[GFX] Colored Hull Bar

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
mr_easy_money

[GFX] Colored Hull Bar

Postby mr_easy_money » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:06 am

This mod recolors the Hull Bar (the thing surrounding the ship health) from plain white to Red-Yellow-Green (representing the 3 colors of damage). There is a gradient of sorts on the top part, though different from a previous version of this mod; read below.

FTL 1.6.1 changed the way the hull bar is changeable. Instead of being able to change the top part of the bar using an image and such, the word displayed can be freely changed in the data files. It appears the previous very smooth gradient and clear box is no longer possible, instead having a gradient on the ends of the word and a solid color in the middle, the majority of the word. See below for what it looks like with different words.

How it looks:
with the vanilla word "HULL"
with the word "HEALTH"

Dropbox Download Link for Colored Hull Bar for FTL 1.6.3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ig02iojrl1ab ... 3.ftl?dl=0

Code: Select all

Changelog:
v 1.0 for FTL 1.6.3
- updated for FTL 1.6.3, changing the top section of the hull bar. the bottom part that "contains" the hull has been left untouched.

v 1.0
- initial release

History:
v1.0 for FTL 1.6.3
Credit to R30hedron for making the gradient on the new "chip" as it is that determines the color of that top part. I had originally tried doing a gradient, but the middle turned into a meh orange, but R30 seems to have gotten it right (see for yourself, images above!).

v1.0 and prior
The idea for this mod came to me when I started thinking about when the health itself turns from green to yellow... then to red, and why the bar itself didn't show that. the red damage 'notch' starts at 0 and ends at 9, where the yellow 'notch' takes over at 10 and ends at 19, where the green 'notch' takes over at 20 and ends at 30... I figured the hull bar should reflect that. I derived the colors from the in-game colors of the ship health colors. Initially there was a cyan overlay on the border to match the hull bar's cyan glow (yeah there's a glow!), but it didn't look right. Instead I finalized on a gradual gradient border of red to yellow, which looks much better.

Next was the section that reads HULL. I didn't really like how it looked. In my initial change I gave each letter more space, but separated the letters by bars, gave each letter a different color more (both L's were green) and the surrounding part was pink. It looked okay. I tried switching it to horizontal stripes of each color, but that became hard to read. Eventually, for clarity, I removed the dividers between the letters, giving a cleaner look. Also, I remembered the work I did on Captain Surreal's hull and figured blend/gradient fill might look nice, and indeed it does, and after a bit of additional cleanup and polishing the hull bar finalized out to what you see now.

Enjoy! :)
Last edited by mr_easy_money on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arfy

Re: [GFX] Colored Hull Bar

Postby Arfy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:30 am

Wootisms! I remember when you posted this thing on the Discord; looks quite nice actually (Quite vibrant and surreal), might make it a permanent mod to use for vanilla FTL 'n' such. =]
Discord: ATLAS#9226
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:33 am

Arfy wrote:Wootisms! I remember when you posted this thing on the Discord; looks quite nice actually (Quite vibrant and surreal), might make it a permanent mod to use for vanilla FTL 'n' such. =]

yep, it's a go-to mod for me along with that massive names mod of mine ;)
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:54 pm

Out of curiosity, have you tried moving the notches on the bar and the fill? Does the game recognize that? Cause this really feels like an actual oversight, like the notches should haven been where the color changes occur or vice versa.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:07 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:Out of curiosity, have you tried moving the notches on the bar and the fill? Does the game recognize that?

no I haven't but I it don't think it works that way, it probably keeps the 9-10-11 for the damage colors based on said ratio of the hull strength. I think if you have a hull strength not at 30, when exactly the fill changes color is slightly different, but I'm not completely sure because not 30 (or multiples of 30) hull strengths will oddly chop up the fill, but

It'd be easy to figure that out, if you change the kestrel's hull to something odd like 35 or 40 and also put on the Hull Bar mod that completely fills in the fill, no gaps.
Sleeper Service wrote:Cause this really feels like an actual oversight, like the notches should haven been where the color changes occur or vice versa.

I wanna say it's an oversight that the color changes don't occur where the notches are or vice versa, but I think they're different on purpose:

- The 10-10-10 notches make the bar feel "symmetric" and easier to spot how much hull you have.
- The actual colors, on the other hand, tell you how critical your hull is: 10 is okay hence yellow, but below that is not so good hence red. similarly, 20 is good hence green, but below that is okay hence yellow.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:50 am

This mod has been updated for FTL 1.6.3. Due to changes in FTL 1.6.3, it looks different from before. See the first post for all the details.