How to change soundtrack?

General discussion about the game.
Fulminis

How to change soundtrack?

Postby Fulminis » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:00 pm

So i was messing with the game files and then i found some soundtrack files and i thought i could change them by just copying and pasting the name on another file and then putting it at the FTL folder but it didn't worked..
Seems like i have to do it in a different way, i saw mods that change the soundtrack so if anyone know how to make those or just tell me a simple way to change the soundtrack i'd be happy :D
Biohazard063

Re: How to change soundtrack?

Postby Biohazard063 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:06 pm

In order to change the tracks in game, you'll need to resort to using mods.
Or find a way to open the .dat folders and replaces the tracks you find in the music folder in one of those.
Think there's a program floating around that does that...
Though making and using a mod is probably the easier way of going about things.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
Fulminis

Postby Fulminis » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:23 pm

So any soundtrack mods tutorial out there? i extracted a soundtrack mod and followed it's setup and it didn't worked either...
I'm going to try to find more mods that change sounds etc and see if i can get stuff to work but this looks hard for a simple soundtrack change doe.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:47 am

Fulminis wrote:So any soundtrack mods tutorial out there? i extracted a soundtrack mod and followed it's setup and it didn't worked either...
I'm going to try to find more mods that change sounds etc and see if i can get stuff to work but this looks hard for a simple soundtrack change doe.

the following link seems to be the most comprehensive tutorial by the creator of Captain's Edition, Sleeper Service: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3044#p84139

the tutorial covers how to add new tracks into the game. if you are just trying to replace the tracks (note that the tutorial might still be of use) then the following might be happening:

Fulminis wrote:...just copying and pasting the name on another file and then putting it at the FTL folder but it didn't worked.

if you did this but zipped it up and loaded it in as a mod, the trouble might be that the soundtracks for the explore and combat versions of each track are not the same length in seconds. as Sleeper points out in the tutorial: "Note: <explore> and <combat> tracks must always have the same length in seconds to work correctly together."

I suppose if the variants you use for each track are not variants but are both the same song, that issue shouldn't happen (obviously then there won't be any combat variant of a song, so things won't bump up in intensity when there's a fight).

maybe the tracks you put in don't match the file extension detailed in sounds.xml, e.g. the original tracks are in ".ogg" format and in sounds.xml they are listed as such, whereas your files might be in a different format like .mp3, .mp4, or .wav

I hope that was comprehensive. it sounds like you wanted to replace the original songs, but if you wanted to make a new mod that added them into the game, I suggest you either start a new topic in the Mods Development subforum or in the Mods Development questions thread (pinned at the top).

I hope that this doesn't seem overwhelming, and I hope that what you are trying to accomplish works :mrgreen:
Mrsyt

Postby Mrsyt » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:32 pm

Biohazard063 wrote:In order to change the tracks in game, you'll need to resort to using mods.
Or find a way to open the .dat folders and replaces the tracks you find in the music folder in one of those.
Think there's a program floating around that does that...
Though making and using a mod is probably the easier way of going about things.

You saved my life! Thank you :)
Josep

Postby Josep » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:56 am

Thank you so much. I was searching for this solution for a long time. Glad that I found this here.