FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
blancfaye7

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.299/Inf 1.299b/EL 1.299b

Postby blancfaye7 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:30 am

Atruejedi wrote:Isn't "Explore the asteroid field" just a bit too brutal to the player? Not only will you take a number of automatic damage points via event, but then you'll be pelted so quickly with asteroids that, unless you have 3 shield bubbles, you'll take persistent damage until you finally jump away. It's rage-inducing. I'd be fine with one OR the other... but both is extreme.

Then don't explore the Asteroid Field. :P

EDIT 1:
Something caught my attention recently. I had friends that I didn't know were playing FTL. Most of them were playing using iPad. Can you play CE on iPad?
If I am right, isn't the mod just appends data and resources to the vanilla game? I assume that the .dat files of Steam version is the same as iPad's.
If you can play CE on iPad, I suggest to add something in the OP which will inform players that CE is playable on iPad. Methods, tho, idk how.
Current Written Work: Planet Gradius
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:46 am

blancfaye7 wrote:Can you play CE on iPad?

Nope, not unless you jailbreak your iPad like my friend did to his.
I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
Check out the details here.
blancfaye7

Postby blancfaye7 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:42 pm

elijahdb wrote:
blancfaye7 wrote:Can you play CE on iPad?

Nope, not unless you jailbreak your iPad like my friend did to his.

That means you can, then ;)

Buuuuut I don't think I like the idea of putting steps on OP with the motive of needing to jailbreak iPad.
blancfaye7

Postby blancfaye7 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:34 pm

When jumping to another sector or beacon, we can see the sector map. In CE Infinite, you can go infinitely in space with controlled difficulty. Problem is that, when you go to Contested Deep Space, it's sector is "?".

So when my game is going on for a long time (more than a day with rests in between), I tend to forget which sector difficulty I was in. Sometimes i was at Sector 7 unknowingly, then I jumped to the Flagship battle, which frustrated me because I wanted to make that run go infinitely until mt ship breaks.

Can that "?" be replaced with the Sector number?
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:04 pm

blancfaye7 wrote:In CE Infinite ... Contested Deep Space, it's sector is "?".

So when my game is going on for a long time (more than a day with rests in between), I tend to forget which sector difficulty I was in. Sometimes i was at Sector 7 unknowingly, then I jumped to the Flagship battle, which frustrated me because I wanted to make that run go infinitely until mt ship breaks.

Can that "?" be replaced with the Sector number?

unfortunately not, since technically each dive places you in the hidden crystal worlds/testing sector,

in Arsenal+, they keep track of the sector by piloting upgrades, but that interferes with system stuff so it's not an option here.
--
I did just think of something, inevitably it interferes with the game a bit as it'll take up an augment slot: every time you take the catapult jump that takes a whole lot a fuel, you get an augment which is just an event augment, sells for nothing but does exactly what you described: tells you which sector you're in.

first, when the game starts, you get the augment "Difficulty - Sector 1". then when you get to the exit beacon, this is the req for the catapult jump choice (need this so that there is at all times only 1 catapult jump choice), which when you select it, it gives you the next level, "Difficulty - Sector 2". then this new augment will be a req for the next exit beacon and so on.

having multiple of these empty augments doesn't matter because the highest one will tell you what sector difficulty you're in. the catch is that you'll need it to get to the next sector and if you sell the current one you have you won't be able to journey towards the base.
this may be able to be remedied by giving you a blank augment of this type, something like "Difficulty - Placeholder" if you don't have any of the other augments and place it somewhere so that you can access the other augments or something. this is getting mildly confusing and is probably better explained with code.

or you could just write down which sector you're in on a scrap of paper IRL whenever you take the catapult jump :P
blancfaye7

Postby blancfaye7 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:24 am

mr_easy_money wrote:unfortunately not, since technically each dive places you in the hidden crystal worlds/testing sector,

...!
*Used Rock ship*
*Went to Deep Space*
*Achievement*
*ok. ROFL...*

mr_easy_money wrote:I did just think of something, inevitably it interferes with the game a bit as it'll take up an augment slot: every time you take the catapult jump that takes a whole lot a fuel, you get an augment which is just an event augment, sells for nothing but does exactly what you described: tells you which sector you're in.

first, when the game starts, you get the augment "Difficulty - Sector 1". then when you get to the exit beacon, this is the req for the catapult jump choice (need this so that there is at all times only 1 catapult jump choice), which when you select it, it gives you the next level, "Difficulty - Sector 2". then this new augment will be a req for the next exit beacon and so on.

having multiple of these empty augments doesn't matter because the highest one will tell you what sector difficulty you're in. the catch is that you'll need it to get to the next sector and if you sell the current one you have you won't be able to journey towards the base.
this may be able to be remedied by giving you a blank augment of this type, something like "Difficulty - Placeholder" if you don't have any of the other augments and place it somewhere so that you can access the other augments or something. this is getting mildly confusing and is probably better explained with code.

