT** Saw your comment at the end -- okay, looks like it is a conflict.

My mod replaces the "targeting frame" around the enemy ship, and I expect SMPK does too. The original frame has a hexagon background, which "shows through" the enemy shield -- which is somewhat useful when the shield has no pattern, but looks a bit odd when it already has hexagons.

If SMPK doesn't change shield images, you could try loading my mod before SMPK. Then you should get my shields and the targeting frame from SMPK.

Love it! Must have mod imo

Awesome, thanks! :)
Chronosplit

Postby Chronosplit » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:21 pm

MantisManMike wrote:

I think that's a mod conflict, unfortunately. I will check this out when I get a chance. **EDIT** Saw your comment at the end -- okay, looks like it is a conflict.

My mod replaces the "targeting frame" around the enemy ship, and I expect SMPK does too. The original frame has a hexagon background, which "shows through" the enemy shield -- which is somewhat useful when the shield has no pattern, but looks a bit odd when it already has hexagons.

If SMPK doesn't change shield images, you could try loading my mod before SMPK. Then you should get my shields and the targeting frame from SMPK.

So far, it looks like using the hud after shields in the mod order is the way to go. I haven't had any issues after following your suggestion, thanks!
MantisManMike

Postby MantisManMike » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:57 pm

Chronosplit wrote:So far, it looks like using the hud after shields in the mod order is the way to go. I haven't had any issues after following your suggestion, thanks!

Excellent, glad it worked!
redlerred7

Postby redlerred7 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:41 am

I'm glad people are using my method for creating shield bubbles. Will definitely download and use those

Edit: Okay, so I just realized that you don't actually use my method of creating shield bubbles ( I made a badly made video tutorial about it actually ). I'm sorry for just assuming. Eitherway, it's very cool and I'll still use it
MantisManMike

Postby MantisManMike » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:20 am

redlerred7 wrote:I'm glad people are using my method for creating shield bubbles. Will definitely download and use those

Edit: Okay, so I just realized that you don't actually use my method of creating shield bubbles ( I made a badly made video tutorial about it actually ). I'm sorry for just assuming. Eitherway, it's very cool and I'll still use it

Hey, that's pretty neat, I didn't even think of doing it that way! Also glad you like the result. :)

My process ended up fairly convoluted:

I made an icosphere in Blender, then bevelled it to create the hexagons and edges (following the first part of this tutorial). Then I exported the object to Lightwave for rendering.

In Photoshop, I used a radial gradient as a mask to get the "fade towards centre" effect. I used an "inner glow" to create the outline, and an adjustment layer to tweak the saturation/brightness so it matched the original.

Then I resized it to fit the original images, and tested in-game to make sure shield collisions were occurring at the right places. I also tweaked the enemy shield image to be brighter and more saturated (taking my cue from the original), and cleaned up the "targeting frame" graphics to remove the hexagon pattern.
MantisManMike

Postby MantisManMike » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:15 am

Updated to 1.1, see first post for details. Looks significantly better IMO.
MantisManMike

Postby MantisManMike » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:46 am

Updated to 1.2, which improves mod compatibility. You will no longer see enemies "poking out" the frame.