[OVERHAUL] Arsenal+ English Translation

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
mr_easy_money

Re: [MOD][WIP]Arsenal+ English Translation Attempt

Postby mr_easy_money » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:23 pm

Ryuu wrote:In case you need help from native Russian with good English level - sign me up :).

if you or anybody can help that would be appreciated ;) I just don't want to ask people for this kind of help unless they actually want to develop the mod, otherwise, I feel like I would be wasting their time...

yeah I mean the only way I'm doing the translation is using online translators and rearranging the sentences so that they make sense, but I indeed feel that I am missing some things because of the way the Russian language is; online translators have no way of knowing the context or even if the sentence makes any sense once translated.
bamalf wrote:Just take original names of the same weapons from CE mod :)

yeah okay. just... are there only weapons and drones etc. from CE or are there also events? or were you just inspired by the events? or both? FearTheBlaziken mentioned that looking at CE and Insurrection events helped him translate the events so maybe I should look into that.
bamalf

Postby bamalf » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:43 pm

There are no events from CE in Arsenal. I don't know what events there are in CE, because my English skill is poor :oops:
Image Image Image
Ryuu

Postby Ryuu » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:45 pm

mr_easy_money wrote:if you or anybody can help that would be appreciated ;) I just don't want to ask people for this kind of help unless they actually want to develop the mod, otherwise, I feel like I would be wasting their time...

I have much spare time and it would be cool to help out FTL community :). Send me over pieces you're especially puzzled with, let's see how works. If you're interested in understanding Russian - i can leave some extra comments :geek:.

mr_easy_money wrote:yeah I mean the only way I'm doing the translation is using online translators and rearranging the sentences so that they make sense, but I indeed feel that I am missing some things because of the way the Russian language is; online translators have no way of knowing the context or even if the sentence makes any sense once translated.
Yeap, online translators suck in general, but for Russian and such special theme it should be horrible. Also i've never seen fan-translation projects from Russian to English, usually it's the other way; and I'm quite puzzled why would anybody take this without at least some knowledge of Russian, or help for that matter :shock:
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:23 pm

Ryuu wrote:I have much spare time and it would be cool to help out FTL community :). Send me over pieces you're especially puzzled with, let's see how works.

Okay sounds good.
Ryuu wrote:If you're interested in understanding Russian - i can leave some extra comments :geek:.

I dunno. learning Russian? I've thought about it, but I mean, just for this mod? It would be cool to learn a little bit, I mean I looked at the alphabet so when it comes to translating the names it make it a little easier...
Ryuu wrote:Yeap, online translators suck in general, but for Russian and such special theme it should be horrible. Also i've never seen fan-translation projects from Russian to English, usually it's the other way; and I'm quite puzzled why would anybody take this without at least some knowledge of Russian, or help for that matter :shock:

Maybe you're missing the point. I'm trying to translate this just so that it's playable, not so that it's perfect English. I mean sure, there are times when the translation doesn't make any sense, but I'm not smacking it in the translator then taking it out raw. I try to make sense of it, even though I don't know any Russian. From what I've played so far of it, it's been fun. I just want others to be able to experience it and I haven't seen anyone else come out with it so here's my try. Like I said, it's not going to be that great, especially since I don't know Russian. But at least I'm trying. Otherwise you only have the chance to play it in Russian :|
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:44 pm

update v 0.4 for the Arsenal+ English Translation is here!

I translated all the sector names, so know you know which sector you're going into.

fixed some grammar issues and missing translation on some weapons, augments and drones. changed some of the augment names too.

fixed system description and name translation errors

added some event chains that took time but since there are so many events there is still a lot of events left untranslated. This mod is quite fun to figure out the translation for and see how the events are structured, so I take this as a morale boost :)

I would just like to re-highlight that I am not taking translation from online translators raw, I am using them as a guideline of what content is in a given sentence, so that when I phrase it I know what to write, but I use my own grammar skills to make the sentence(s) make sense. From time to time, if a particular part of it is tricky I do indeed seek out help from others...

that's all I got to say for now... oh yes, one last thing. the music they put in Arsenal+ is quite good :mrgreen:
bamalf

Postby bamalf » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:19 pm

We have released big update with new sector that did this summer. :roll: I left a mark "1.21" for you in the key places of code so you see these changes.
Image Image Image
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:27 am

bamalf wrote:We have released big update with new sector that did this summer. :roll: I left a mark "1.21" for you in the key places of code so you see these changes.

okay I'll look into that when I get the free time. Progress on this will probably slow down considerably once classes start which is in a week, but I'll try to push out an update that includes this 1.21 update over the weekend; going to be busy next few days
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:01 am

in the process of getting the changes through. working on weapons atm, probably won't be able update all of it by tonight

@bamalf
the prism laser has a description of this:
(Russian) Этот тяжёлый лазер аватаров способен ионизировать системы и с высокой вероятностью пробивать бреши.
(English) This heavy avatar laser is able to ionize the targeted system and has a high breach chance.
see how it says high? however, I see in this latest you changed the breach chance from 4 to 2. neither 2 nor 4 is a high breach chance...
main word here: высокой translates to "high". can't mean low.

same thing goes for the other prism lasers; 3 or 5 is still not even high. was 5 is now 3. this can be tested on the DLC ship that replaces Lanius A which comes equipped with the first two IIRC

TL;DR description for prism lasers should read low, not high.

also, what does Шест translate too? should I leave it as Shest, or something like "Pole" or "Stave"?

EDIT: finished weapons and "dlc" type blueprints. going for events now. also putting here before I forget to ask if any specific enemy ships have been added, and what img folder changes there were. I can go through them myself, but if you know then that would be nice.

also going to add the main link for the russian version of the mod (the original) later and once again thanks for putting all those <!-- 1.21 --> 's. those made it easy to go through the changes. (except for when I put my computer to sleep with the blueprints file still up on notepad++ only to return and find the computer had shut down and turned the entire file into a series of black NULL characters. good thing I at least had a backup so all the other minor fixes I put in before hand didn't get lost.
bamalf

Postby bamalf » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:21 am

mr_easy_money wrote:TL;DR description for prism lasers should read low, not high.
that's right, I forgot to correct the description
mr_easy_money wrote:should I leave it as Shest, or something like "Pole" or "Stave"?
Stave is a suitable version
mr_easy_money wrote:also putting here before I forget to ask if any specific enemy ships have been added, and what img folder changes there were
new ships begin with the string "<blueprintList name="CIRCLE_ART_SHIPS">" and below, also I recommend to update img folder completely
mr_easy_money wrote:and once again thanks for putting all those <!-- 1.21 --> 's
Please note that there are found not only <!-- 1.21 -->, but also other notes such as <-! 1.21 + below ->
Image Image Image
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:20 am

The 1.21 summer update has been added to the English Translation! :D

PLEASE NOTE that the Resource Pack has been updated, including new images, and I got rid of some other images. the Resource Pack updates will only happen when the original Russian version of the mod is updated, like it just was
EDIT also if I need to change the metadata.xml, because atm it's just a bunch of transliterated Russian. same goes for the Data file, but it's so small that I can change it easily and so can others

I updated the Data file, releasing v 0.5 which includes the summer update and some other updates I made along the way. the changelog describes all this stuff and more in detail.
bamalf wrote:
mr_easy_money wrote:also putting here before I forget to ask if any specific enemy ships have been added, and what img folder changes there were
new ships begin with the string "<blueprintList name="CIRCLE_ART_SHIPS">" and below ...

okay at the time I was just asking what files like "hal_assault.xml" (and the .txt files too). It doesn't matter anymore because I updated it with all that stuff. thanks for the heads up about the autoBlueprints.xml info but I figured that out because there were more lines in the updated version, so I went to the bottom and found there were those changes you indicated