Yeah that was rather confusing. Wouldn't that break the UI?

mr_easy_money wrote:or you could just write down which sector you're in on a scrap of paper IRL whenever you take the catapult jump :P

I really haven't thought of this... lol.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:17 pm

blancfaye7 wrote:Yeah that was rather confusing. Wouldn't that break the UI?

lemme break it down, with pictures this time:

mr_easy_money wrote:first, when the game starts, you get the augment "Difficulty - Sector 1".

mr_easy_money wrote:then when you get to the exit beacon, this is the req for the catapult jump choice (need this so that there is at all times only 1 catapult jump choice), which when you select it, it gives you the next level, "Difficulty - Sector 2". then this new augment will be a req for the next exit beacon and so on.

Right now I have the Difficulty - Sector 1 augment, and I choose the catapult jump. ::edit;; added in the thing about the placeholder and indicate which sector you're going to.

Choosing the catapult jump when I have the sector 1 augment gives me the sector 2 augment. ::edit;; made it look nicer

yeah, so I have both augments now, and when I get the chance I can throw away the lower sector's one. it's okay because you know that the highest sector augment you have will be the difficulty you're in.

I missed something crucial in this: the text for the catapult jump choice should indicate what the next sector is.
::edit;; added this in...

then these augments will make sense, and even if you have two of them, you'll choose the highest sector choice. since you can only have a max of 3 augments, the end beacon will only have a max of 4 choices (5 including the placeholder). t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶m̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶f̶l̶a̶w̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶e̶a̶s̶i̶l̶y̶ ̶f̶i̶x̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶g̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶o̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶i̶n̶d̶i̶c̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶x̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶c̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶i̶s̶.̶ ~~~ done.

to be honest, this isn't that bad of a solution: it'll tell you where the catapult jump leads, which is exactly what you were looking for. the main problem obviously is that it takes up an augment slot, and as such you'll need to leave a slot for it.

::edit:: if you sell your highest augment then this setup will no longer keep track correctly, so don't do that! In case you do that, there'll be a placeholder option so that you can still jump to the next sector if you don't have any augments. if for some reason, you sell your higher augment out of two, this system will no longer work... in any case if you find yourself with two augments (like above) try to get rid of the lower one.

maybe also an option to get the right augment in case you lose it but know which difficulty level you're in, for the future. it's a small thing but might be helpful and isn't a bad thing since it can be implemented.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:33 pm

Ok I'll try to roll out an update dealing with those latest reports. CE also got a good deal of spellchecking help recently, with lots of activity on the git repository. Thanks to everyone involved, you are improving the mod experience for thousands of people. Awesome!

In unrelated news:
My standalone shmup roguelike Hyperspace Dogfights is now on Steam Greenlight.
If I could get your votes that would help me out a lot. Thanks!
Also if you want to get into the alpha you can get the thing for cheap on Itch.io right now.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:21 am

Yo sleepy, long time no see. Still holding the fort, eh?

I recently got the munchies for some FTL, so I guessed I should stop by and say hi on my way to reinstalling the mods.

I see some big changes since last time I played, as well as surely many unseen and small but numerically significant fixes.

For instance, combat augments now use up power from the generator. Out of curiosity, is the enemy power capped as well? And does the Internal Generator now let you use combat augments without reducing generator output instead of letting you use two at once?
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:30 am

Mr. Mister wrote:For instance, combat augments now use up power from the generator. Out of curiosity, is the enemy power capped as well?

I believe so. also don't forget enemies can have backup battery, and who knows, maybe it can also go higher than 2 levels?

Mr. Mister wrote:And does the Internal Generator now let you use combat augments without reducing generator output instead of letting you use two at once?

the Internal Generator lets you either use combat augments without reducing generator output or power up another one, so you can do either one, not instead of.