sM Polish Kit: Insurrection v1.6 [CE Support + Modules]

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
FearTheBlaziken

Re: sM Polish Kit: Insurrection v1.3 [CE Support + Modules]

Postby FearTheBlaziken » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:04 am

To anyone in the future reading this, welcome to the 60th page of this thread! Now that I gotten that out of the way, let's get to my point.

I have found a couple of small (mostly aesthetic) bugs with the kit in the past week of playing Insurrection.

1. While playing the Insurrection Crystal B, I found that its cloaking Image is 1 pixel off from the hull, I decided to also test the cloak for all 28 ships afterwards and found that all three Mantis Cruisers also have the same issue with their cloaking image placements.
    To save the trouble of testing this yourself, I'll give you a link of the fixed .xml files for the affected cruisers. Trust me, they work.
  2. Also, when at a store, Discord's full name overflows the crew box, as the box in stores show the full name of a crew member, leading to this.
  3. Crystal Vengeance is available in stores, while this may seem normal, you did set the cost of the augment to Zero so it won't be sold immediately, I suggest to remove it from the Crystal Sector's loot pool as the player can already get the augment from the Cruiser Quest. Or add the option of buying it in stores as a store-linked event.
  4. There are also a couple of issues with choice placement such as the Haywire Defense System's assist option and "Leave them alone" being swapped in the kit, or the "You have no idea how the boarders got through your Zoltan Shield!" message appearing by itself. I've taken the liberty of fixing them so they can be applied to the kit itself.

Code: Select all

["..." has been placed to save space and show what should be changed]

events.xml
    <event name="DISTRESS_SATELLITE_DEFENSE" unique="true">
       <text>The distress signal is coming from a small space station orbiting an uninhabited planet. Their satellite defense system has gone haywire and their repair crew can't approach without being fired on. They're looking for help to fix or disable it.</text>
       <distressBeacon/>
       <choice req="engines" blue="false" max_group="2">
          <text>We're not prepared for this, leave them alone.</text>
          <event>
             <text>You can't help them so you prepare to move on.</text>
          </event>
       </choice>
    </event>

<eventList name="ALISON_DEFECTOR_REJECT">
       <event>
          <text>He offers to lead you to a secret cache of scrap nearby if you let him join your crew.</text>
          <choice hidden="true">
             <text>Reject his offer again.</text>
             <event>
                <text>Attempting to deal with attacks from inside and out is never easy!</text>
                <boarders min="1" max="1" class="human"/>
                <choice>
                   <text load="GENERIC_ATTACK_TEXT"/>
                   <event/>
                </choice>
                <choice req="AUGMENTS_ASSIST" hidden="true">
                   <text load="GENERIC_CAS_TEXT"/>
                   <event load="COMBAT_ASSIST"/>
                </choice>
             </event>
          </choice>
       </event>
    </eventList>

events_mantis.xml
    [When the Named Weapons Module is enabled, saving Kazaaakplethkilik (using the Teleporter before healing him) would only lead to the player getting Mantis Pheromones instead of the usual 50% of the former and 50% of a random augment (MANTIS_NAMED_THIEF_STASH). The sensors option doesn't end with the same augment, so I guess this isn't intentional]

