[MOD] Random starting med/clone-bay on any ship

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
meklozz

[MOD] Random starting med/clone-bay on any ship

Postby meklozz » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:53 pm

Just something that was talked about a few times (sort of, not exactly this maybe) and I realized it was simple to do. Just changes the starting ships to some lists of two different variants and so each time you go into the Hangar you'll randomize each ship for whether it has a medbay or a clonebay. Nothing special, only vanilla ships, don't use with any modded ships. I didn't see such a mod anywhere before, sorry if it already existed.

Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qvpxf8mejd5rsf0/randomAEheals.ftl?dl=0

v2:
- adjusted Fregatidae and Theseus medbay levels
mr_easy_money

Re: [MOD] Random starting med/clone-bay on any ship

Postby mr_easy_money » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:16 am

a side-effect of using blueprintList's of ships is that you can't see the ship achievements if you hit ESC. this probably means then that the ship achievements are hardcoded by the name of the shipBlueprint:

what I wonder then, is if that also means that you can't get the ship achievements for the ship, since its name is different. also up for speculation is what happens if you switch e.g. the mantis type A to the slot of the kestrel type A... do the mantis achievemnts pop-up?

meklozz

Postby meklozz » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:43 am

Didn't know that, but seems ok, after all you're not playing the vanilla ship fair to the achievements. Also can't really do anything about it so lets just say it's working as intended.

Do you mean creating a blueprint list with only the vanilla mantis ship in it? Interesting, maybe will check tomorrow.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:22 am

meklozz wrote:Do you mean creating a blueprint list with only the vanilla mantis ship in it? Interesting, maybe will check tomorrow.

yeah, with the blueprint list with the name of the kestrel type A, but it has the name of the mantis type A within it

also, I noticed some shenanigans can go on when you click LIST in the hangar if whatever the ship class is called is different between the two. the same goes for the description. it basically keeps cycling through nonstop like it does with the drone control roulette in Arsenal+.:

here's an example of those shenanigans (these shenanigans are partially of my own making, and hardly reflects the mod here whatsoever)

:edit; this could probably be pretty useful if you wanted to make a mod about some ghost or mysterious type ship, so instead of a description with a bunch of question marks or random text, you could do that, but then also do this, varying the descriptions until you get something completely garbled up when hovered over. of course, you'd probably want to make the descriptions/ship class names the same length, unlike here.

:̶e̶d̶i̶t̶2̶;̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶f̶i̶g̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶a̶d̶d̶ ̶m̶̶̶o̶̶̶r̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶e̶̶̶n̶̶̶t̶̶̶r̶̶̶i̶̶̶e̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶o̶̶̶f̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶s̶̶̶a̶̶̶m̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶s̶̶̶h̶̶̶i̶̶̶p̶̶̶,̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶e̶̶̶n̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶ ̶̶̶n̶̶̶e̶̶̶w̶̶̶ ̶̶̶s̶̶̶h̶̶̶i̶̶̶p̶̶̶ ̶̶̶w̶̶̶i̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶s̶̶̶a̶̶̶m̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶e̶̶̶v̶̶̶e̶̶̶r̶̶̶y̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶g̶̶̶ ̶̶̶b̶̶̶u̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶ ̶̶̶d̶̶̶i̶̶̶f̶̶̶f̶̶̶e̶̶̶r̶̶̶e̶̶̶n̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶̶̶d̶̶̶e̶̶̶s̶̶̶c̶̶̶r̶̶̶i̶̶̶p̶̶̶t̶̶̶i̶̶̶o̶̶̶n̶̶̶ ̶̶̶w̶̶̶i̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶s̶̶̶a̶̶̶m̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶m̶̶̶o̶̶̶u̶̶̶n̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶̶̶o̶̶̶f̶̶̶ ̶̶̶e̶̶̶v̶̶̶e̶̶̶r̶̶̶y̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶g̶̶̶,̶̶̶ ̶ ̶o̶k̶ ̶r̶i̶p̶ ̶n̶v̶m̶.̶ ̶m̶a̶y̶b̶e̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶a̶d̶d̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶e̶n̶t̶r̶i̶e̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶s̶h̶i̶p̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶n̶a̶m̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶s̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶c̶r̶i̶p̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶k̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶d̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶ ̶"̶p̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶2̶"̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶c̶r̶i̶p̶t̶i̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶r̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶U̶I̶ ̶b̶o̶x̶.̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶e̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶.̶.̶.̶

yeah... nevermind. that idea didn't work. the rate at which it cycles through is too fast. maybe if I add more entr--- no, think I'll stop there. would've been cool though :roll: however, on the "bright" side, this does make the garbling idea able to be even more garbled up:

kinda got carried away...
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:35 am

mr_easy_money wrote:also, I noticed some shenanigans can go on when you click LIST in the hangar if whatever the ship class is called is different between the two. the same goes for the description.

a follow-up of sorts to this. I figured if it was cycling through things in the LIST, what would happen with the last part to cycle? which last part am I referring to? the mini-ship image of course!

so it doesn't cycle through them, probably because it is an image, but every time you open LIST, you get a different image: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55REHeiphxo

obviously, you also get the same description and class shenanigans, but if you make those the same, that is, duplicate one ship but change it's miniship image, or hell, why just change the mini-ship when you can change the whole thing -- you could make randtrel an all-in-one, all possibilities in one ship, why need a generator ---

I just thought of something. in this manner, you'd still get highscores for the ship, right? not sure...
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:18 am

I just found out there's a big flaw to this mod: using it will delete all ship high scores, unfortunately. it looks like turning a player shipBlueprint into a blueprintList with references to more than one shipBlueprint causes this, like so (as is done in the mod)

Code: Select all

<blueprintList name="PLAYER_SHIP_HARD">
   <name>PLAYER_SHIP_HARD_M</name>
   <name>PLAYER_SHIP_HARD_C</name>
</blueprintList>

however, making it into a blueprintList and referencing just one ship (can be any ship) is fine and will not delete anything, like so,

Code: Select all

<blueprintList name="PLAYER_SHIP_HARD">
   <name>PLAYER_SHIP_MANTIS</name>
</blueprintList>

however, getting a highscore will only work if it's one of the 26 original names, like in this case, as long as the referenced shipBlueprint is actually there. if it isn't, that's okay and the default rebel rigger ship to prevent crashes will be loaded.

however, if the two blueprintLists reference each other, the game won't even make it to the main menu, presumably because of an infinite loop there (wouldn't matter then if the shipBlueprints exist, because they aren't being referenced, and besides, the game won't even make it to the hangar anyways).

well anyway
...looks like we're limited after all to just 26 layouts, unless you're willing to delete all your scores for a score that won't even record... :cry: