FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
stylesrj

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.301/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.301

Postby stylesrj » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:57 pm

I was just thinking that there could be a few more bits of flavour to rebel ships when they attack.
I just saw the event where they're like "We'll get promoted for sure!" before they attack... but why stop there? Why not add some retirony to the mix?

The Rebel Captain is old and grizzled but when he sees your ship he shouted "I may be only 3 days from retirement but your death will surely be great for my pension plan! Attack!"

During surrender, the messages could also be stuff like:
An old grizzled Captain says "I'm getting too old for this crap. Let us go and we'll let bygones be bygones!"
Or "I'm retiring the next day. Please let me return to my family"

Or of course for any sort of surrender (not just Rebels):
After accepting their surrender, the ship Captain says over the comms "It's my first day!" He adds a series of ones and zeros for the Engies' benefit, followed by the coarse Rock dialect. He then just says "Click click click."
blancfaye7

Postby blancfaye7 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:59 am

I wish I could do that, but I think if I will do a big update or addition of dialogues, I think it would be better to create another mod for that.

Unfortunately, I have little to no knowledge how modding works in FTL, and I don't have the luxury of time in the world.
Current Written Work: Planet Gradius
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:31 am

blancfaye7 wrote:I wish I could do that, but I think if I will do a big update or addition of dialogues, I think it would be better to create another mod for that.

Unfortunately, I have little to no knowledge how modding works in FTL, and I don't have the luxury of time in the world.

just creating additional dialogues isn't that bad at all (well, except for coming up with them :P). with these generic Rebel fights, I think it's really not that bad since they use textLists to begin with (load a random text from a list of other texts) so it's simply just a matter of adding more texts to it.

if that isn't the case, you can use a textList to replace <text> tags of an event. you can see an example here where I went into detail and also provided an example of an event where all the texts load a text from a textList (and unleashed my creative writing side :D): viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15663&p=107437&hilit=textlist#p107437
blancfaye7

Postby blancfaye7 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:08 am

So you mean, I'll just add

Code: Select all

<textList>
tags outside, then add more

<text>
tags inside so that the game randomly chooses what dialogue to display?

... If so, then creating another mod is not an option here but rather tinker around the CE files itself.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:03 am

blancfaye7 wrote:So you mean, I'll just add

<textList>
tags outside, then add more

<text>
tags inside so that the game randomly chooses what dialogue to display?

yeah pretty much, make a textList, put in <text> entries, then call that textList from wherever you want. I think you can call a textList from multiple places without causing any game issues, unlike events in some instances. I'll give an example and maybe it'll clear it up.

<event name="HELLO">
   <text>Hello welcome to my event.</text>
   <choice>
      <text>This choice does nothing!</text>
      <event/>
   </choice>
</event>

using textLists

<textList name="HELLO_START">
   <text>Hello welcome to my event.</text>
   <text>Hey bruh this is my event. You gonna do somethin' or what?</text>
</textList>
<textList name="HELLO_CHOICE">
   <text>This choice does nothing!</text>
   <text>I am a choice, the only choice. Just click me already.</text>
</textList>
<event name="HELLO">
   <text load="HELLO_START"/>
   <choice>
      <text load="HELLO_CHOICE"/>
      <event/>
   </choice>
</event>

<text load="..." /> will call the given textList and randomly choose a <text> from it and put it there.

blancfaye7 wrote:... If so, then creating another mod is not an option here but rather tinker around the CE files itself.

you mean it's not necessary. you'll still need Sleeper's approval to add them in, and if denied you could make it an add-on to CE via slipstream tags.
blancfaye7

Postby blancfaye7 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:46 am

I see. That's fairly easy to do. Just need to allocate my time to work on this which is near to no time (but I really wanted to do this)

So! I get now what you mean, but since this is still all new to me, I still have a few questions:
1. I can add a "global textList" file, right? Something like dialogues.xml then place all textList dialogues there?
2. If I am to create a mod, then just how would I replace the dialogues? Is it editing the files, or... appending? IDK?
3. I have no clue how to do 'hot spotting' in XML files. As far as I know, you cannot do conditionals for whatever form in the current way of modding. If there is no way, then care is really advised when doing these things since it might destroy the integrity of player immersion within events.
This is related to the above post of @stylesrj. The Old Captain saying things, then suddenly when surrendering, the old captain might just disappear from the next dialogues since they're random...
FockMolly

Postby FockMolly » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:36 pm

I can't get the download for the textures to work. Anytime I press the link it just redirects me to the same page. The others did work. Do you perhaps have a mirror?
blancfaye7

Postby blancfaye7 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:27 am

FockMolly wrote:I can't get the download for the textures to work. Anytime I press the link it just redirects me to the same page. The others did work. Do you perhaps have a mirror?

it would be useful if you provide the exact texture pack you're referring to. there are several texture packs in the original post.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:52 pm

blancfaye7 wrote:So! I get now what you mean, but since this is still all new to me, I still have a few questions:
1. I can add a "global textList" file, right? Something like dialogues.xml then place all textList dialogues there?

unfortunately no, I don't think so. the only way to do it would be to add it to one of the current files (for example, events.xml, events_mantis.xml, etc.)
blancfaye7 wrote:2. If I am to create a mod, then just how would I replace the dialogues? Is it editing the files, or... appending? IDK?

replacing the entire file containing the event should really only be done for a standalone mod. the best way to create an add-on is to yes, append via events.xml.append and use Slipstream tags (like <mod:findName name="..." type="...">), to find the name of the original event, and the tags it has. this lets you go through events without needing to replace them completely.

inside readme_modders.txt under Advanced XML are the descriptions for them. here is a good starting place for examples: viewtopic.php?t=26426 and this mod can give you an idea of how do use <mod:findComposite>: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30333
blancfaye7 wrote:3. I have no clue how to do 'hot spotting' in XML files. As far as I know, you cannot do conditionals for whatever form in the current way of modding. If there is no way, then care is really advised when doing these things since it might destroy the integrity of player immersion within events.
This is related to the above post of @stylesrj. The Old Captain saying things, then suddenly when surrendering, the old captain might just disappear from the next dialogues since they're random...

as I mentioned, slipstream tags let you make it more of an add-on. while there aren't conditionals, after making a duplicate of the event, identical just the textList sources are different, you could either:
  1. create an eventList that has the same name as the base event and rename the base event. then put the event and the "duplicate" event into this new eventList.
  2. create an eventList with a different name than the base event, and overwrite the spot of the base event in every other eventList with the name of this new event. then just put the base event and the duplicate into the new eventList.
so in other words when this event is called, you get two possible outcomes. the first is the original event without the old captain, and the second is the original event with the old captain.
blancfaye7

Postby blancfaye7 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:39 am

Damn... I guess I won't be able to do this unless I remove some of my current activities out of the way since I need to spend quality time for this to become a reality (of course). I recently had a 'modding disaster' too, which is a huge factor of me choosing other activities over this one. Oh well... Maybe someday I'll find the inspiration to do this, but it might be too late when it comes.