events_rock.xml
    <event name="ROCK_STARSHIP_MINE" unique="true">
       <choice hidden="true">
          <text>Attempt evasive manoeuvres.</text>
          <event load="ROCK_STARSHIP_MINE_EVADE" />
       </choice>
    </event>
    <eventList name="ROCK_STARSHIP_MINE_EVADE">
       <event load="ROCK_STARSHIP_MINE_FAIL"/>
       <event load="ROCK_STARSHIP_MINE_FAIL"/>
       <event>
          <text>The ship just barely evades the incoming mine, its claws scraping against the side of the hull as you change course. Even so, it continues to fly in your wake as a sign you probably jump away as soon as possible...</text>
       </event>
    </eventList>
    <event name="ROCK_STARSHIP_MINE_FAIL">
       <text>The ship's turning circle proves too wide and the mine bites down onto the hull. You can hear it now, chewing through the armour.</text>
       <choice hidden="true">
          <text>Send someone out there to defuse it.</text>
          <event load="ROCK_STARSHIP_MINE_DEFUSE"/>
       </choice>
       <choice hidden="true" req="ghost">
          <text>(Hologram) Send your Hologram out there to defuse it.</text>
          <event load="ROCK_STARSHIP_MINE_DEFUSE_HOLO"/>
       </choice>
       <choice hidden="true" req="WEAPONS_MISSILES">
          <text>(Missile Weapon) Attempt a controlled detonation using a missile.</text>
          <event>
             <text>After drawing straws, a crew member goes out to fix a modified warhead to the mine. You detonate the missile in a way that dislodges the mine. It blows up shortly after. The ship takes some damage in the blasts, but you're still sailing.</text>
             <damage amount="3"/>
             <damage amount="1" system="random"/>
             <item_modify>
                <item type="missiles" min="-1" max="-1"/>
             </item_modify>
             <autoReward level="LOW">scrap_only</autoReward>
          </event>
       </choice>
       <choice hidden="true" req="DRONES_COMBAT_BEAM">
          <text>(Beam Drone) Use a drone to cut away the mine with a precision beam.</text>
          <event>
             <text>Carefully guided from the bridge, your beam drone removes the mines grappling arms and sends it drifting off into space, where you shoot at it until it detonates at a safe distance.</text>
             <item_modify>
                <item type="drones" min="-1" max="-1"/>
             </item_modify>
          </event>
       </choice>         
       <choice hidden="true">
          <text>Do nothing but brace for impact.</text>
          <event>
             <text>It's a tough decision, but you deem the health of your crew to be more valuable than the ship. Everyone holds onto their stations and braces for the moment the mine detonates.</text>
             <damage amount="6"/>
             <damage amount="1" system="room" effect="breach"/>
          </event>
       </choice>
    </event>

newEvents.xml
    [Not as game breaking as the HPE, but during the TRADER_UPGRADES event, if the player has maxed systems and somehow doesn't have Shields/Drone Control/Life Support, they're able to go outside the 8 system limit, keep this in mind the next time you update the kit.]
    <event name="TERRAFORMING_SCAN"  unique="true">
       <choice req="engines" blue="false" max_group="2">
          <text>You do not have the time or the equipment to help.</text>
          <event>
             <text>"We understand. Best of luck on your mission, sir!"</text>
             <choice>
                <text>Prepare to jump away.</text>
                <event/>
             </choice>
          </event>
       </choice>
    </event>
    Let me know (via PM) if you're confused by some of these changes.

I've also made two 'fan-made' modules, one being a fix toward's CE/CR's music module, and the other being a resurrection of a fight from the kit's glory days (that I've been testing for the past couple of months), along with a modified Enhanced Systems Module that doesn't require the use of extra modules to work with Insurrection/CR. Add them to the kit if you want.

Captain's Remix Music Patch (CR Only): Removes the redundant sectors added by the original CE music addon and changes the trackList of several sectors to include CE's new music. For convenience, Copyrighted Music by SoLaRiS will not be played.

Hard Flagship Module (All): Based on the original HFM and using parts of the Insurrection/CR Flagship, this module replaces the boss fight with a fine-tuned Flagship designed to give even the most powerful of cruiser a challenge.

Given what I've done while others were not active, I can now say that I've polished the Polish Kit. Release coming soon, but not from me.
The Lanius

Postby The Lanius » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:13 pm

Hey, really like the idea of this mod but when i try playing the only ships i encountered were rebel drone ships except the ship name is "something broke" and they just explode before i can do anything???? please help. :( :(
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:01 pm

Can you send over a list of your Mod Order in Slipstream Mod Manager? That would be a good place to start figuring out what's happened.
slowriderxcorps

Re: sM Polish Kit: Insurrection v1.4 [CE Support + Modules]

Postby slowriderxcorps » Mon May 01, 2017 6:25 pm

Enough progress has been made in refining the smaller details in every area that needed them to warrant a new update. In addition however, the Augmented and Named Weapons modules have been bestowed some brand new changes and additions.
First of all, a new technique has been used to apply graphical alterations to the various weapons. Many weapons should now be looking shinier than they were in the past, and ionic weapons no longer have their glowing effects completely overwritten by the new appearances. Secondly, the special Named weapons now have an all-new appearance to make them more distinctive over the Elite weaponry.

And thirdly, there are now two new variants to experiment with. Ablative weapons have the ability to strike systemless rooms for double damage at a cost to some charging speed, granting them an alternative vector of attack that can potentially end firefights in record time. And Ionic/Arc Lasers are heavily-modified lasers that take a severe handling hit in order to augment its attacks with temporary damage that applies itself against enemy systems in many different ways. These will likely be the variants that will receive tuning in the coming weeks, as there is at least one variant in particular that might get broken extremely badly under its effects. And as for their actual effectiveness in the field, that will be for the players to explore and to have fun with.
Venti

Postby Venti » Mon May 15, 2017 3:39 pm

hi i really love your mod but for some reason my game only works sometimes. when i start it it mostly starts hanging at ship selection menu and when im quick enough to start a game it crashes after a few seconds. today morning i played completely till the flagship and didnt have a crash or something. hope you can help me cause it would be a shame if i couldnt use your mod. posting my loadorder here.

EDIT : deactivated all my weapon mods now it works. is this mod incompatible with every weapon mod or are there a few that work with it ?
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Mon May 15, 2017 9:29 pm

That Mod Order's got a lot of clutter going on with it. Going down the list in order of things that feel like they would break stuff, Ship Greebles is in both the wrong location and the wrong one. There's a separate one for Insurrection, and that gets installed after Ins itself. I'm relatively sure the Event Assistant doesn't work with the 'kit if it works the way I think it does. The Augmented Weapons Modules are loaded backwards from what they should be. You don't need to run Restricted and Enhanced Systems at the same time. Everything else is external weapon packs separate from my realm of knowledge, and so while they should work in theory, I wouldn't know how well they work together.
FearTheBlaziken

Postby FearTheBlaziken » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:12 pm

Though I may get these issues out of the way, so I don't have to run a seperate mod to fix them manually.

I just checked the Insurrection Mod files and saw that none of the Insurrection AE equipment had xml commands to be added on the "DLC_ITEMS/WEAPONS/DRONES" blueprintLists, this results in a strange scenario where those equipment can spawn even when AE is disabled. (I tested it myself), and none of the equipment can be created in a specific Lanius event.

Also, the Tactical and Named variant of the Repair Burst don't seem to be able to trigger the blue options that the regular Repair Burst has access to, I suggest creating a seperate blueprintList for those options.

Whenever you fight Phase 3 in a Hazard, the Power Surge Warning shows up in front of the Hazard Warning, as the warning only appears in those fights, maybe you can move them under the 'Affinity' text so the only thing blocking the Hazard is the Sun/ASB warnings (I don't know where to put those, sorry). I'll supply you with the modified warning images in the post.

The weapons bay description also slightly overflows the description box when it's Lv1, and the information that upgrading will increase the number of weapons powered is a little redundant. Cutting it out will make the description properly fit the box.

Just another thing that irritates me, the credits show Andrew Church (who is only credited in the iOS version) instead of Ben Prunty, and they don't even resemble proper credits (with a couple of them being assigned small text and others larger text), I've put examples of improved credits below.

Credits for vanilla sM Polish Kit:
<text name="game_from">A game from:</text>
<text name="subset_games">subset games</text>
<text name="created_by">Created by:</text>
<text name="matthew_justin">Matthew Davis and Justin Ma</text>
<text name="addition_code">iOS programming:</text>
<text name="andrew_church">Andrew Church</text>
<text name="music_by">Music and sound by:</text>
<text name="ben_prunty">Ben Prunty</text>
<text name="writing_by">With writing from:</text>
<text name="tom_jubert">Tom Jubert</text>
<text name="guest_writer">Advanced Edition special guest writer:</text>
<text name="chris_a">Chris Avellone</text>
<text name="additional_art">Additional art, editing, and design:</text>
<text name="bryan_ma">Bryan Ma and Alison Waller</text>
<text name="editing">The 'selftitledMod Polish Kit' created by:</text>
<text name="alison_w">slowriderxcorps</text>

Credits for sMi/CR:
<text name="game_from">A game from Subset Games</text>
<text name="subset_games">Created by Matthew Davis and Justin Ma</text>
<text name="created_by">Music and sound by:</text>
<text name="matthew_justin">Ben Prunty</text>
<text name="addition_code">iOS programming:</text>
<text name="andrew_church">Andrew Church</text>
<text name="music_by">With writing from:</text>
<text name="ben_prunty">Tom Jubert and Chris Avellone</text>
<text name="writing_by">Additional art, editing, and design by:</text>
<text name="tom_jubert">Bryan Ma and Alison Waller</text>
[Rest of Credits are unchanged]

Another thing that I have a slight grudge with is the empty space after the short text when a missile/chain weapon is augmented to remove these functions (i.e. Energy Missile weapons and the named Auto Laser), you may want to consider extending them so they don't look out of place.

List of weapon short text that can be extended.
- All energy missile weaponry. ('M/B+' to 'Missiles/Bomb+')
- The Named and Taboo Healing Burst ('B*' to 'Burst*')
- The Named Swarm Missile Launcher ('M*' to 'Missiles*')
- The Named Atlantis Torpedoes ('T*' to 'Torps*')
- The Named Auto Laser  ('L+' to 'Laser*')

Given what I've done while others were not active, I can now say that I've polished the Polish Kit. Release coming soon, but not from me.
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:35 pm

I've gone through most of these and sorted out issues here and there. As of recently, my main experiments have been with alterations to the game font files (specifically the Kerning, thank ClockSpin for teaching me what that word means, namely the spacing of the characters). Font editors really aren't that easy to use, as it turns out. I think I'm okay with the final results that I've come up with so far, although further changes may still be looked into.

In addition however, I've also put together a variation of the 'kit as a standalone download, which is purely aesthetic and bugfixes. I made it as a personal thing for whenever I'm inclined to play Vanilla, but I'm deciding to release it here as well, for those who prefer the alterations to the visual fidelity but question the functional changes to the game's mechanics and equipment.
aaaaaa50

Postby aaaaaa50 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:23 pm

Every time I come back to FTL, I always install the sM Polish Kit. :D Insurrection works great, and I like the ship layouts you made for it. Unfortunately, when I tried out the Captain's Remix I ran into some graphical bugs.

This is from the latest download of the mod. I don't know what's up with the menu, but some variations of Engis are only black boxes. This shows up even when I'm only using the "Alpha - The sM Polish Kit for Advanced Edition" and "Expansion - sMPK Captain's Remix". From the blurb in the mod manager for the Captain's Remix, this should work:

"Example build for sMPK Captain's Remix:
Alpha - The sM Polish Kit for Advanced Edition
Graphical Modifications
Expansion - sMPK Captain's Remix
Ship Modifications"

I don't know if there's something else I'm supposed to install to make the graphics work, or if there's some error in this version. Also, there were references to a Captain's Remix specific Ship Greebels file, but it isn't in the download. Aaaand that's all I got. Thanks for continuing to update your mod, if you'd finished years ago it'd still be my pick for the best FTL mod overall. The fact you've both continued on to make your own Total Conversion mod, and that you are still making updates, is just extra awesome. :mrgreen:
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:25 pm

You need the CE Resource Pack to make CRemix work, that can be found in the main thread for Captains Edition.